Role & Responsibilities
Plan, develop, monitor, and evaluate the assigned project(s). This involves assessing ES/NFI needs, designing projects, coordinating and initiating NFI activities, and effectively managing and reporting on the interventions in line with the objectives, timeframe, and budget. Provides technical support, leadership and strategic direction. Other important aspects of the role include meeting quality standards in shelter delivery, encouraging beneficiary participation, liaising with other stakeholders and managing and training ES/NFI staff.
The ES/NFI project will be responsible for the distribution of ES/NFIs in all ten states, independently or in support of other partners. Medair acts as ES/NFI state focal point for ES/NFIs in Central Equatorial State and is responsible for coordination and distributions in that state.
Overview Workplace & Working Conditions
Field based position in Juba, South Sudan with regular travel to field sites. Working and living conditions may be very basic and require great resilience.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
ES/NFI Project Management
- Manage the assigned ES/NFI project(s) to meet the project objectives within budget and time frame.
- Provide strong leadership of the assigned ES/NFI project(s), working to ensure both short and long-term positive impacts and outcomes for the beneficiaries, local authorities and local ES/NFI staff.
- Develop and implement an effective ES/NFI strategy in consultation with other ERT staff and field managers.
- Set clear objectives and indicators for ES/NFI activities in collaboration with the NFI staff, field managers etc.
- Continuously monitor and supervise ES/NFI activities, overseeing the design and execution and evaluating progress through outputs and impacts using both quantitative and qualitative data.
- Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability in all aspects of the project.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities according to Medair, donor, timeframes and formats.
- Develop new proposals, linked to the country strategy, in conjunction with the relevant field managers.
- Improve service to beneficiaries through unique and more effective responses to increase their self-sufficiency (resilience training, cash programming, etc.). Follow SNFI Cluster methodology to include proper implementation of analysis, verification, distribution, and post distribution monitoring.
- Line-manage the ES/NFI Managers of the assigned project(s), including day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals, etc.
- Facilitate regular meetings to assist information sharing between project staff, to ensure all staff members are aware of project objectives and current work plans, and to provide the opportunity for feedback.
- Provide coaching and technical supervision to staff in order to develop ownership and full responsibility for ES/NFI activities. Assess the training needs of ES/NFI staff and ensure that appropriate training is conducted.
- Manage the ES/NFI budget for the assigned project(s) and ensure all expenses are according to budget and meet the Medair standards with regard to financial management, including accountability & governance.
Communication and Coordination
- Develop and maintain appropriate, regular, transparent, and supportive communication structures with the assigned ES/NFI team, Medair in-country and Global Support Office (GSO) and other relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, local and national government officials, UN agencies and other NGOs), with the objective of ensuring good cooperation and partnerships.
- Participate in ES/NFI coordination meetings and other working groups or meetings, representing Medair and feeding back to the ES/NFI staff and field managers on issues. Participate in the Strategic Advisory Group (SAG) meetings to contribute to the strategic direction of the SNFI Cluster.
- Support the logistics activities of ES/NFI staff, particularly in relation to the purchasing of supplies and equipment for the assigned ES/NFI activities.
- Liaise with the ES/NFI, logistics and finance staff to ensure items are procured, transported, stored, managed, and accounted for correctly.
- Promote and use the Medair e-library, Portfolio, and other operating procedures and tools, ensuring that all standardised formats are used and guidelines are followed.
- Ensure ES/NFI projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards i.e. Sphere and CHS standards.
- Ensure timely post distribution monitoring after NFI distributions to assess the quality of work and implement findings to improve future responses.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Higher level qualification in a technical field, preferably in Development or Management or related.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
- 2 years post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field.
- Minimum 1-year experience in management in international relief work.
- Ability and willingness to manage project implementation.
- Good numerical, report writing and administration skills. Problem solving ability.
- Knowledge and understanding of humanitarian standards such as Sphere Standards.
- Able to prioritise clearly and oversee multiple tasks. Able to take the initiative in project decisions.
- Able to enforce procedures. Able to set clear objectives for staff and to delegate.