Rapid Expert Assistance and Co-operation Teams for Conflict Prevention, Crisis Management & Post-Conflict Rehabilitation (REACT)
- Event publicado por Helsinki España - Dimensión Humana
Fecha límite para registrarse
Tipo de pago
Costo del evento
**scholarships available** COURSE FEE: 4950€ / Registration fee: € 350
6 Avenida de Gregorio del Amo
Comunidad de Madrid
REACT course is a five-week training programme on international peace operations intended for professionals interested in improving their knowledge of conflict prevention, crisis management and post-conflict rehabilitation, as well as in developing practical skills for their work in the field.
The course is aimed at preparing international experts for their deployment in peace operations led by international organizations including the United Nations (UN), the Organization for the Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE), the European Union (EU) and other regional organizations.
The only requirements to be part of the course are a university degree and fluent English, since all lectures are given in English.
Objectives of the course:
· To provide participants with the knowledge and skills to analyse the main threats to international peace and security; the contexts in which conflicts arise; key actors; and their impact on civilians.
· To build the capacity of participants for the prevention, management and resolution of conflicts as well as for the protection of civilians in armed conflict.
· To strengthen the capacity and confidence of participants to cope with and work in hostile environments.
The teaching staff are trainers and experts from international organizations, including the UN, OSCE and NATO; diplomats and civil servants; military personnel; police officers; experts from the ICRC and humanitarian NGOs; independent consultants; and university professors.
The course uses a variety of methodologies, including lectures and presentations, debates, group work, practical and advanced role-playing sessions, outdoor activities and simulation exercises.
As part of the REACT course, students will learn how to effectively deal with risk-associated and emergency/critical situations while deployed in hostile environments abroad. This training is expected to improve participants' understanding of the behavioural field requirements while working as a team member of an international field operation.
Module I: Conflict Prevention and Peacebuilding: conceptual framework
- Peace and conflict analysis
- Conflict prevention
- Conflict resolution
- Post-conflict reconstruction
Module II: International Law: comprehensive overview
- Public International Law: basic concepts
- International Human Rights Law
- International Humanitarian Law
- International Criminal Law
Module III: Protection of Civilians
- Protection of civilians in armed conflict
- Women, Peace and Security. Gender in Operations
- Children and Armed Conflict
- Refugees and internally displaced people
Module IV: Conflicts and current threats to international peace and security
- Asia: Afghanistan, North Korea and Myanmar
- Middle East: Israel-Palestine, Iraq, Syria and Yemen
- Sub-Saharan Africa: Centro African Republic, Democratic Republic of Congo, Mali and South Sudan
- Maghreb: Libya and Western Sahara
- Eastern Europe and Caucasus: Ukraine and Kosovo
- Latin America: Colombia
- Radicalization, terrorism and violent extremism
- Transnational organized crime
- Arms of mass destruction
Module V: Key actors and their contribution to international peace and security
- United Nations, Peace and Security Pillar
- European Union, Common Security and Defense Policy
- Organization for the Security and Cooperation in Europe, OSCE
- African Union, Common African Defense and Security Policy
- North Atlantic Treaty Organization, NATO
- The role of Civil Society
Module VI: Tools for sustainable peace
- Disarmament, Demobilization and Reintegration of ex-combatants (DDR)
- Security Sector Reform (SSR)
- Accountability and transitional justice
- Democracy and Rule of Law
- Elections in peacebuilding
- The role of media in peace and conflict
Module VII: Skills and competencies
- Awareness of threats and risks. Personal security
- Safety and security procedures for vehicle movement
- Kidnapping and hostage survival
- Weapons, mines, improvised explosive devices and unexploded ordnances
- Protection of classified and sensitive information
- First aid in hostile environments
- Orientation and communications in the field
- 4x4 off road driving
- Working with interpreters
- Stress management
- Negotiation and multicultural communication
- Chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear defense
- Addressing media
- Career development
Participants who successfully complete the course will obtain a diploma from the International University Centre for Peace Missions of Helsinki España, and the Escuela de Organización Industrial (EOI).
The course will take place in Madrid, at the premises of the ‘Escuela de Organización Industrial (EOI)’ which is located at Av. de Gregorio del Amo 6.
- Metro lines: line 6 – Metropolitano (Exit: Gregorio del Amo)
- Bus lines: 132
¿Quién debería participar?
The course is intended for professionals interested in improving their knowledge of conflict prevention, crisis management and post-conflict rehabilitation, developing practical skills for their work in the field.
Página web del evento
Detalles para confirmar asistencia
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. If you are interested in participating in this course, please fill out the registration form and send it to email@example.com
The registration form can be downloaded from https://humandimension.net/en/training-on-peace-security/curso-react/
Application deadline is March 30, 2018