Citizen Action of New York founded the Fair Elections for New York Campaign in 2013. After decades of grassroots organizing, public education, building a diverse coalition, and running a large-scale strategic campaign, Fair Elections for New York won. In 2020, New York became the first state to enact a small donor public financing system since the Supreme Court’s 2010 decision in Citizens United. The program provides a multiple match on small contributions from New York residents to participating statewide and legislative candidates starting in the 2024 election cycle. This system will make our democracy more representative and equitable if it is fully implemented and utilized - building power for the people of New York and lessening the grip of corporate special interest dollars in influencing governing.
The next phase of the campaign is to do mass public and candidate education, ensure implementation steps are taken on the new system as well as other voting rights and elections administration reforms in New York. As a part of this next phase, the campaign will convene a statewide BIPOC table of democracy leaders across New York to inform the strategy and implementation plans, and lead in the development of north star goals of building a multi-racial, inclusive democracy in New York.
The coalition coordinator works with organizational partners to develop and execute coalition strategy and facilitates each coalition partner’s participation in coalition work, and is hosted by Citizen Action of New York and the Public Policy and Education Fund. This is a full-time position starting immediately. If you have strong interpersonal and communication skills, like working with a diverse group of people and are committed to building an inclusive, multi-racial democracy in New York State, come join our growing organization!
This dynamic, fast-paced role takes an individual dedicated to high quality work ethic and a desire to help others while furthering the movement. Success will take skills such as strong prioritization ability, organization skills with perseverance, and a solutions-oriented approach to the work.
Citizen Action of New York takes pride in hiring staff who share our values & characteristics.
- Commitment to Citizen Action’s mission and vision and passionate about issues of social, racial, economic and environmental justice
- Ability to think strategically and creatively to solve problems
- A high degree of professionalism and professional maturity
- Collaborative work style and demonstrated ability to work as part of a team and with people from a variety of different backgrounds
What you’ll do and the impact you'll make:
- Convene and facilitate the Fair Elections for New York Campaign partners to develop and execute a strategy to advance the next phases of the campaign.
- The development and facilitation of a statewide Black, Indiginous, People of Color table of democracy leaders that helps develop and execute strategy related to voting rights, election systems transformation and implementation of New York’s grassroots-donor public financing system.
- Lobby, and recruit coalition partners to lobby (both direct and grassroots), on behalf of the coalition. Manage and coordinate relationships with elected officials.
- Regularly communicate campaign updates to coalition partners.
- Create or organize the creation of campaign materials, talking points, organizing toolkits, digital tools including websites as needed, lobbying materials, research reports, polling, and other materials as needed.
- Oversee the execution of coalition legislative, communications, and organizing strategies.
- Organize lobby days, actions, media coverage and other campaigns activities on behalf of the coalition and/or coalition partner organizations.
- Ensure that coalition work centers the needs and leadership of directly impacted people.
- Ensure that coalition strategy is based in grassroots power-building and leadership development.
- Ensure that coalition strategy advances a progressive worldview.
- As needed, participate in fundraising for the coalition from mid and high-level donors and foundations.
- Works in partnership with campaign consultants as needed.
- This role is currently not a supervisory position, but may evolve with the work into supervision of staff.
Who you are and what you've accomplished:
- At least 3 years of professional experience working on grassroots organizing campaigns, issue-based campaigns, legislative campaigns required.
- Highly organized with demonstrated success developing and advancing programs and campaigns.
- Demonstrated success leading a legislative campaign.
- Ability to engage a variety of stakeholders including advisory groups, coalitions, forums, and elected officials.
- Demonstrated success in setting priorities, shaping processes, and developing infrastructure that creates strong and efficient advocacy efforts.
- Excellent communication, negotiation, and coalition building skills. Excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills. Experience navigating cross-organizational partnerships. Strong ability to work with a variety of personality types and work styles.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills and ability to present information clearly in a variety of formats and styles for different audiences.
- Demonstrated mastery of power analysis tools and the Midwest Academy strategy chart or equivalent.
- Familiarity with New York State government, campaign finance, voting rights and elections administration systems.
- A creative approach to problem-solving, including strong analytic, strategic and planning skills, with attention to detail.
- Comfort working with a team in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Willingness to travel statewide and work some evenings and weekends
- Familiarity with the following tools: CRMs (ActionNetwork, EveryAction/VAN), digital advocacy, story collection, Google Suite applications (mail, calendar), Asana, Slack.
- Demonstrated experience organizing campaigns for a nonprofit, business, political candidate, or similar organization.
- Knowledge of local, federal, and/or New York State politics.
- Working collaboratively in an organization at the forefront of building power across NYS
- Competitive salary
- 100% paid employee monthly medical and vision premiums
- Access to comprehensive mental health and dental plans
- 401(k) retirement plan
- Monthly cell phone stipend
- NYC positions are eligible for up to a 10% pay differential
- 12 organization-paid holidays, generous vacation
- Biannual statewide staff meetings
- Supporting remote work for eligible employees
Salary: The salary range for this position is $65,000-$72,000 depending on experience.
Please note, all benefits are subject to change.
Citizen Action of New York is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. We are looking for the most passionate people who want to join our team. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applicants may be entitled to reasonable accommodations under the terms of the ADA and state/local laws. Please let us know if you need assistance participating in the interview process.