The New York Stem Cell Foundation (NYSCF) Research Institute is a growing and successful nonprofit whose mission is to accelerate cures through stem cell research.
NYSCF is seeking a full-stack Software Engineer to support the NYSCF Global Stem Cell Array®. This robotic system automates research using human stem cell models. In this role, you will be responsible for developing and maintaining web applications and services that form the backbone of our ever-evolving, state-of-the-art research laboratory and empower our scientists in their research.
You will join our Software Engineering team, reporting to the Senior Staff Software Engineer. The role will see you working both independently and collaboratively with fellow software engineers, and will involve interfacing directly with the wider Array team (consisting of biologists, automation engineers, data scientists, and project managers). The projects you'll be working on will be wide-ranging, exciting, and novel, but ultimately based on enabling and supporting our research labs' core functionality.
What you'll do
- Develop new features for the NYSCF WebSuite, a custom Laboratory Information System (LIMS) web application that enables end-users to track, optimize and automate lab workflows
- Develop services to streamline data pipelines for novel experiments
- Design and maintain relational database structures to capture new data types
- Develop ad hoc SQL scripts to provide data insights for NYSCF staff
- Resolve ticketed issues and feature requests raised by Array team members
- Learn the ins and outs of the Array, interface directly with its architects and end-users to understand their needs, and transform the concept into code
- Learn, advise and apply best practices in a feedback-centric, agile software engineering team to ultimately produce clean and highly optimized code
- Adapt to the fast-paced, evolving nature of NYSCF's Research Institute, rise to meet the demands of increasingly complex technical projects
What we're looking for
- 2+ years of professional software engineering experience:
- Frontend: React, TypeScript, GraphQL
- Backend: .NET Core, C#, Entity Framework, SQL
- Automated unit/integration testing
- <i>Nice-to-have experience:</i>
- Frontend: Apollo Client, Redux
- AWS: ElasticBeanstalk, Lambda, EC2, RDS, S3
- DevOps/CICD: Docker, GitHub Actions
- Consuming external APIs (e.g., Slack, GitHub, etc.)
- BSc in Computer Science, Engineering, Math or a related field
- Excellent communication skills, both technical and translational
- Self-starting, able to learn independently and work collaboratively
- Enthusiasm in their work, stem cell research, and all things technological
- Experience working in a laboratory environment is a plus
- Experience working with or for a nonprofit is a plus
We offer all full-time employees a comprehensive benefits package that goes into effect on the first of the month following your start date.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete the required employment eligibility verification upon hire. The position is located onsite on a full-time basis at our location in Manhattan.
NYSCF is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our company. It ensures equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Our Research Institute facility is a fully COVID-19 vaccinated workplace.
<img src="https://www.click2apply.net/v/b7wewpHxQbdjSjGyINMqy" />