Chestertown RiverArts is a community-based arts non-profit whose mission is “Growing community, creativity, and connection through the arts.” RiverArts pursues this mission through work in its four centers in Chestertown, Maryland- the Gallery, KidSPOT, the Clay Studio, and the ArtsAlive Education Center.
We are seeking an experienced Executive Director to lead all strategic and operational components of the organization. Working with the board, the Executive Director must build community understanding around the current mission, develop appropriate goals and strategies to advance that mission and establish operational objectives that support the mission and business plan. The Executive Director is also responsible for creating and sustaining an organizational culture that supports the staff and an engaged group of volunteer leaders in the implementation of RiverArts’s mission and vision. The continued success of RiverArts relies on the support of a large membership; nurturing and growing this membership is another essential piece of the Executive Director’s daily work.
At this phase in our organization’s growth, we are particularly interested in an Executive Director with demonstrated success in strategy and planning, and fundraising, resource development, and financial management. Additionally, this person will understand and be able to effectively communicate the role of the arts in strengthening communities and fostering the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Strategy and Planning
- Demonstrate a high level of ownership for RiverArts’s mission, goals, and programs
- Communicate a clear vision for the organization
- Work with the board to translate the mission into realistic goals and objectives
- Spur creation of well thought out plans for implementing work and monitoring progress
- Establish appropriate systems for dialogue and communication between board and staff to ensure that the board maintains a good knowledge of the organization
- Ensure that RiverArts has paid and volunteer staffing needed to carry out the mission
- Build an effective working relationship with the board and committee chairs
- Work with the Board nominating committee to identify and build relationships with potential new board members and participate in orientation
- Lead the paid and volunteer staff in managing and administering programs and services
- Develop appropriate evaluation criteria to measure the efficiency and effectiveness of programs
- Attend committee planning meetings to identify support needed
- Recommend new programs and discontinuation or modification of existing programs as appropriate
Fundraising and Resource Development
- Develop and implement appropriate fund-raising and financial development strategies.
- Guide revenue-generating activities to provide adequate income to the organization
- Create and nurture partnerships with businesses and other institutions that contribute to the organization’s resources
- Work with staff, donors, and board members to secure adequate income and strong personal commitments from those who have an interest in the organization
- Develop and monitor a donor tracking system and ensure appropriate recognition for all donors
Fiscal and Operations Management
- Work with staff to develop, maintain, and use the systems and resources that facilitate the effective operation of the organization., ensures that staff receive professional development and training.
- Ensure that RiverArts has in place good accounting, payroll, and cash management systems
- Ensure that clear and accurate accounting is maintained and that it is provided monthly, quarterly, and annually in a timely manner.
- Work with the Treasurer to develop an annual budget
- Delegate tasks and responsibilities and monitors task completion
- Ensure compliance with all legal and regulatory requirements
- Conduct annual performance reviews with staff; set short term and annual performance goals; provide regular feedback to each staff member.
- Set clear and attainable performance standards for staff and volunteers
- Develop new work methods to improve performance and productivity
External Communication and Relationship Building
- Maintain positive relationships with the many groups that support the work of RiverArts
- Build and cultivate important high level strategic relationships with community and business leaders, constituents, public officials, relevant professional organizations, funders, and potential funders.
- Act as an articulate and knowledgeable spokesperson and a visible leader for RiverArts
Experience, Requirements & Competencies
- 5+ years of management experience in a non-profit setting or proven experience in another managerial role. Experience in an Executive Director role and/or a BS or BA in a related field preferred.
- A minimum of 3 years of proven success in a fundraising role, with strong focus on relationship building and new donor cultivation.
- Strong understanding of best practices for business finance. Experience with non-profit financial management preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication and public speaking skills.
- Comfort and confidence in communicating an organization’s mission, vision, and goals with a wide range of constituents.
- Experience collaborating with, motivating, and engaging a volunteer Board of Trustees.
- Experience building and sustaining relationships with organization members and volunteers.
- Demonstrated evidence of the promotion of diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace.
- Strong working knowledge of donor software applications (Constant Contact, Fundly/NonProfitEasy), Quickbooks, and grant submission systems preferred.
The hiring committee will begin the review of applications on Friday, January 21st, and will continue on a rolling basis until the position is filled.