WHO WE ARE: FRESHFARM is a nonprofit that finds new ways to connect people to their food
through hands-on education, farmers markets, and food distribution programs. Through our Farmer’s Markets and Pop-Up Food Hub, we solve critical problems across our regional food system for a more equitable, resilient, and safe food future. Our Fresh Match program provides a dollar-for-dollar match on federal benefits spent at market, helping shoppers take home more fresh produce and local foods while creating and sustaining new revenue streams for local farmers and food producers. As our Food Access Community Coordinator, you will play a key role in implementing our food access programs across the region.
WHO YOU ARE:
- A skilled communicator that can build relationships with socioeconomically diverse individuals of different backgrounds, ages, and languages;
- An empathetic and insightful thinker with an eye for new projects and partnerships;
- A local food fan interested in learning more about mission-driven project management;
- A team player with strong organizational skills.
WHAT YOU’LL DO: The Food Access Community Coordinator facilitates customer connections to local food access solutions in Washington, DC, Maryland, and Northern Virginia:
- Work with external social service organizations, mutual aid and community groups, state and local government representatives, faith-based partners, and more to bring eligible DMV area residents into FRESHFARM’s incentive programming;
- Market federal benefit and incentive programs to relevant stakeholders through educational presentations, dissemination of print and digital collateral and signage, social media and email efforts, and external partner meetings;
- Foster relationships with partner organizations and the communities served by FRESHFARM to increase program awareness and use;
- Implement and oversee initiatives to address barriers to access and increase ease of use for federal food benefit spending and incentive program participation;
- Leverage data and partnerships to increase access to fresh, nutritious food, sales to local farmers and food producers, and the collective impact of our local food economy.
- This is a full-time, non-exempt position compensated at $50,000-$53,000, DOE.
- This role will work Monday - Friday during normal business hours. Some weekend and holiday hours will be required to provide assistance on-site at FRESHFARM and partner farmers markets. Weekly schedules can be adjusted to accommodate.
- While currently closed except for essential work, this role will be based at the FRESHFARM office. When the office is open, remote work with approval is permitted in order to accommodate work and personal needs. This role will also need to be able to visit FRESHFARM’s various farmers market locations from time to time.
PHYSICAL & OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- No less than 2 years relevant working experience - food systems, community engagement, public speaking, social services, partnership development, or similar;
- Google Office Suite proficiency;
- Must be able to occasionally lift/move 30-40 lbs;
- Must be able to regularly work in outdoor environment in all-weather conditions;
- Valid driver’s license & access to personal cell phone required;
- Ability to independently commute to FRESHFARM and Coalition outlet locations as needed;
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT
FRESHFARM is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to diversity and building an equitable and inclusive workplace for people of all backgrounds and experiences. We encourage members of traditionally underrepresented groups to apply, including people of color, LGBTQ+ people, veterans, and people with disabilities. We do not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to prevent discrimination against any employee or job applicant on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, disability, or veteran status in the following areas: employment, recruitment, or advertisements for employment; compensation, termination, upgrading, and promotions; any other conditions of employment.