Operations Associate, Brooklyn, New York
In-Person Work Required
This is a non-exempt position and is eligible for overtime.
WHO WE ARE
Explore Schools is a network of public charter schools providing 2,000 students in Brooklyn with the outstanding education they deserve. Our goal is to provide students with curriculum and instruction that is both standards-aligned curriculum and culturally responsive. Our approach is designed to provide the conditions to nurture students as critical thinkers and natural problem-solvers. As an organization, we are committed to engaging in work that disrupts and roots out systems and structures that perpetuate white supremacy. We intentionally seek to build and maintain a diverse and talented team that reflects the backgrounds and experiences of our students and creates an inclusive environment for all employees.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
We believe that all children can learn when immersed in a rich environment full of high expectations, rigorous academics, and caring, committed adults. We believe equity and excellence are not mutually exclusive—we can meet the needs of all students in our schools, while actively engaging parents and driving toward excellent academic results. We believe it is both our privilege and responsibility to help close the opportunity gap in the Brooklyn community.
WHO YOU ARE
Explore Schools seeks a dedicated school operations professional to join our team as an Operations Associate. As with any member of the operations team, the role requires flexibility and the ability to wear many hats in service of helping the school meet its goals and objectives. Our ideal candidate will have strong organizational skills and a demonstrated track record of navigating challenging demands swiftly, thoughtfully, and in a detailed manner. This is an extraordinary opportunity for new and experienced operations or administrative personnel to apply effective administrative operating systems in the setting of a mission-driven organization.
Additionally, you are/possess:
- Dedicated to working in communities that have historically been underserved and under-resourced
- Committed to thoughtfully engaging in identity work necessary to take a culturally responsive approach to pedagogy and relationship-building with students and colleagues
- Strong technical computer skills
- A steadfast commitment to collaboration and teamwork
- Professional integrity, flexibility, and a reflective attitude
- The ability to execute tasks efficiently and with a sense of urgency and attention to detail
- The ability to work with and manage others up, down and sideways.
- The ability to execute and communicate in a direct and sensitive fashion
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Prior related experience, preferred
- Spanish or Haitian Creole fluency, a plus
- Familiarity with Crown Heights, Canarsie, or Flatbush neighborhoods, a plus
WHAT YOU’LL DO
The Operations Associate (OA) plays an important role in supporting day-to-day operations and deliverables of the school as deemed by the Director of Operations. Primary responsibilities will be administrative and non-instructional in nature, including managing and executing on functions related to, but not limited to, the school’s main office, facilities, supplies and materials, safety protocols, student systems and services, technology, data management, event planning, family engagement and student supervision as deemed necessary.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinates planning, purchase, delivery and installation of school furniture
- Maintains a system to order, purchase, receive, inventory and return (if necessary) goods to ensure the school staff and students consistently have everything they need to operate and achieve our mission
- Completes all school orders in compliance with Explore Schools’ protocols for order processing
- Troubleshoots missing or incomplete orders and maintains communications with staff throughout the purchase cycle
- Ensures all orders posted for invoicing are compliant with accounting systems and protocols developed by Explore Schools
- Proactively develops relationships with vendors to assure cost-competitive products
Student Services & Support
- Coordinates services with external partners related to meals, transportation, safety, uniforms, etc.
- Assists with non-instructional student systems and processes such as attendance, school-wide systems (breakfast, lunch, recess, and dismissal), family meetings and conferences, assemblies and more.
- Ensures the safety of students (e.g. building-wide preparation for emergencies by creating action plans and communicating policies with staff, liaises to review surveillance footage when needed, etc.)
- Coordinates teaching and/or supervision coverage of students (e.g. management of the duties schedule, ordering and on-site support of substitutes, leave replacement support, etc.)
- Plan and execute open houses and other recruitment events
- Actively recruit new students by meeting families at events and in the community
- Respond to calls and emails from prospective families about enrollment to Empower
- Support student recruitment marketing efforts, such as targeted mailings, online interest campaigns, metro or neighborhood signage, etc.
- Seek out productive community relationships and build partnerships with organizations when appropriate
- Support with parent teacher organization meetings and events to foster relationships with families
- Identify other opportunities and strategies to meet enrollment targets
- On behalf of Empower Charter School, attend recruitment events, school fairs, etc.
