Solar United Neighbors (SUN) is changing the world by creating an energy system that’s inclusive and equitable — with rooftop solar power as the cornerstone. We organize local communities across the United States to go solar, join together, and fight for their energy rights. We’re growing fast — expanding into new states, building new partnerships, and offering new services.
We’re searching for a Talent and Culture Manager who believes in our mission, wants to help us grow, and wants to grow with us.
What’s the job?
The Director of Talent and Culture leads the vision, strategy, development, and implementation of the human resources function at SUN. This role primarily oversees employee engagement and talent development to ensure that the SUN team is well-resourced, satisfied, and growing with the organization. The Director of Talent and Culture will be a champion for SUN’s diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) initiatives, ensuring that all policies and procedures are built and executed from a DEI lens with regular metrics and reporting helping the organization meet the goals of its DEI roadmap:
- Diversity: The diversity and composition of our board, staff, interns. SUN will recruit and retain board, staff, and interns/fellows from diverse backgrounds.
- Culture: Our personnel policies and workplace culture. SUN will create a work environment that is inclusive and welcoming to all and supports the professional development, growth, and advancement of staff and interns, particularly those from underrepresented communities.
- Practice: How we go about our work, including the network, partners, and volunteers we cultivate: We will build a broad network of solar owners and advocates that represent the diverse makeup of our country.
This person will also serve as a key member of the Senior Leadership Team, offering perspectives on issues related to human resources to support the organization’s mission. This position reports to the Chief Operating Officer (COO) and works closely with other senior leaders to support the organization’s overall strategic objectives.
Job duties include the following, as well as additional responsibilities that may arise over the course of the year and in coordination with the Chief Operating Officer:
Strategy and leadership
- Develop and implement a strategic human resources plan to promote the behaviors, culture, and competencies needed to achieve organizational goals.
- Collaborate with the senior leadership team to support the development and implementation of SUN’s annual organizational goals.
- Provide guidance on workforce planning and succession planning.
- Optimize costs and benefits to make SUN a great place to work.
- Provide strategic input on organizational structure, positions, and promotional pathways.
Total team experience & culture
- Develop, direct, and monitor strategies aimed at maintaining a healthy workplace culture.
- Apply best practices in diversity, equity, and inclusion to all Human Resource initiatives.
- Design and implement the annual team-wide survey. Integrate those results with other organizational data to recommend improvements and, in collaboration with the senior leadership team, revise organizational policies and culture.
- Carry out regular opportunities for SUN team members to share feedback and ask questions so that all voices are included in informing organizational decisions.
- Assist in employee appreciation and engagement events (life milestone celebrations, retreats, etc.).
- Ensure operating systems work well for staff. Coordinate closely with Operations Associate on staff on-boarding and training. Fully understand and operate all of SUN systems and have the ability to troubleshoot and support staff or the COO to address problems or strategically revise systems.
- Serve as a clear communicator for internal policy announcements and updates.
- Review, update, and maintain the Employee Handbook.
- Update and maintain Organizational Chart.
- Conduct compensation audit and provide strategic advice on compensation issues.
- Ensure staff communication, differences in learning style, and other key aspects are taken into account when rolling out new programs or operations.
- Drive talent acquisition (recruitment, interviewing, and hiring). Identify staffing, recruiting, and retention needs, and integrate team and candidate feedback to make refinements wherever necessary.
- Help with the development of job postings, including working with staff to craft excellent job descriptions, good salary ranges, and consistent titles and career pathways.
- Expand the number, type, and effectiveness of our job recruitment work. Increase the number and quality of applications. Help raise the profile of SUN – especially in diverse communities. Design and execute equitable and inclusive policies and procedures for hiring and talent management.
- Design, implement, and integrate a robust career pathways structure and employee retention programs to support team members’ growth and satisfaction at SUN.
- Create and direct a variety of initiatives to support employee development, including internal mentoring and coaching programs as well as regular professional development opportunities. Identify opportunities for training and research. Conduct training when appropriate and manage contracting for training programs.
- Manage and regularly monitor staff on-boarding processes and make improvements as needed.
- Manage and regularly monitor staff off-boarding and conduct exit interviews with departing staff. Ensure lessons learned are applied to employee retention goals.
- Monitor and report on turnover rates.
- Guide, schedule, and manage a yearly performance management system which integrates goal-setting and accountability, including scheduling, substance, 360º reviews, reviewing and improving over time.
- Serve as a point person for Employee Relations, including confidential and sensitive personnel issues that require follow up and consultation with the Chief Operating Officer, and management of the confidential internal grievance process.
- In collaboration with SUN leadership, improve upon and scale current performance management processes, including learning and development, regular performance reviews, clear and collaborative conversations around workload, goals and performance, and leadership development.
- Help lead the development of an annual roadmap.
- Compile annual DEI progress report, demographic surveys, and progress report.
- Build and manage a top-notch Internship and Fellows program for SUN.
Human resources compliance
- Develop, maintain, and review formal HR policies and procedures, ensuring equity in compensation, promotions, and performance management.
- Monitor and ensure the organization’s compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations and recommended best practices. Advise Senior Leadership on adjusting for any changes in policy, practice, and resources.
- Collaborate with the accounting team to advise on payroll, compensation, and benefits.
- Support staff and the Operations Associate on all aspects of payroll, compensation and benefits.
- Manage and maintain employee HR records.
- Other responsibilities as necessary to support organizational goals.