The Port of Portland is a gateway to the globe, we operate multiple airports, marine terminals and business parks that connect people and passengers, drive equitable economic growth and improve our region's quality of life.
The Senior Web Applications Developer for Digital Communications will work directly with the Digital Communications team to maintain and enhance the Port of Portland and Portland International Airport (PDX) internal and external websites. This individual will use current, new and evolving technologies that create efficiencies, reliability and scalability, and they will assist with the technical aspects of the Port’s digital communications systems including the Port and PDX’s public website, intranet, mobile, messaging systems and digital displays. This is an exciting role that will help shape the future digital user experiences and extend the Port's positive brand image.
The successful candidate will exhibit a strong sense of team-orientation, will be highly collaborative, and embrace the value and importance of service. This person will share our deep commitment to diversity and inclusion and advancing practices, strategies and policies that achieve equitable outcomes.
NOTE: The Port of Portland is committed to ensuring the health and safety of our employees and community. As part of this commitment, all Port employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have an approved medical or religious exception and accommodation as a condition of employment. Candidates must provide proof of vaccination or have an approved exception and accommodation prior to beginning work at the Port.
Summary of Essential Responsibilities
- Expertise in one or more areas of our full-stack (.NET Core, MVC, code-first database dev with Entity Framework, Vue.js, LESS/CSS), but we grow and change quickly and we want someone who can be adaptive and teach us a thing or two
- Must have solid understanding of data structures, building and consuming API’s
- A plus if you understand microservices architecture, architecture development, and have exposure to Azure or AWS
- Demonstrated experience building intuitive, accessible user-interfaces
- Work with an agile team to develop new tools and interfaces, and support existing web infrastructure including corporate intranet, FlyPDX.com, PortofPortland.com, and PDXNext.com
- Help administer a continuous integration environment (we currently use Team City)
- Manage complex projects and requests in a timely and effective way, meeting deadlines, project goals and objectives with little supervision
- Work in an agile team environment with designers, corporate web manager, developers and other Port staff verbally and in writing to ensure projects can move forward and/or issues or problems are identified early in the process
- Have a passion and the drive to stay current on new web and software related technologies and help move the team and applications forward from a technology perspective
Minimum Requirements/Skills and Abilities
- Expert level knowledge of MVC .NET framework and Visual Studio (required)
- Experience with Microsoft Office, Windows 10, Internet Information Services (IIS), Azure or AWS, TFS or Git, Chrome Developer Tools, and SQL Server
- Advanced knowledge of software development best practices such as S.O.L.I.D. programming, software architecture, design, usability, content organization and management
- A plus if you have exposure to an MVVM framework like Vue.js or React (we use Vue)
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrate the Port's commitment to valuing differences among individuals and passion for being inclusive
- Actively coordinate testing and deployments to production to ensure systems work as expected
- Proactively anticipate the impact of changes and how they might impact system performance and act on this knowledge
- Manage projects/requests in a timely and effective way that meets deadlines and business objectives
- Continue visual and technical skill development
- Provide positive and constructive feedback to the team
- Support the goals of the digital communications department
- Manage simultaneous activities and priorities under tight deadlines
- Support other staff members and provide well-thought-out and integrated solutions
- Promote safety as a guiding principle and a regular practice in accomplishing work
- Show the utmost respect for others and is a proven team player
- Safety: The Port promotes safety as a guiding principle and practice in accomplishing work by complying with safety and health policies and procedures and consistently seeking improvements that support operational excellence.
- Diversity and Inclusion: At the Port, we don't just accept difference; we value and support it to create a culture of inclusiveness and fun. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- EEO/Affirmative Action Policy Statement: The Port of Portland is dedicated to maintaining and improving a work environment, which extends equal opportunity to all individuals, regardless of their race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability or sexual orientation. Employment decisions shall be made in such a manner as to further the principle of equal employment opportunity and to comply with state, federal and local laws. We affirm through this policy statement our continuing commitment to the principles of nondiscrimination and affirmative action.
- Veterans Preference: Under Oregon law, qualified veterans may be eligible for veterans preference when applying for Port of Portland positions. If you are a veteran and would like to be considered for a veterans preference for this job, please provide the qualifying documents as instructed during the application process.
- Background Checks and Drug Testing: The Port of Portland will conduct background checks and/or drug tests for positions where such tests are required by regulation and for other safety-sensitive positions.
- ADA Accommodation: Accommodations will be considered for applicants or candidates with a qualifying disability that prevents them from participating in this process. Accommodations will be made where the Port can reasonably do so without imposing an undue hardship on the business or compromising the integrity of the recruitment process. An applicant with any disability who believes that they need an accommodation should contact Human Resources at 503.415.6000.