The Collections Management Technician performs a wide variety of duties related to the care of the collection, both onsite at LACMA as well as at offsite storage. Duties include artwork housing and movement, collections access, art shuttle logistics, and storeroom maintenance. This is a mid-level position within the field of collections management.
- Assist Collections Management staff with the day-to-day operations of collection storage spaces.
- Facilitate collections access.
- House museum objects for storage and transit.
- Establish collection organization with minimal guidance.
- Coordinate, prepare, receive, and release art shipments.
- Track objects in the collection database (TMS) directly or through LACMA’s internal work request system (MORA).
- Monitor storerooms for pest activity and environmental stability.
- Assist with storeroom maintenance and upgrades including constructing shelving, installing earthquake mitigation measures. Clean and organize, as needed.
- Maintain a clean work area, tools, equipment, and storage areas.
- Work within established safety standards and attend mandatory institutional safety training.
- Follow current museum best practices and standards
- Provide supervision and guidance to departmental interns and apprentices, as assigned.
- Perform other duties or special projects, as assigned.
- Maintain regular and reliable attendance.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Three years of experience with one or more of the following areas: museum collection management, art preparation and installation, museum registration, conservation, carpentry, photography, studio art, theater, film production, libraries, archives, warehouse management, fine art shipping, art gallery management, private collection management, or equivalent.
- Good hand-eye coordination, manual dexterity, and spatial reasoning.
- Experience handling delicate or fragile items.
- Knowledge of museum level packing techniques and packing materials.
- Ability to operate machinery like forklifts, scissor lifts, pallet jacks, hand trucks, dollies and stock pickers is desired.
- Experience with museum databases and Google Drive.
- Periodic travel within Los Angeles County is required.