The Appalachian Regional Commission (ARC) is an economic development agency of the federal government and 13 state governments focusing on 423 counties across the Appalachian Region. ARC’s mission is to innovate, partner, and invest to build community capacity and strengthen economic growth in Appalachia to help the Region achieve socioeconomic parity with the nation.
ARC is seeking an Administrative Assistant for the Appalachian Regional Commission (ARC) office and its staff carrying out a wide variety of important assignments of an administrative nature. Incumbent will be a point of contact for the office in welcoming and directing of visitors, answering phones, processing mail and emails received of the office. Provide support to office staff to include: preparation of projects, scheduling, memos, reports and travel as well as other administrative functions.
· Adept ability to use diplomacy and discretion when giving out information and referring and directing callers and visitors.
· Strong writing skills with ability to compose and edit correspondence ensuring proper grammar, punctuation and format.
· Strong organizational skills with ability to plan, organize and prioritize multiple administrative support functions.
· Demonstrated ability to maintain professionalism in demeanor and attitude in stressful situations.
· Ability to be responsive and maintain effective working relationships with management and staff at all levels within the Commission and deal effectively with contacts from outside of the Commission.
· Proficiency with Microsoft Suite (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Excel, etc.) and various other software applications such as time and attendance, travel and appointment scheduling.
· Strong technology knowledge with virtual meeting platforms such as Zoom and Microsoft Teams.
· Core competencies: accountability, adaptability, collaboration, communication, critical analysis.
· Ability to thrive in a collaborative environment and bring an energetic and innovative approach to his or her work.
· Bachelor’s degree.
· 1 to 3 years of administrative experience.
· Ability to work in the office five days a week.
· Successful completion (prior to hire) and maintenance of background security review.
· Ability to travel (~10%). If travel is needed, must maintain and possess a valid driver’s license.
Great Benefits: ARC offers a collaborative work environment and a competitive benefits package which includes health insurance, 401(k), paid time off, commuting subsidy, professional development, etc. This is not a federal position; however, if a federal employee is selected for this position and transfers without a break in service of more than three calendar days, he or she may be able to continue his or her retirement and life/health insurance benefits. ARC generally follows the General Schedule Salary Table of the Federal government. ARC’s grades denoted by “NF” are equivalent to the federal grade(s) on the GS chart. This position is a NF9 (DC locality).
Strong Mission: Curious about the work we do at ARC? Read more about our newly released strategic plan, Appalachia Envisioned, to check out our goals for the next five years. Our team is dedicated to innovation, partnerships, and investments in the Appalachian Region to help achieve socioeconomic parity with the nation. See our work in action at the Appalachia Envisioned Roadshow, where ARC is hitting the road to highlight those strategic goals and how Appalachia’s 13 states are working to achieve them.
The Appalachian Regional Commission (ARC) is an economic development agency of the federal government and 13 state governments focusing on 423 counties across the Appalachian Region. ARC’s mission is to innovate…