WHO WE ARE:
ActBlue is a nonprofit that builds tech and infrastructure for Democratic campaigns, progressive-aligned causes, and people trying to make an impact in order to fuel long-term, people-powered change. If you’ve ever given online to a Democrat or progressive organization, chances are you’ve used our powerful online fundraising platform.
We put power in the hands of small-dollar donors and help thousands of groups — from presidential candidates to environmental organizations — build grassroots movements. We envision a democracy where everyone looking to make progressive people-powered change can easily and effectively deploy their resources, energy, and creativity to shape our country and futures. Each and every one of us, from the political activists to the tech innovators to the customer service pros, is fully committed to our mission.
On the Data Science & Engineering team, our mission is to build and maintain systems and infrastructure that handle and process data and drive organizational insights. We empower teams across the organization to magnify the impact and improve the experience of small-dollar donors and create performant and flexible data products for campaigns and organizations using our tools.
We’re looking for a growth-oriented entry-level data scientist to join our team!
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Work with other data scientists, engineers, and product managers to deliver data products and analysis that empower millions of grassroots donors to support the campaigns and organizations they care about, and build people-powered movement infrastructure.
- Be a subject matter expert on our data schema contributing to internal data dictionaries and sharing expertise with other technical stakeholders.
- Practice curiosity - be proactive in identifying insights that have the potential for positive impact, and communicating those insights to stakeholders.
- Build shared power by strengthening analytical capacity across the organization - this will include observing workflows, assessing and collecting requirements for new reporting products in a BI platform, modeling data for analysis in a data warehouse, and training end users on using internal data products.
- Work collaboratively across teams on to surface trends and insights from domain-specific data (i.e. feature analytics for product teams, assist with financial and operational analytics, analyze campaign finance data).
- Manage and prioritize between multiple requests and projects, some with tight deadlines and some with loosely defined instructions and desired outcomes.
WHAT YOU BRING:
- Dedication to our mission of empowering small-dollar donors and helping nonprofits, progressive organizations, and Democratic campaigns build better fundraising programs
- An eagerness to learn and continuously develop new analytical skills and techniques
- A passion for surfacing insights and delivering clear and actionable analysis
- Ability to use a combination of exploratory analysis, A/B testing, and multivariate and time series analysis to discern patterns from outliers
- Intermediate proficiency with SQL (we use PostgreSQL, Redshift): SQL tuning for query performance, assisting in designing ETL/ELT pipelines
- Intermediate proficiency with R (tidyverse, ggplot2) or Python (pandas, matplotlib)
- Experience with Business Intelligence tools (Looker, Mode): from building out data models to training end users
- Experience collaborating with engineers to pair on integrating data sources, automating workflows, and building data pipelines. Familiarity with dbt preferred.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to confidently share insights with various stakeholders
OUR ANALYTICAL VALUES:
- We believe that ideas are more important than technologies.
- We understand that the tools we build have real-world consequences for millions of people and take that responsibility seriously.
- We know that analysis isn’t an end product in itself, but a form of communication with other humans; style, clarity, and respect are important.
- We believe that an ability to balance paying off technical debt and rapidly completing a project contributes to the health of the codebase, data team, and organization.
- We believe that being correct isn’t enough; respect for your colleagues and users is fundamental.
Follow us on Twitter @ActBlue and our blog
LOCATION AND COMPENSATION:
This posting is for a full-time, remote, salaried position. ActBlue is currently authorized to support remote work employees in California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Washington D.C., and Wisconsin.
Salary Range: We offer a competitive salary and a generous compensation package, which includes the benefits listed below:
- Flexible work schedules and an unlimited time-off policy
- Fully paid and trans-inclusive health, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families
- Automatic 2% 401K contribution, plus up to 6% match
- Three months paid parental leave for all new parents, adoptions included; 4 weeks of a fully paid flexible work schedule; plus an additional one week of paid leave and an additional one week of flexible work schedule for every full year the employee has worked for ActBlue
- Commuter or home-office benefits, including a $1,000 home-office setup allowance for all new full-time remote employees
- Additional perks including monthly snack deliveries and digital subscriptions to the Boston Globe & New York Times
Women, people of color, LGBTQIA2S+ individuals, and members of other minority or marginalized groups are strongly encouraged to apply. ActBlue is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against candidates on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status.
ActBlue is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the interview and employment process, including using our online system to apply for a position.
*ActBlue will never ask candidates to buy equipment, nor will we email from anything other than an actblue.com or actbluetech.com email address.