Student Enrollment Management
- Lead Operation Team in all start-of-year enrollment and registration tasks
- Manage student recruitment data systems: SchoolMint, Power BI, ATS, and Illuminate
- Build and maintain organizational expertise in all year enrollment initiatives
- Support Empower Charter school special population families by ensuring that they have access to the information and resources necessary to apply, enroll, and attend
- Support with other data or enrollment functions
- Other special projects and duties, as needed
Staff Services & Support
- Coordinates space and facilities requests and needs, including booking permits and distribution of keys
- Coordinates space upgrades and capital improvements for classroom, office, and common areas
- Ensures leadership’s vision for physical climate, branding and beautification are met.
- Works with co-located teams, custodial staff, school safety and other building stakeholders
- Ensures the custodial staff are meeting expectation, such as physical safety compliance, cleaning, repairs, permits, events and physical climate.
- Assists with and/or coordinates (1) moving and lifting of boxes and other deliveries, (2) small scale repair and maintenance needs and (3) set-up and cleaning of spaces
- Manages systems for inventory of fixed assets, furniture and curricular materials
- Manages organizing and restocking of supplies and materials
- Coordinates usage & maintenance of machines (e.g. copiers, poster machines, laminators)
- Assists with technology (e.g. liaising with IT vendor, navigating mandatory systems, check-out and return of materials, etc.)
- Assists with daily time and attendance and personnel matters (e.g. check-out system for staff metrocards)
- Manages on-site collection of incident reports and other delegated activities related to compliance and legal matters.
- Supports vision to actualize a main office culture that provides high quality, warm, professional customer service to all stakeholders.
- Main office duties include reception, printing & copying, mail and shipments, family communication, staff communication, filing, data entry, etc.
- Provides the leadership team with administrative and ad hoc support as needed (e.g. organizing staff appreciation initiatives, coordinating surveys, coordinating professional development, etc.)
- Contributes to the overall success of the school and the network by welcoming related, different, and new requests; remaining aware of the demands on others and volunteering to help without being asked, as appropriate/ possible
- Actively engage in identity work and necessary conversations in order to dismantle white supremacy culture
BENEFITS AND PERKS
Explore Schools staff members receive a competitive salary, paid time off including network shutdown days, considerable matching of retirement contributions, and more. Additionally, you can expect:
- Comprehensive benefits package including three health plans to choose from, two dental plans, and visión insurance. We also offer flexible spending accounts for health, dependent care and transit.
- Flexible and reflective leadership: dedicated to staff development, team cohesion, and shared responsibility for decision-making, development, and team-wide priorities
- Driven and passionate colleagues who contribute to a professional and collaborative work environment
- Opportunities to sit on various committees and participate in initiatives central to key organizational decisions and strategic planning
- Our school-based staff also receive:
- Professional development: weekly PD, year-round retreats and trainings, and ongoing coaching by professionals
- Continued education support: staff are eligible to receive scholarship funds towards qualifying certification costs or higher education tuition
- Our ESI Staff also have the opportunity to seek out and attend professional development, have a supervisor committed to their growth and development, and are eligible to apply to our staff scholarship program.
LOCATION AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Explore Schools is a network of 8 charter schools located in Canarsie, Crown Heights, and Flatbush communities of Brooklyn, NY. Our schools are currently operating fully in-person. For this position:
- In-person work is required
- This is a non-exempt position and is eligible for overtime.
- The standard work week is 45 hours, though at times you may work more. For non-exempt roles, employees are eligible for overtime for any work over 40 hours.
- This role requires that you be able to stand for at least 5 hours a day, take multiple trips up and down the stairs in a day, and be able to move quickly in an emergency.
- This role also requires that you be able to lift up to 15 pounds.
- As this is an in-person role in a DOE building, all staff members are required to follow the COVID-19 vaccine mandate. Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you'd like to see a copy of the mandate.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
As discussed in our Who We Are section, Explore Schools is an equal opportunity employer. It is important to us that all staff members have a place of employment that is free of discrimination of all kinds and where staff can bring their authentic selves to work. We do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran, or military status. If any employee or applicant believes they have been discriminated against, they should let Rachel Modica-Russell or Tiffany Williams know immediately.