The National Association of County and City Health Officials (NACCHO), a national organization representing approximately 2,800 local health departments (LHDs) nationwide, has an immediate opening for a Sr. Human Resources Generalist.
A Sr. HR Generalist is responsible for providing professional support for HR programs or internal functional activities and typically performs administrative functions and moderately difficult analysis, research, writing, and project coordination, usually under the direction of a Manager or Senior Level HR professional. The incumbent understands policies, standards, and their application to their work. An advanced degree may be substituted for work experience on a case-by-case basis. The incumbent understands implications of internal and external policies that impact their position. The Sr. HR Generalist typically performs analysis, research, writing, or project management and can complete projects or components of large-scale projects/programs with little supervision.
A Sr. HR Generalist may also hold a very senior level administrative position requiring the ability to support and coordinate the office of a senior executive and communicate with internal and external stakeholders at a level commensurate with the position's duties and expectations. The Sr. HR Generalist may have frequent contact with outside organizations or internal customers that may involve project coordination, information sharing, or resolution of problems.
COMPETENCIES AND EXPECTATIONS:
- Undertakes a complex task by breaking it down into manageable parts in a systematic, detailed way.
- Identifies the information needed to solve a problem effectively.
- Thinks carefully about the likely effects on others of one's words, actions, appearance, and mode of behavior.
- Effectively transfers thoughts and expresses ideas orally or verbally in individual or group situations.
- Thoroughness in accomplishing a task through concern for all the areas involved, no matter how small. Monitors and checks work or information and plans and organizes time and resources efficiently.
- Demonstrates eagerness to acquire necessary technical knowledge, skills, and judgment to accomplish a result or to serve a member needs effectively. Has desire and drive to acquire knowledge and skills necessary to perform job more effectively.
- Applies original thinking in approach to job responsibilities and to improve processes, methods, systems, or services.
- Builds a logical approach to address problems or opportunities or manage the situation at hand by drawing on one's knowledge and experience base and calling on other references and resources, as necessary.
- Provides guidance and technical assistance through communications, project planning and coordination, and targeted marketing.
- Independently develops, prepares, and disseminates reports.
- Works collaboratively with others to support technical assistance activities.
- Act as liaison with staff as needed in specialization area.
- Track and analyze policies and best practices.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Project Management - Develops project plans; coordinates projects; communicates changes and progress; completes projects on time and budget; manages project team activities.
- Technical Skills - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; shares expertise with others.
- Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; responds promptly to customer needs; solicits customer feedback to improve service; responds to requests for service and assistance; meets commitments.
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and ethically; upholds organizational values.
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; applies feedback to improve performance; monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; reports potentially unsafe conditions; uses equipment and materials properly.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Initiative - Volunteers readily; undertakes self-development activities; seeks increased responsibilities; takes independent actions and calculated risks; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; asks for and offers help when needed.
POSITION SPECIFIC DUTIES:
- Maintain accurate and up to date human resources files, records, and documentation.
- Assist with the pre-employment process and onboarding of new hires.
- Ensure timely and accurate entries to the HRIS database.
- Prepare and review department invoices.
- Provide personnel policy and procedure guidance to employees.
- Provide information by answering communications, referring special communications to appropriate HR member.
- Maintain new hire on-boarding orientation.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of federal and state employment law and compliance requirements, ask for assistance, as necessary.
- Facilitate exit interviews.
- Assist with responding to unemployment and investigations claims.
- Perform employee relations functions including support and counseling regarding personnel and job-related conflicts, problem solving and dispute resolution.
- First point of contact for labor relations
- May recruit and staff from internal and external sources.
- Maintain organizational chart.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in relevant professional field with a minimum of 5-7 years of relevant experience and/or advanced technical training; or equivalent combination of education and experience, including a relevant certification. An advanced degree may be substituted for work experience. On occasion, extensive practical experience may be substituted for formal education, particularly if the technical specialty is unusually complex or when long experience has a greater value to the organization than conceptual understanding.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization.
- Ability to prioritize and organize work effectively.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form.
- Spreadsheet and word processing software experience required.
- Strong knowledge of employee relations procedures and applicable law.
- Strong knowledge of labor relations procedures and applicable law.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Occasionally required to sit.
- Occasionally required to walk.
- Occasionally required to reach with hands and arms.
- Occasionally required to talk or hear.
- Occasionally required to bend, lift or climb stairs.
- Occasionally required to lift light weights (less than 25 pounds).
- The noise level in the work environment usually is moderate
HIRING SALARY RANGE: $75,000 - $79,000
SELECTION PROCESS: We only accept applications that follow the electronic process. No phone calls please. This position is subject to background screening. Qualified applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and complete the online application, with salary requirements to: PN- 86 Sr. HR Generalist, using the following link:
NACCHO offers generous benefits plan including but not limited to 13 days of sick leave annual leave allowable accumulation up to 225 hours, and paid vacation leave, as well as other types of leave. NACCHO benefits include a generous health, dental, and vision plan, 5 percent of base salary contribution to 403(b) plan, (not a matching contribution); paid short and long term disability plan and paid term life insurance.
At NACCHO, our commitment to equal employment opportunity and affirmative action seeks to ensure a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
<img src="https://www.click2apply.net/v/7eQG1zs6kW7LlUeAGH62RM" />