Located in Doylestown, Bucks County, PA, the Mercer Museum & Fonthill Castle, operated by the Bucks County Historical Society (BCHS), are two historic concrete castles that celebrate the life and legacy of Henry Chapman Mercer (1856-1930), American archaeologist, anthropologist, ceramicist and scholar.
The Mercer Museum, one of Bucks County’s premier cultural attractions and a Smithsonian affiliate, features both local and national seasonal exhibits as well as a core museum collection of over 50,000 pre-Industrial tools. This permanent collection offers visitors a unique window into pre-Industrial America and is one of the world’s most comprehensive portraits of American material culture.
Fonthill Castle was home to Henry Chapman Mercer and served as a showplace for his collection of tiles and prints. Fonthill Castle features Mercer’s renowned, handcrafted ceramic tiles designed at the height of the Arts and Crafts movement.
The PR & Marketing Manager is responsible for broadly employing all means of communications, media relations, social media, and marketing to communicate with the BCHS’s many audiences, promote the BCHS brand, and advance its mission and strategic plan goals so as to increase awareness, visitation, attendance, membership, and philanthropic support.
This full-time exempt position reports to the Chief Operating Officer.
Overview of Duties and Responsibilities
The PR & Marketing Manager will create and leverage effective public relations, targeted media, digital & email marketing, advertising, press releases, website, social media, publications, and collateral materials to perform their role. Key areas of responsibility include:
Marketing: Create and/or manage creation of print and digital marketing materials including brochures, direct mail, email campaigns, and other promotional materials, with support from contract graphic designers as needed. Manage distribution to key outlets and work with graphic designers and printers to ensure timely delivery.
Advertising: Work with local, regional and national outlets to place paid advertisements for the organization while keeping within the departmental budget.
Social Media: Possess a strong understanding of the tactical uses of core social media platforms (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and YouTube). Ability to create and maintain social media calendars, plan and coordinate mission-driven content. Interest in staying up-to-date on content trends for organic and paid. Must maintain organizational voice on social channels and external communications and balance the needs of different departments and priorities throughout the calendar cycle.
Graphic Design: Possess solid proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (particularly Illustrator, Photoshop and/or InDesign) to create in-house graphics, photo collages, website graphics, signage, program flyers and paid media advertisements as needed.
Website: Working knowledge of WordPress to update content, refresh imagery, and monitor the organization’s website.
Publications: Manage the organization’s seasonal print and/or digital newsletters and annual report by gathering content, compiling and editing articles, and directing layout/distribution with contract graphic designers.
General PR: Write and distribute organizational media releases and fact sheets, and manage photo opportunities for targeted media. Host press outlets and film crews on-site, and facilitate successful press experiences.
● Solid proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign)
● Experience posting/managing social media for non-profit or corporation (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, and LinkedIn) is preferred. Familiarity with Later social media management software a plus.
● Familiarity with additional digital media tools such as Constant Contact, Adobe Premiere, and/or others is a plus. HTML or WordPress experience is helpful.
● Ability to manage multiple PR/Marketing projects and deadlines, and be able to take a project from concept to successful execution
● Positive, creative, enthusiastic self-starter with strong planning and organizational skills
● Top-notch attention to detail and passion for writing/copyediting
● Experience working with press and media, as well as a wide array of diverse audiences and/or community organizations
● Ability to work some weekends and evenings seasonally and when needed to assist with key special fundraising events, programs and/or press visits, with a focus on capturing events for social media
● Flexibility, kindness, sense of humor and genuine willingness to learn are essential
● Should enjoy working in a public-facing position, and should possess diplomatic interpersonal skills
Education or Experience
● Minimum of 3-4 years of professional experience in marketing, public relations, or a related field in a corporate, educational, museum, or non-profit environment
● Bachelor’s degree, with a concentration in public relations, communications, marketing, or related field, OR an equivalent combination of education and professional experience.
● Previous experience working in travel/tourism/cultural heritage marketing sector a plus.
● Experience and passion for museums a plus.
The Bucks County Historical Society provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Located in Doylestown, Bucks County, PA, the Mercer Museum & Fonthill Castle, operated by the Bucks County Historical Society (BCHS), are two historic concrete castles that celebrate the life and legacy of…
All interested candidates should send a cover letter, résumé, two professional writing samples and 2-3 examples of previous professional social media posts as a single PDF attachment to email@example.com, ATTN: PR & Marketing Manager Position.
All interested candidates should send a cover letter, résumé, two professional writing samples and 2-3 examples of previous professional social media posts as a single PDF…