ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Founded in 1999, BUILD's mission is to use entrepreneurship to ignite the power of youth in under-resourced communities to build Career success, Entrepreneurial mindsets, and Opportunity. We help students become the CEO of their own lives.
BUILD's unique program offers students a four-year entrepreneurship experience designed to develop 21st Century Skills and motivate student engagement in school. Starting in 9th grade, BUILD students work with their peers and community mentors to develop business ideas, pitch to funders and launch real businesses. As students journey through high school and continue to grow their businesses, BUILD helps them explore college and career options, and assists students with the college application process. Entrepreneurship is the spark – college, career, and life success are the goals.
BUILD currently serves approximately 2,000 high school students annually at programs located in the San Francisco Bay Area, Washington DC, New York City and Boston. Our new digital offerings, Gen E, are reaching up to 15,000 students in 50 cities. BUILD believes in the potential of every student and is dedicated to breaking down the educational, economic and social barriers that stand in the way of their long-term success. The remarkable young men and women whom they serve are at the center of everything they do. They are intentional about their culture so that they can best support them.
For more information, please visit www.build.org
ABOUT THE POSITION
BUILD New York City seeks an experienced and collaborative leader to serve as the Regional Executive Director New York. As the Regional Executive Director (RED), you will play a key role in fundraising and spearheading BUILD's current work while driving the vision, strategy and execution of the Gen E campaign across the New York region. The RED will lead the planning, execution, and expansion of BUILD New York's education programs, fundraising goals, operations, and strategic planning. This person will own forging strategic relationships with high-functioning boards, corporations, foundations, individuals and media outlets as well as deepen partnerships with community and school district leaders. This person will also serve on the national leadership team and inform the national strategies for digital acceleration, geographic expansion, and systemic change.
Reporting directly to the President and managing a team of ten, the Regional Executive Director will play a crucial role in scaling BUILD New York City's impact and ensure excellence in serving our 300+ high school participants in seven partner schools. This person will play a key role in scaling the impact of the New York area with an opportunity to manage the region towards being one of the top contributors of the BUILD national organization. Additionally, this role will manage and work closely with regional staff to achieve outcomes, develop a sustainable strategy to expand BUILD's presence in New York and maximize short and long-term impact.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
Strategy, Scale and Programmatic Excellence
- Plan and execute BUILD New York City's overall strategic direction, including growth plans for scaling across the region
- Develop the annual regional plan and $2M budget in alignment with national strategic plans/programmatic priorities
- Assess current organizational status and resources to determine how to best scale the organization in a sustainable and efficient manner
- Work with BUILD New York City's Program Director and National Impact and Organizational Learning team to ensure the effective implementation of BUILD's in-person four-year and digital/hybrid programming in the region
- Oversee all regional operations including facilities and IT, working in collaboration with the national office and external IT team
- Scout and select prospective schools and other strategic partnerships for regional expansion
- Work with corporate partners to create skills-based volunteering opportunities that serve BUILD students
- Contribute to the organization's National Leadership Team by providing input to strategy and priorities and executing organizational outcomes
Fundraising & External Relations
- With the development team and regional board, raise BUILD New York's annual operating budget by developing and executing a regional development plan that features corporate, foundation, individual, government and event funding streams
- Coordinate with BUILD's National Office for grant writing and event management support
- Partner with the New York Director of Philanthropy to develop and implement a three-year revenue strategy; scale the development function by maintaining current funders, cultivating new donors, and generating new revenue streams
- Serve as the external spokesperson for BUILD with key partners in the NYC DoE, school districts, local government, corporations, nonprofits, individuals, philanthropic organizations, community groups, and the media to increase visibility and brand awareness of the BUILD program
- Participate in community building activities and events to deepen relationships and connections
- Ensure that the organization remains a trusted partner to the schools and districts with which it partners
Organizational and Cultural Leadership
- Engage a highly effective Regional Advisory Board to support with local and regional strategy, fundraising, while widening the circle of BUILD supporters
- Actively participate as a learner and as a change agent as the organization deepens our work around diversity, equity, and inclusion, and racial justice
- Manage overall fiduciary and managerial responsibility for all of the BUILD New York's activities, including its annual budget of $2 million and diverse 10-person team who share a deep commitment to racial and social justice
- Maintain existing and develop new vendor relationships with the New York Public Schools, Department of Education and other satellite partners across different locations.
- At least seven to 10+ years of professional experience in executive leadership, nonprofit management, and/or development
- A proven track record and passion for fundraising and a history of successfully taking organizations to the next level of sustained philanthropic support
- Proven track record of successfully leading, managing, and growing a performance- and outcomes-based department, organization, or enterprise, preferably within the educational, nonprofit or philanthropic sectors
- Commitment and experience to diversity, equity, inclusion as well as belonging best practices and continuous learning
- Thrives in a lean, fast-paced, high-growth, collaborative, and entrepreneurial environment
- An empathetic leader with a demonstrated record of respectful collaboration with disciplined productivity across all team members
- Self-motivated and inspirational problem solver with experience collaborating effectively with direct reports, Board Members, external partners colleagues alike
- Proven success of effectively leading and scaling an organization and staff, ideally across geographies
- Excellent strategic, analytical, and problem solving skills with a solutions-oriented mindset to overcome challenges
- Exceptional oral and written communication, networking and public engagement skills, including the ability to adapt style and approach to diverse local constituencies and needs
- Ability to build sustainable and productive partnerships with nonprofits, philanthropic partners, academic institutions, and city and state government
- Ability to compel others to action as a key storyteller of BUILD's path to impact, priorities for growth and ongoing contributions to the communities and young people they serve
- Working knowledge of current educational policies and practices; experience working in an educational, youth-based organization preferred
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
BUILD is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to sustaining a diverse community with a work environment that is welcoming, respectful, and encouraging to all. We foster a culture of inclusion that celebrates and cultivates diversity along multiple dimensions, including race, ethnicity, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, out-of-home care, age, national origin, socioeconomic status, religion, and ability, culture, and experience.
On-Ramps is committed to the inclusion of all qualified individuals in the hiring process, including but not limited to those with disabilities. If you require reasonable accommodation(s) to participate in the application or interview process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.