Position: Grant Writer
Responsible for writing compelling letters of intent and grant proposals to private foundations and corporations as well as key components of public fundraising and government relations. Research foundation, government, and corporate funding prospects; develop and write grant proposals; manage government funding application process; track and acknowledge grants and deliverables; gather data and write stewardship and metrics reports for donors; and provide direct support to the Corporate & Foundation Engagement Team as needed.
BGCB is offering a $1,000 Sign-on Bonus! - Terms apply.
This position is based at our Main Office, 200 High Street Boston, MA and is eligible to apply for a hybrid (in-office and remote) work model. It is a full-time position, Monday – Friday, 9am-5pm with flexibility to attend events and meetings as needed.
- In collaboration with Assistant Director of Foundation Engagement, meet or exceed BGCB’s annual foundation fundraising goal of $1.3M and help contribute to the overall development goal of $19M.
- Manage a portfolio of institutional prospects while researching and identifying new potential funding sources, both local and national; present new prospects and suggest next steps.
- Assist with cultivation of prospective institutional donors, serve as prospect manager for portfolio of donors.
- Write, submit, and track grant proposals and reports in Raiser’s Edge, managing deadlines for the Corporate & Foundation Engagement Team. Assist with compiling information for and writing LOIs and proposals for larger grants as needed.
- Become content expert on BGCB programs and expected outcomes. Continuously maintain updated, accurate, high-quality boilerplate proposal language and general information bank for use by Development Team and others.
- Work closely with Operations team including Clubs, Evaluation and Programs/Partnerships staff to develop meaningful grant proposals, track outcomes, and report on grant results. Communicate reporting requirements to Development, Operations, Finance and Club staff in a timely manner.
- Work closely with Finance staff to develop budgets for proposals in line with grant requirements.
- In addition to corporate and foundation grants, manage research, opportunity assessment, writing, and reporting for city and state grants, and potentially federal grants.
- Help provide exceptional stewardship to institutional donors, beyond required reporting, including the development and implementation of regular stewardship mailings (in collaboration with Donor Relations Team), site visits and other stewardship activities.
- Update fundraising database (Raiser’s Edge) with all relevant donor information, email communications, feedback on proposals, and track proposals and actions.
- Collaborate with Development Operations Team to provide information on pledges via Gift Form.
- Maintain ongoing communication with Clubs, actively support staff in local grant writing efforts, identify new funding opportunities, and tracking in Raiser’s Edge.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of Club activities, programs and outcomes.
- Assist with events managed by the Corporate & Foundation Engagement Team, and other BGCB events as needed.
- Assist with proofreading colleagues’ written materials to ensure highest quality work.
- Other duties as required.
General BGCB Expectations:
- Healthy Behavior Modeling – Teaching youth/teens the importance of living an active, healthy lifestyle is a BGCB priority. As a result, all staff is expected to model healthy behavior while working with our members.
- Inclusive Environment – BGCB values creating child-friendly environments, where youth/teens of all abilities can be successful and participate. BGCB expects employees to embrace its focus on inclusion of all members, regardless of disability or developmental challenge.
- Continuous Learning – Building the capacity of staff is central to BGCB. The organization encourages and requires that all staff participates in annual professional development opportunities that continue to cultivate their skills in the youth development field.
- Safe Spaces – Every staff member shares the responsibility for ensuring BGCB is, and remains, an environment free of sexual, physical, or emotional abuse.
- BA/BS required.
- Minimum 3-5 years of grant writing experience, including proposal, report, and budget development.
- Knowledge of and experience with public funding and government resources, and institutional donor cultivation/stewardship.
- Excellent written communication skills and strong verbal communication skills.
- Willingness to accept constructive feedback during draft phase of proposal.
- Ability to meet deadlines, manage multiple simultaneous projects, and pay close attention to detailed proposal/reporting guidelines.
- Skill at editing content to meet limited word and character counts while still providing persuasive and clear information to potential funders.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to connect with staff across diverse functions, including Finance, Operations, and direct service, as well as with staff/members/donors of diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
- Capacity to work well independently and take initiative as well as to collaborate with colleagues and work as a team.
- Candidate should be willing and able to adapt to new and evolving organizational and funding priorities and deadlines and to work occasional evenings/weekends as events and project deadlines dictate.
- Commitment to BGCB’s mission.
- Eagerness to join a quick-paced energetic development team.
- Willingness to travel between Main Office and local Clubs.
- Proficiency with Microsoft OS; Raiser’s Edge experience strongly preferred.
- Other duties as required.
Job Type: Full Time
Schedule: M-F 9am to 5pm
Salary: $56k-72k (depending on experience and internal equity)
Boys & Girls Clubs of Boston requires all staff be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Consistent with State and Federal Laws, employees who are unable to be vaccinated due to a medical reason or sincerely held religious objection may qualify for an exemption to this requirement.