Core Job Responsibilities
The goals of the Communications Department are to build the DC 37 brand by celebrating our membership, promoting unionism, and demonstrating our strength politically. We envision reaching this goal through targeted media outreach, cohesive messaging, innovative and thoughtful content for our print and digital platforms, and engaging campaigns that support our membership. Direct responsibilities include:
• Supervision of Communications Department staff;
• Develop and implement Communications' plans to support organizing, political, and member to member campaigns and outreach integrating earned, paid, and digital media;
• Manage all aspects of media relations including pitching, crisis communications and serve as the primary spokesperson for the Union;
• Oversee the management of our digital platforms including Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and a robust email program and identify opportunities for member engagement;
• Write, develop, and edit internal and external communications materials including Op Eds, quotes, and press releases;
• Directly manage the editing and production of our publication, PEPTalk;
• Develop and manage paid advertising on Facebook, Google, and Twitter through effective targeting, utilizing data and analytics to evaluate tactics and adjust as needed;
• Serve as a thought partner to our Local Presidents in developing communication strategies for their local unions and develop communications trainings where needed;
• Work in tandem with our International union to amplify and elevate worker voices nationally.
• B.A. or B.S. in Communications, Public Relations, English, Journalism or related field;
• Minimum of 8+ years of relevant communications or public relations experience in labor, advocacy or related work with at least 5 years of on-the-record experience;
• Demonstrated experience in developing comprehensive and strategic communications plans within large, multi-faceted organizations framing messages for diverse audiences;
• Exceptional writing skills for print and online formats with proven ability to write persuasively and exercise political judgement;
• Previous experience with unions, community, electoral and/or political organizations is preferred.
If you meet these qualifications, please send resumes and cover letters as a Microsoft Word Doc. or PDF file attachment file via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or fax (212) 815-1439.
Core Job Responsibilities
The goals of the Communications Department are to build the DC 37 brand by celebrating our membership, promoting unionism, and demonstrating our strength politically. We envision reaching this goal through…
District Council 37 is New York City’s largest public employee union, representing 150,000 members and 50,000 retirees. The Council is one of AFSCME’s largest affiliates and is comprised of more than 60 independent Locals representing over 1,000 different job titles from accountants to zookeepers. DC 37 offers generous salary and fringe benefits. We are an equal opportunity employer.
The Council is seeking a motivated, forward thinking, creative and strategic Director of Communications to work alongside the Council’s leadership to strengthen and re-envision internal and external communications by developing and implementing a bold, robust, and long-term communications program for our union.
District Council 37 is New York City’s largest public employee union, representing 150,000 members and 50,000 retirees. The Council is one of AFSCME’s…