(part-time; average 8 hours/week; seeking candidate who specializes in non-profits)
The Citizens Budget Commission (CBC), New York’s leading fiscal watchdog and source for unbiased, impactful research on New York City and New York State government finances, policy, and operations, seeks a part-time Accountant to be responsible for executing and tracking CBC’s financial activities. Reporting to the President and partnering with the Director of Operations, the accountant is responsible for accounts payable, payroll, revenue recognition, benefits administration, bank and investment account management, audit/990 preparation, and is main liaison to CBC’s Audit and Investment Committees.
- Payroll: Prepare and submit payroll to outside processor; onboard new employees; maintain salaries and deductions; entry into accounting software. Review and approve quarterly and year-end reporting.
- Human resources: Manage enrollment into and ensure employees are receiving benefits, including health insurance, FSA, transit checks, and 403b plan when applicable. Assist with onboarding and answering inquiries. Manage relationship with benefits administration organizations.
- Bank Reconciliations: Prepare monthly bank reconciliations, ensuring that all entries are correct and check for any fraud.
- Accounts Payable: Enter invoices into accounting software and ensure proper coding, prepare invoices for payment via ACH and checks, and pay invoices.
- Receipts: Enter and record revenue receipts, reconcile receipts with development department.
- Investments: Monitor and, upon direction or approval of President, transfer funds between or into and out of investment accounts; maintain dialogue with and support Investment Committee to ensure that the policy is being implemented.
- Audit: Main liaison to external auditors. Prepare audit workpapers; ensure that all schedules are ready for the auditors; work extensively with auditors to prepare financial statements in a timely manner; review with Audit committee.
- Budget: Prepare budget versus actual presentation quarterly for Executive Committee; work with President to ensure an accurate representation of the organization’s financial situation.
- Other accounting and administrative tasks as needed.
- 5+ years accounting experience.
- Knowledge of Sage Peachtree, Excel and Word.
- Accounting or Finance degree.
- Ability to work independently, cooperatively and ensure clear communication.