The States United Democracy Center (States United), a nonpartisan organization focused on the critical role states play in election protection, is hiring a Development Associate. Reporting to the COO, the Development Associate will be an essential member in the organization, helping to manage, track, and maintain key donor relationships. The Development Associate will track commitments and donations, assist in budgeting, and design a donor engagement process. The Development Associate will also work very closely with the CEO to support all fundraising activities.
This position will be based in our Boston, MA office on a hybrid schedule and will require the individual to travel, as needed.
About the Organization:
The States United Democracy Center is a new and growing nonpartisan organization advancing free, fair, and secure elections. We focus on connecting pro-democracy state and local officials, law enforcement leaders, and other partners across the U.S. with the tools and expertise they need to safeguard our democracy. During the 2020 election, then as the Voter Protection Program, we quickly became a go-to resource for state leaders, the press, and partner organizations. By bringing together current and former governors, secretaries of state, attorneys general, and law enforcement leaders for the first time, we helped build a nonpartisan firewall against those trying to undermine democracy. Now as States United, we support these partners in protecting the integrity of elections, holding those who seek to undermine democracy accountable, and preventing acts of political violence.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide logistical, organizational, and research support to executive team on fundraising and development activities
- Assist in the execution of strategic fundraising efforts, including identifying, researching, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding individual, corporate, and foundation donors and prospects
- Assist in the creation and distribution of development communications and engagement
- Design, build, and implement processes for donor and potential donor engagement
- Support CEO in all development activities, including background research and materials, as well as provide on-site support
- Conduct all research and produce all materials for executive team to support their work with individual, institutional and foundational donors
- Assist in grant seeking, including research, proposal writing, and reporting requirements
- Track annual fundraising goals and plans
- Oversee fundraising database and tracking systems; update donor records; create lists and mail merges for emails and mailings; and generate weekly fundraising reports
- Develop and track proposals and reports for all foundation and corporate fundraising
- Oversee creation of documents and publications to support fundraising activities
- Maintain gift recognition programs
- Draft and update materials and slide decks for external meetings with donors and others
- Assist in budgeting activities, including tracking of expenditures, contracts, and assisting in budgeting and finance related activities
- Assist executive team in planning meetings with donors and potential donors, including drafting agendas, compiling materials, and preparing talking points and other documents
- Work closely with CEO, COO, and Executive Chair to facilitate regular communication with and provide updates to States United’s Board of Directors, Advisory Committee, and major donors
- Oversee office operations of the Boston location, including ordering supplies, coordinating in-person meetings and events, assisting the CEO with correspondence, and staffing the CEO at Boston-based events
- Assist CEO with a variety of administrative tasks, including research, drafting materials, fact-checking, mailings, ordering gifts, and other general support
- Bachelor’s degree
- 2+ years of experience in supporting development, particularly major gift fundraising
- Ability to travel, as needed
- Direct experience working with principals and executives
- Exceptional project and time management skills with an ability to manage and follow-through on multiple priorities and deadlines, effectively manage expectations with appropriate stakeholders, and drive for results
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills – verbal, written, listening – takes a diplomatic and balanced approach
- Solutions focused and self-led – proactively anticipates challenges and can quickly troubleshoot and provide viable alternative options
- Displays a positive attitude, shows concern for people and community, demonstrates presence, self-confidence, and common sense.
Compensation + Benefits:
Annual salary budgeted for this position is between $60,000 and $70,000.
States United Democracy Center offers generous benefits including 100% employer-paid health, vision, and dental plans plus matching retirement plans.
Our offices are located in Boston, MA and Washington, DC.
States United Democracy Center is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by law. Women, people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, people with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.