Organization Summary: Prep for Prep is an education and leadership development program that creates ethical and effective leaders who reflect our diverse society. Prep identifies New York City’s most promising students of color, prepares them for success at the nation's top independent schools throughout the Northeast, and supports their academic and personal growth through college graduation. Today, over 5,000 students and alumni in the Prep for Prep Community are leaders in every field imaginable.
Our Vision: We envision a nation guided by ethical and effective leaders who reflect our diverse society.
Our Mission: Prep for Prep’s mission is to develop future leaders by creating access for young people of color to first-rate educational, leadership development, and professional advancement opportunities.
Position Summary: The Clinical Social Worker for Middle and High School is charged with assisting the Director of Academic Programs and the Director of Post-Placement Counseling and their respective teams to ensure the social and emotional well-being of Prep for Prep students. Reporting to the Director of Mental Wellness and working in close collaboration with the Directors of Academic Programs and Post-Placement Counseling.
The responsibilities for this role include, but are not limited to, these primary areas:
- Assess the psychological problems/needs of individual students as referred by the Prep for Prep and PREP 9 Preparatory Components and the Post-Placement Counseling Department.
- Assist in helping to determine whether students need therapy and deciding on a course of action, i.e., short-term or long-term therapy to be administered by one of Prep’s Clinical Social Workers, the Director of Mental Wellness, or by an outside therapist.
- Meeting with those individual cases (which may include families) on either a short- or long-term basis as determined above.
- Supervise and meet with the Guidance Counselors of the Prep for Prep and PREP 9 Preparatory Components.
- Organize and run group sessions with Prep for Prep, PREP 9, and Post-Placement students who share similar problems and issues which would best be addressed in groups.
- Assist the Director of Mental Wellness as needed as they provide in-house staff training for counselors and other Prep staff related to psychological problems, trouble signs to be alert to when working with students, and strategies that might be appropriate in helping students respond to problems.
- Consult with Prep for Prep and PREP 9 component directors and, when appropriate, with other staff members, faculty, and advisors on individual cases and provide guidance for their counseling of students.
- Sit in on conclave (group guidance sessions of a maximum of 16 students) for first summer students during the summer session and all students during the school year.
- Consult with Post-Placement Counselors and, when appropriate, with other staff members on individual cases and provide guidance for their counseling of students.
In order to carry out the responsibilities enumerated above, the Clinical Social Worker for Middle and High School will:
- Meet regularly with the various component directors (the Director of Post-Placement Counseling and the Director of Academic Programs) in order to assess student needs, to discuss cases which the Director of Mental Wellness and respective component directors have decided should be assigned to the Clinical Social Worker, to serve as a consultant for cases which do not require intervention and to make outside referrals in appropriate cases.
- Work with the Executive Director, component directors, and the Director of Mental Wellness to develop long-term strategies and programming for responding to general psychological problems of subsets of Prep for Prep students or issues related to the adjustments required of them to be successful in independent schools.
- Regularly inform component directors about the status of assessments and/or interventions and progress being made by each student referred to the Director of Mental Wellness.
- Proactively and judiciously schedule time to meet the needs of the Academic Programs and Post-Placement Counseling departments, and communicate with both component directors when they see or anticipate a scheduling conflict.
- Master’s degree in mental health, clinical social work, psychology, or related field required
- Must be licensed to provide direct service in the State of New York
- Embody and advocate for Prep for Prep’s values of Excellence, Integrity, Commitment, Courage, and Community
- Sound judgment, compassion, a self-directed work ethic, and a commitment to achieving Prep for Prep’s Mission
- Experience working with adolescents and their parents, as well as working with a culturally diverse population
- Training in cultural sensitivity is strongly recommended
- Professional experience or familiarity with independent schools or similar setting preferred
- Strong clinical skills to identify, evaluate and provide services to students with a range of mental and emotional health needs
- Must be able to maintain a calm and supportive demeanor when working with students, families, and colleagues
- Effective communication skills that promote positive relationships
- Demonstrate an understanding and use of equitable and culturally responsive practices
- Demonstrate leadership and project organizational skills, planning, implementing, and evaluations
- Exercise a strong sense of priority, time management, and follow-through
How to Apply: Please email a cover letter and resume with the subject line “Clinical Social Worker for Middle and High School."
Prep for Prep does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, or ethnic or national origin and is an equal opportunity employer.