Sweet Farm is seeking a resourceful, outgoing and strategic director with a genuine passion for creating a compassionate and sustainable world. The Director of Development & Outreach will leverage a combination of strategic and entrepreneurial thinking and strong communication skills. They will have overall responsibility for Sweet Farms key development & outreach programs e.g.:
- optimizing and growing our sustainable income through events, outreach, sponsorship and recurring membership programs,
- creating and launching effective fundraising campaigns and donor propositions with a strong ROI,
- coordinating and executing on an impactful event strategy,
- improving and growing Sweet Farms outreach & education programs
The obsession of the Director of Development & Outreach is continuously improving our development tactics and the way we are communicating and engaging with our community, (potential) donors and volunteers to reach our goals and make impact.
- Create, update and execute a development & outreach strategy together with the Executive Director and Sweet Farm staff. Key components include specific dollar goals, strategies and tactics for each of the following areas: online campaigns, major gifts, community gifts, corporate gifts, monthly & planned giving, lapsed donors, employee giving, income from events and outreach and new donor acquisition.
- Create an A+ experience for all people supporting Sweet Farm
- Evaluate effectiveness of plans including metrics/analysis for communications and campaigns by donor segments, etc. Proactively recommend changes in strategy as necessary.
- Create and outline the marketing communication plan needed to deliver on the development & outreach strategy including: website, social media, PR, events, direct e-mail, advocacy etc
- Conceive, coordinate and execute events like monthly member days, annual fundraising galas and fundraising events.
- Manage a Social Media/Community Manager who will support the execution of marcom plan and event coordination.
- Write grant proposals and reports together with the Executive Director.
- Identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward donors by customized correspondence, phone calls and face-to-face meetings.
- Manage and/or create all necessary administrative systems and procedures to track, record, report, acknowledge, and recognize all contributions and ensure the accuracy and timeliness of all fundraising, prospect and donor communications.
- Provide a credible and informed presence for Sweet Farm by participating in events, seminars, and conferences throughout the Bay Area.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrable leadership experience. Additionally, Sweet Farm seeks applications from individuals embodying the following:
- Deep alignment with Sweet Farm’s mission
- At least 5 years related experience in development or strategic partnership/ customer management
- High-level of drive and energy to engage (potential) donors
- Demonstrated success and effectiveness in identifying, qualifying, cultivating, soliciting, closing, and stewarding donors/potential donors/ clients
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, public relations and supervisory skills.
- Demonstrated capability to be a self-starter, facilitator, organizer and innovator.
- Experience in working with community groups, volunteers, and ideally animal welfare organizations.
- Outstanding analytical skills demonstrated in managing prospect pipeline strategies and aligning them to fundraising and campaign priorities as well as in research and reporting abilities.
- Strong organizational skills; ability to prioritize and handle multiple projects simultaneously and to work calmly under pressure of goals and deadlines.
- Creative in thinking of ways to bring Sweet Farms mission to life through impactful fundraising campaigns, propositions and events, with limited resources
- Strategic and tactical thinker who thrives in working in a dynamic start-up work environment
- A result-driven and supportive approach to staff and volunteer management
- A track record of directly securing resources for (nonprofit) organizations
- Stellar interpersonal skills with a humble and passionate communication style
- Cultural humility and comfort navigating differences
- A natural relationship builder that approaches relationships with empathy, authenticity, patience, and curiosity
- Ability to see the big picture by tending to both the ecosystem and the needs of the organization
- Strong financial literacy and management skills
- Model respectful, caring, patient, and empowering relationships with all staff and stakeholders
- A relationship builder and connector
- Optimistic and outgoing; glass is always half full
- Sense of humour is a plus :-)
- You are a proponent of radical candor
What Sweet Farm offers:
- Being part of an amazing team of co-workers and volunteers who are passionate about working towards a more compassionate and sustainable world
- Getting to interact with our amazing donors, supporters, partners and volunteers
- $100,000 annual salary + benefits