Role & Responsibilities
Scope out and assess new funding opportunities for the Medair Syria programme. Responsible for coordinating and facilitating the programme teams to prepare proposals and reports for submission to institutional and private donors as well as write proposals directly; maintain appropriate information systems; track the internal progress of proposals and reports; research new funding sources and support the Deputy/Country Director in donor relationship management. Also responsible for providing strategic support and review of all aspects of Medair’s proposals and reports, including indicator tracking, kick-off and lessons learned meetings and engagement with Medair GSO (Global Support Office).
Medair has been operational in Syria in response to the Syrian crisis since 2015. Medair operates in the areas of health, WASH and SHE/NFI programming in government held areas of Syria. Medair Syria has bases in Damascus, Aleppo and Deir-Ez-Zor. In Damascus, projects are developed for south Syria, as well as housing the country office. In Aleppo (ALP), Medair is implementing projects in ALP and northern Hama (HAM) and in Deir-Ez-Zor, projects are implemented in DEZ as well as Raqqa (RAQ).
Workplace & Working Conditions
Field based position in Damascus, Syria.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 6 months with possible extension.
Key Activity Areas
Donors Relations Management
- Support the Deputy/Country Director in developing and maintaining efficient donor relations with the representatives of relevant funding partners to secure funding for the country programme.
- Keeping up to date with trends and analyse institutional donor funding opportunities for Syria and advise senior management on strategic funding decisions. Represent Medair at country-level meetings with donors.
- Coordinate and facilitate the drafting and presentation of all proposals, operational and financial reports related to the Syria programme, in collaboration with other relevant staff members.
- Prepare and manage timelines for preparing proposal and report submissions. Provide templates, guidelines and donor-specific advice to ensure that all involved staff members are aware of their needed contributions.
- Work with the Country Director on the implementation of a logical, & sustainable country strategy plan.
- Coordinate and track institutional and private donor proposals and reports, managed by the Country Director and in consultation with other senior field managers, GSO staff and the Head of Country Programmes (HCP).
- Provide compliance advisory support to programme and finance team members to avoid negative audit findings; be instrumental in response to audit findings in the coordination of improvements within teams.
- Maintain an overview of the assigned programme’s relationships with, and funding from, Medair’s key institutional donors; providing analysis and information to senior management where necessary.
- In collaboration with Project Managers and the MEAL/IM Manager; assess adherence to targets (financial and beneficiary) on a monthly basis, reporting any areas of concern to the Deputy Country Director.
- Maintain appropriate information systems including contract tracking, reporting schedules, revising Medair Syria’s box structure, portfolio project and grant cards and other donor-specific data.
- Responsible for advising on project implementation to meet institutional donor requirements.
- Ensuring that applications and reports are produced to a high standard, comply with donor guidelines, deadlines, contracts, and other donor needs and requests.
- Gather and prepare fundraising materials (e.g., gift handles, direct marketing resources, thank-you videos, stories) according to targets set by Regional Communications Manager (RCM).
- Work closely with the RCM to gather specific resources for GSO initiatives and projects, the year-end campaign, events, or fundraising pushes.
- Prepare, organise, and lead field visits of visitors, photographers, journalists, or media crews.
- Establish and maintain service contracts with local photographers, journalists, and videographers.
- Proactively liaise with local, regional, national and international media in Syria, to form strong relationships and build Medair’s positive image locally.
- Assist Medair staff on institutional donor and Medair visibility budgets, conditions, and requirements, developing a communications plan for each project in coordination with programme staff.
- Other communications related tasks as deemed necessary by line manager.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in a relevant subject such as Charity Management, Management Development Studies, Business Administration, International Development or another relevant technical subject.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
- 2 years of professional experience in funding/proposal writing in a humanitarian, development of charitable context.
- Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and HAP Standards and other protocols.
- Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills.
- Numerate and able to understand and work with project budgets, financial reports and financial management systems. Proven and successful report and proposal writing skills.
- Experience of maintaining grant management systems. Good negotiation and networking skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and networking skills, including the ability to develop and manage effective relationships with current and new donors.