Sanctuary for Families is New York's leading service provider and advocate for survivors of domestic violence, sex trafficking and related forms of gender violence. Every year, Sanctuary empowers thousands of adults and children to move from fear and abuse to safety and stability, transforming lives through a comprehensive range of services. We provide a range of wrap-around services to help survivors rebuild their lives in the aftermath of abuse, and work to end gender violence through three key strategies: direct services, outreach and training, and systems-change advocacy. Our services are available in 11 locations throughout New York City.
Implements and oversees the Children and Family Service Program recreational, and social activities provided by the Sanctuary for Families Children and Family Services Program at a transitional Shelter. Provides clinical observations, on-site counseling for adults and children, and referrals for counseling in the community. Trauma-informed assistance and case management services as needed to child clients and their caregivers. Conducts community outreach and training about domestic violence and its effects on children. Facilitates child and family groups and Supervises Children's Activity Leader.
- Oversees all services provided in the Children's and Family Services provided at the shelter, including childcare, activity groups, and recreational activities, to ensure the quality and appropriateness of services.
- Develops and implements themes and activities for groups and childcare conducted in the Children & Family program.
- Conducts clinical observations of the children in the playroom, regarding behavioral and emotional health as well as socialization skills; engages child's caregiver and other shelter staff, as appropriate, in discussing results of clinical observations.
- Provides advocacy and case management assistance to clients as needed.
- Facilitates groups for children and parents.
- Actively engages in inter-disciplinary collaboration and case coordination with administrative staff and other partner agencies.
- Oversees planning of periodic special events and recreational activities.
- Fills in and/or plans for coverage of the Children & family programming when necessary.
- Oversees inventory in the Children's Room and works with staff at Sanctuary for Families to ensure the Children's Room is adequately supplied.
- Distributes children's program in-kind assistance, including gifts, clothing, and children's supplies.
- Conducts community outreach and training around domestic violence and its effects on children.
- Works with appropriate staff at Sanctuary for Families to recruit and supervise volunteers and interns in the Children & Family Program.
- Supervises the Children's Activity Leader.
- Participates in weekly supervision and attends other meetings as required.
- Performs administrative tasks as needed.
- Maintains client records, and program records, and completes reports.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Reports to Program Director of Children & Family Services
- Supervises the Children's Activity Leader.
- Supervises volunteers and interns.
- Works closely with all Children and Family Services Program and Clinical Department staff at Sanctuary for Families and participates in relevant meetings and professional development opportunities.
- Works closely with the staff of partner agencies.
- Abides by protocols of the shelter as provided in the Operational Manual.
- At least 2-5 years of applicable field experience or MSW or related degree
- Experience developing and running children's groups and activities
- Experience working collaboratively with professionals across disciplines, including with attorneys, police officers, government officials, other community-based agency staff.
- Strong desire to work with children and families.
- Knowledge of domestic violence and trauma.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills and computer literacy.
- Bi-lingual English/Spanish required.
- Flexibility, creativity, and ability to take initiative and work independently to meet client needs.
- Significant experience working in a culturally diverse environment.
The work position is hybrid
Vaccination Policy: Proof of vaccination or proof of first dose with scheduled 2nd dose within 30 days is required.
Budgeted Salary $62,000
- Health, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Employer-paid life insurance
- Employer retirement contribution
- Paid time off
- Flex spending account
- Student loan assistance
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Gym reimbursement program
All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, creed (religion), color, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, age, disability, predisposing genetic characteristic, marital status or domestic violence victim status, and shall also follow the requirements of the Human Rights Law with regard to non-discrimination on the basis of prior criminal conviction and prior arrest.
D.E.I Commitment: Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion are core values at Sanctuary for Families that represent our dedication to fostering a safe, respectful, responsive, and fair work environment. We recognize the value diversity holds in embracing all employees, clients, and volunteers regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, or professional level.
<img src="https://www.click2apply.net/v/LYbpoqF2OgZOkhozduZlAN" />