Baryshnikov Arts Center (BAC) is the realization of a long-held vision by artistic director Mikhail Baryshnikov to build an arts center in Manhattan that would serve as a gathering place for artists from all disciplines. BAC’s opening in 2005 heralded the launch of this mission, establishing a thriving creative laboratory and performance space for artists from around the world. BAC’s activities encompass a robust residency program augmented by a range of professional services, including commissions of new work, as well as the presentation of performances by artists at varying stages of their careers. In tandem with its commitment to supporting artists, BAC is dedicated to building audiences for the arts by presenting contemporary, innovative work at affordable ticket prices. For more information about BAC and its programs, please visit bacnyc.org.
The BAC Program Assistant supports the activities of the Programming department, reporting to the Artistic Associate. The role offers a unique opportunity to work directly with artists at an internationally recognized performing arts center, providing invaluable hands-on experience in the field of program management. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
· Oversee intake of materials provided by incoming artists participating in BAC programs.
· Maintain a project-planning tool for tracking schedules and deadlines surrounding artist engagements at BAC.
· Monitor expenses for individual project budgets and artist payment schedules; submit invoices to the Finance department.
· Organize and provide content to the Marketing department for print programs for public events.
· Conduct research as assigned, such as: create calendar of performances by prospective BAC artists at local venues and international festivals; track activity of BAC alumni; research activities of peer organizations and artistic programs for potential collaborations.
· File correspondence with artists and assist with external communications as needed.
· Coordinate with artists and BAC visa consultant when travel arrangements are necessary for international productions.
· Create and maintain welcome/hospitality packets specific to local and visiting artists.
· Assist the Artistic Associate with artist contracts for BAC Presents; per artist contracts and technical riders, coordinate with the production team on the management of artist hospitality.
· Research and secure necessary artist housing, travel arrangements, and local ground
Additional responsibilities during the BAC Artist Residency Program:
· Assist the Operations department with any artist scheduling changes pertaining to BAC studio time and onsite needs (i.e. set up of tables and chairs, etc.).
· Arrange and provide hospitality efforts for artists.
· Plan and execute social gatherings for resident artists, i.e. welcome lunches, closing night gatherings, etc. Secure food and beverage donations and delivery from local vendors when necessary.
· Point of contact for BAC Story writers; introduce writers and resident artists, provide writers with editorial guideline, monitor timeline, coordinate with Marketing Department for online publication.
· In coordination with the Marketing department, maintain institutional and artist RSVP lists for studio showings and tours. Provide final report of showing attendees.
· In coordination with BAC house videographer and photographer, schedule video and photo shoots, including onsite coordination with artists during documentation days. Distribute final, approved assets to artists.
· Coordinate exit interviews for each participating resident artist with Artistic Associate.
This position is Part-Time (average of 24 hours per week), Permanent.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Start date is January 3, 2022, TBC.
Baryshnikov Arts Center (BAC) is the realization of a long-held vision by artistic director Mikhail Baryshnikov to build an arts center in Manhattan that would serve as a gathering place for artists from all disciplines. BAC’s opening in…
Commuter and FSA benefits available.
Commuter and FSA benefits available.