TITLE: MARKETING AND COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER
REPORTS TO: Director of External Affairs
STATUS: Full-time Non-Exempt, full benefits
ABOUT BLOOMINGDALE SCHOOL OF MUSIC
Bloomingdale School of Music is a nonprofit community music school located on Manhattan's Upper West Side and serving over 650 students from all over greater New York City. The school has an extraordinary faculty, an innovative program, and a fifty-year record of providing access to high quality music instruction in private lessons, classes, and school partnerships. Bloomingdale is at an exciting time in its history, focused on strengthening the program within the school and proactively building relationships and connections in the community we serve. The school is housed in a five-story brownstone at 323 West 108th Street, between Broadway and Riverside Drive. The facility has 14 teaching studios, a recital hall, and offices. More information may be found at the school's website www.bsmny.org.
ABOUT THE POSITION
This position is responsible for developing and implementing annual hyper-local marketing and communications plans to drive enrollment and community engagement for all BSM activities. Reporting to the Director of External Affairs, and working with staff across all departments, this position helps to develop clear messaging, images and communications across various media – letters, eblasts, website, social media, posters, flyers, and more. The position oversees part-time project staff for website, media (video/photo) and graphic design needs.
- With the Director of External Affairs, develop and execute annual marketing and communications plans in alignment with registration, development, events, and community calendars.
- Coordinate campaigns across all outlets – creating a wide range of different marketing materials - newsletters, digital advertisements, website pages, social media graphics, emails, print posters, flyers and postcards, to be distributed both inside the school and in the community.
- Manage media, website and graphic design needs for school – hire and manage part time project staff when required, manage the inventory, and develop ways to use assets
- Manage the video and live-streaming schedule of the school occasionally providing coverage for special events (training provided)
- Populate and manage extensive photo, video, and testimonial archives for use in marketing and development materials
- Manage all web and social media accounts tracking Google analytics and open/click rates, monitoring engagement so as to shape e-communications accordingly.
- Work with the Director of External Affairs to manage the marketing budget, monitor and report on effectiveness of marketing communications and ROI for marketing spending.
- Identify, negotiate, and procure new strategic editorial and business partnerships with external publishers and partners
- Optimize effective internal communications to ensure that all relevant BSM departments are kept informed of marketing and communications objectives.
- Collaborate with staff and programs team to support community outreach/engagement events – community fairs, special events, manage list of local/community contacts, staff and attend outreach events.
Skills and Qualifications
- 3+ years experience in marketing, preferably in an arts or music based organization
- Bachelor's Degree in Marketing, Communications, or equivalent experience.
- Experience with office and database systems (MailChimp, ASAP Connected, Google Docs, Asana or similar).
- Experience and skills with Social Media and websites (FB, Twitter, Youtube, Instagram, Wordpress, Elementor)
- Have a clean and developed design aesthetic and a portfolio of sample work
- Positive and clear copywriting/editing skills with a highly developed attention to detail
- A passion for staying current on website/media tools, resources and participating in long-range planning for use of this technology to promote the school.
- Capacity to be an organized self-starter, systems builder, and flexibility to work within a diverse team environment, share workspaces, and have excellent follow through – finishing tasks on time, or asking for help support when necessary.
- Knowledge of and commitment to community music education is a plus.
- Adaptable, Multi-tasker, disciplined, and skilled at prioritization.
- Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion a must.
- This position requires a 40 hour/week schedule with core hours of M-F 10 AM - 4 PM required, some evenings and weekends around school events will also be needed.
- This is a non-exempt position, eligible for overtime which must be approved by a supervisor in advance.
- While there is some flexibility around remote work, we require at least 3 consistent days per week on site.
- Salary is $50,000-$53,000 including health insurance and PTO.
- The salary is commensurate with experience.
- BSM offers a full benefits package including partial health costs, retirement, transit, and a generous vacation schedule.
- Professional development opportunities are supported.
APPLICATION AND HIRING PROCESS
- Candidates interested in this position should submit a cover letter and resume to https://form.jotform.com/221584507722153 by July 8, 2022.
- Only those being considered will be contacted by email/phone for an initial interview.
- Position will begin in July/August 2022.
Bloomingdale School of Music is an EOE/educational institution and is deeply committed to diversity and inclusion. BSM does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, height, weight, or marital status in employment or the provision of services.