Reports to: Managing Director, Regional Operations, Program
Start date: June 2022
Location: Preferred within a OneGoal region: Atlanta, GA; Chicago, IL; Houston, TX; Boston, MA; New York City, NY; Bay Area, CA, but flexible within the following states: Alabama, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia, Washington D.C., Wisconsin
Salary Range: $55,200-$58,000
Despite decades of work and millions of dollars invested, the degree divide continues to be one of our nation’s most complex and critical injustices, with deep roots in systems of oppression and racism. Only 22% of students from low-income communities earn a college degree, compared to 67% of their peers from high-income areas.
COVID-19 further exposed and exacerbated inequity, with communities of color and those in low-income areas impacted at disproportionately high rates. We are looking for individuals to join us in our fight for equity during this extremely critical time.
- OneGoal has grown from a small afterschool program serving just 32 students in Chicago to a nationwide movement that is serving some 12,500 students in six communities.
- Our model, honed over 14 years, has three core differentiators: A rigorous, culturally relevant content and experience, cohorts of students who can support each other over the course of three years, and a teacher who supports our most vulnerable students’ long-term ambitions.
- 88% of OneGoal high school graduates enroll in a postsecondary institution and 79% of those who enroll persist one year after high school.
As the Manager of Alumni Support, your mission is to support regional teams as they seek to provide an additional layer of intervention to the cohorts that were impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic in the pivotal early years of their postsecondary academic experience.
As the Manager of Alumni Support, you will be responsible for expanding our organization’s impact on the classes of 2020 and 2021 by providing creative and logistical support to alleviate barriers to persistence and re-enrollment (in four-year college, two-year college, or certificate programs). Your primary focus will be to engage alumni in those classes who are in a lower-quality seat or have withdrawn, and support them to strengthen the quality of their enrollment status or re-enroll, should they desire to. You will also collect information about their experiences to help us understand the barriers that impact this group of students and uncover our greatest opportunities to dismantle them.
You will do this by:
- Supporting withdrawn alumni who wish to re-enroll to do so (30%): Provide differentiated support to alumni in the classes of 2020 and 2021 with a focus on re-enrollment supports for those who have a desire to obtain a postsecondary degree or credential.
- Supporting alumni in strengthening the quality of their postsecondary seat according to our Quality Enrollment Framework (30%): Provide differentiated support to alumni in the classes of 2020 and 2021 with a focus on quality enrollment supports for those who are enrolled in a low-quality seat.
- Strategic planning + data collection, analysis and reporting (30%): Collect and analyze data to inform your immediate enrollment/persistence support strategy and communicate progress to goal trends/insights to relevant stakeholders in order to project long-term enrollment opportunities and create aligned strategies. Create ‘easy to use’ systems that support a broader team’s use of this information and data collection to support decisions going forward.
- Strengthen OneGoal Community (10%): Work to achieve meaningful outcomes, contribute to building a strong team and culture, and commit to your own learning and development aligned to our Core Values.
Though the Manager, Alumni Support is likely to see himself/herself/themselves in the following examples, these are not requirements. These examples are designed to help you determine if this opportunity aligns with your own passion and purpose.
You believe deeply in our Fellows/alumni and their ability to to achieve their postsecondary dreams.
- You believe that our Fellows face real systemic barriers towards achieving their greatest postsecondary aspirations, and that empowering their families, their teachers, and themselves to own their unique path will help them to overcome those barriers.
You know the postsecondary landscape.
- You have an understanding of the college enrollment process and have experience coaching and advising students through it.
- You know and/or are committed to learning about high-quality, low-cost postsecondary degrees or credentials.
- Our alumni would benefit from your experience and knowledge of the postsecondary landscape.
You are a compelling and effective communicator.
- You have the ability to adapt messages to different audiences in order to inspire stakeholders.
- You discern the appropriate mode of communication to build investment, depending on the situation and audience
- You effectively communicate by choosing the right mode of communication based on the audience; sharing information in a way that is clear and direct; and allowing space for the audience to engage
You believe in the power of building connections and communities of support. You are a connection-builder and continuous learner.
- You believe your impact can be greater when you empower others and connect people with a broader network of support. Wherever possible, you leverage resources outside of direct coaching and support.
- You have the ability to maximize relationships to achieve results for alumni.
- You know every learner is different, and you enjoy adjusting your approach to meet their needs.
- You are able to influence, cultivate, and inspire action due to an exemplary ability to build communities, lead from a position of inquiry, be empathetic and flexible to the needs of others, and connect alumni with a broader set of supports.
You excitedly identify and confront challenges and opportunities.
- You find joy in critical thinking but are able to quickly transition from thought to action.
- You see challenges as opportunities to take your critical thinking skills and impact to the next level. You operate with a strong sense of personal responsibility when it comes to solving challenges.
- You analyze data and marshal resources to ensure our regions and national teams have what they need to realize our mission.
- You constantly strive to learn from and share learnings with your teammates, no matter your current knowledge or experience.
- You thoughtfully evaluate your current approach and identify ways to elevate our program’s effectiveness through regular self-reflection.
You are a highly organized project manager.
- You love developing and maintaining organizational systems that make things easy to find and easy to use.
- You are committed to leveraging systems and processes for providing transparency in your process and clarifying roles and responsibilities so everyone has the information they need.
- You set and pursue goals at the intersection of ambitious and feasible, with a high sense of possibility.
- You follow through on your commitments because you know that others are depending on you.
- You can manage both the details and the big picture view of a project and clarify the roles and responsibilities that each teammate plays.
- You strive to build strong relationships with each teammate and learn how to motivate them based on their unique needs.
- Lived experience of the Fellows we serve (Preferred)
- Knowledge of and experience navigating postsecondary systems and structures [eg. FAFSA, Common Application, etc.] (Required)
- Some project management experience (Preferred)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills (Required)
This position requires that the employee be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 on or before the start date. Consistent with applicable laws, OneGoal will provide reasonable accommodations for otherwise qualified employees and prospective employees with a disability (as defined by applicable law) or sincerely-held religious beliefs, provided that such accommodation would not result in an undue hardship on OneGoal.