Location: San Francisco or Los Angeles preferred; Remote arrangements considered.
At REDF, we’re building an economy that works. For everyone.
We discover and back social entrepreneurs across the United States that employ people striving to overcome employment barriers like homelessness or incarceration.
These mission-driven businesses, called employment social enterprises, exist because they see untapped talent in their communities for the strengths they hold, not the barriers they’ve faced.
That’s why REDF invests in their businesses, so we can help push their impact further, faster. We pair our grantmaking with capacity-building support, create space for employment social enterprise leaders to learn together, and sponsor state and federal policies that help shift perspectives. Because we believe that our economy works best when it works for everyone.
Since 1997, REDF has invested in 219 social enterprises in 31 states and DC, helping over 74,000 people create a future where they can flourish.
Do you love social impact, business, philanthropy, and working hands-on with incredible entrepreneurs to change the trajectory of their social enterprises? This is the job for you! As a portfolio manager, you are in charge of the performance and impact of the grantees in REDF’s Growth Portfolio. You will manage relationships with REDF’s Growth Portfolio grantees, acting as partner and advisor as they work towards scaling their businesses and impact. You also will be an integral part of the team that assesses and selects new grantees to join the portfolio annually. While managing an assigned portfolio of 5-10 employment-focused social enterprises (ESEs), you will help portfolio enterprises set ambitious goals, identify resource needs, and ensure goal attainment through a combination of your coaching, advising, technical assistance provision, and partnerships with other teams such as the Capacity Building Team. You will also work collaboratively across a variety of REDF teams helping review potential new partners and grantees, facilitating workshops, identifying and scoping technical assistance projects, managing summer Farber Fellows supporting portfolio organizations, and providing your expertise to REDF’s continuous learning and evaluation. You will be a key part of deepening REDF’s commitment to racial equity by empowering thousands of people to achieve their aspirations of employment and changing their lives.
Relationship and Grant Management
- Develop and manage strong relationships with senior leadership at REDF Growth Portfolio social enterprises. Lead the relationship between REDF and grantee, including designing a multi-year workplan and accompanying ambitious goals. Provide customized support and coaching to portfolio of grantees, identify opportunities and challenges and appropriate resources and projects to address challenges and enable growth
- Accountable for the progress, achievement of impact, and growth of portfolio of social enterprises over the multi-year relationships:
- Advise, coach, and problem solve with social enterprise leadership to help them achieve their mission and business potential; provide clear feedback, insights, and conclusions
- Scope and execute technical assistance projects for portfolio of grantees (projects will span a wide range of topics including business planning, program design, fundraising, operations, and human capital)
- Collaborate with REDF’s Capacity Building team to clearly identify, scope, and oversee delivery of high-quality business and programmatic technical assistance projects including feasibility analyses, market analyses, operational and financial planning, business planning, etc.
- Coordinate with other REDF teams to provide appropriate support across program areas and maintain insight into grantees’ overall organizational health.
- Analyze portfolio organizations’ performance for REDF senior leadership and Board
- Monitor and analyze grantee outcomes and provide tangible insights both internally and to partner grantees. Includes analyzing grantee data submission, updating REDF CRM and databases, monitoring grantee budgets, providing information for funder reports.
- Represent REDF at external functions (e.g., conferences, networking, fundraising, portfolio retreat, recruiting, etc.)
Due Diligence and Portfolio Strategy
- Work closely with Community and Accelerator teams to source pipeline for Growth Portfolio and participate in diligence process for Growth Portfolio, including reviewing applications, conducting interviews, reviewing financial documents, contributing to selection discussions, and providing analysis of findings to selection committee and REDF senior leadership
- Conduct due diligence on grantee applicants on behalf of REDF or potential funding partners, including review of proposals, financial testing, and market analysis
- Provide advisory and technical assistance to potential grantees to strengthen their expansion plans, improve financial projections, refine program model, and revise written proposals/ growth plans
- Advise REDF and potential funding partners on the strengths, risks, and social impact of various investment opportunities, including recommendations on the type and amount of capital needed as well as other support or technical assistance needed to strengthen the chance of success
- Contribute to Growth Portfolio team’s continuous learning, ensuring that we are taking lessons learned from working with our grantees and applying them to REDF’s Learning Agendas
- Assist in the development and execution of REDF’s portfolio strategy and goals
Farber Interns Program
- Participate in Farber Intern selection process by representing REDF at recruiting events, interviewing prospective candidates, and participating in the selection committee
- Identify and scope appropriate summer Farber Internship projects within your portfolio
- Supervise and coach Farber Interns, including scoping projects, reviewing work product, sharing feedback, and providing resources, tools, and frameworks
- Able to: confidently communicate (written & verbal) with senior audiences on complicated topics; develop relationships across multiple organizations in a variety of modes (remotely and in person); handle sensitive situations with tact and empathy
- Possess a “generalist” toolkit and approach; comfortable identifying and tackling projects across a wide range of subject areas; not afraid to see a new project type for the first time
- Able to make important decisions under conditions of ambiguity and imperfect information; able to identify and evaluate complicated trade-offs
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to identify challenges and barriers, and design right-sized solutions for the situation
- Strong analytical skills; ability to independently set up and implement appropriate analyses for portfolio projects, draw conclusions, and make concrete, applicable recommendations based on data and analysis
- Demonstrated ability to operate with autonomy; comfortable working with a distributed team and remote leadership; able to identify solutions around barriers for self and understand when to raise issues
- Experience in the following: businesses operating in multiple industries, providing advisory services, managing workforce development programs, or grantmaking
- Supportive of REDF’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Strong collaborator; comfortable working with others that possess a wide diversity of backgrounds, skills, and experience; naturally finds ways to upskill others
- Continuously uses feedback and embodies a growth mindset to improve work product and personal development; confident in giving and receiving feedback to other team members
- Exceptional Microsoft PowerPoint and Excel skills and comfort with using data and data systems, especially Salesforce, to track data and drive insights
- Able to travel up to 30% of the time (once business travel resumes)
- 4-6+ years of proven experience; (MBA is a plus)
Every team member at REDF has an impact, with the ability to influence and iterate on our strategy. We balance autonomy with collaboration, leading with learning, and innovation with expertise. We listen, ask questions, and challenge the status quo and each other to uncover solutions that move us all to a better tomorrow.
REDF is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Our different experiences, backgrounds, and stories are our strength. We know that an equitable, inclusive, and diverse workplace makes us more effective, innovative and agile. We welcome and will consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, disability status or arrest and conviction history. EEO is the Law. REDF welcomes all.
- 13 paid holidays and ample vacation time
- A generous dollar-for-dollar retirement plan match up to 4% of your base compensation
- Opportunity to learn continuously by building your skills and broadening your perspectives at conferences, workshops, and more
- Competitive, comprehensive benefits package
Positions Location and Pay Range:
San Francisco or Los Angeles preferred but open to remote. The salary range for this position is $93,495 - $126,840 and reflects San Francisco and Los Angeles based positions. The range will be adjusted according to candidate's location.
COVID Vaccine Requirement
Despite California’s movement towards herd immunity, low case rates, etc., the COVID-19 pandemic still exists at large. We have a responsibility to provide working conditions that mitigate any direct threat to the health and safety of our employees and others affiliated with REDF and the broader community. REDF employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are not able to receive the vaccine for medical or religious reasons, you may seek approval for accommodation through the Director of HR by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org (please include “Accommodation Request, Manager, Growth Portfolio” in the subject line). Our COVID-19 Vaccine Policy will adapt as we continue to review our obligations under Federal, state, and local laws.
Please submit your resume and cover letter via REDF’s applicant portal.