The National Endowment for Democracy (NED), a congressionally funded, private, nonprofit grant making organization that works to support freedom around the world, seeks a Senior Manager, Grant Systems within the Grants Operations & Evaluation department. This position is based in Washington, D.C.
The Senior Manager, Grant Systems is responsible for the overall management and maintenance of the Endowment’s grants management systems (GMS), reporting to the Senior Director, Grantmaking Resource Center. The Senior Manager supervises the systems sub-team within the GRC which is responsible for the administration of grantmaking systems including oversight of training, outreach, and communication with staff to expand and support usage of systems, and liaising with IT on strategic issues. The Senior Manager provides strategic input on grantmaking systems; identifies opportunities and challenges for systems as they relate to the work of the grantmaking program and to related and dependent institutional tech systems (IT, Finance, intranet, internet); offers solutions; and leads the implementation of those solutions.
The Senior Manager, Grant Systems will develop an understanding of the Grants, Compliance, Regional Programs and Evaluation functions at the Endowment and their roles in the grant cycle and work cooperatively with them to translate business process needs into systems solutions. The systems team works with other resource teams to provide staff training, specialized reporting, technical assistance for staff, and liaisons with IT staff.
Responsibility during the first year will include serving on a project management team ensuring the successful transition from an on premise server-based GMS to a cloud-based system (REI GovGrants).
- Supervises the team managing all grant systems used by the grantmaking program staff of the NED, including the grants management system, a board portal application, and other subscription services The team currently includes a Solutions Officer, Grant Systems Administrator, and Grant Systems Assistant.
- Provides input to the Senior Director on strategic vision for grantmaking technology.
- Develops strategies for supporting the GRC’s mission of streamlining process and workflow by identifying needs and managing the technology systems supporting the grantmaking program.
- Leads efforts to troubleshoot technology obstacles to best practices in grantmaking at NED, suggesting, testing, and implementing improvements and new systems as needed.
- Works with Sr. Manager, Training and Collaboration to develop a strategy to document grantmaking systems policies and procedures, ensure the documentation is widely available, and provide training on to staff as needed.
- Oversees administration of the grants management system, including, but not limited to the following: users, groups, and permissions; codes; templates; reports; batch utilities; upgrades; modules; data integrity; and migration to new systems.
- Works with core partners at NED to optimize use of systems data in process analysis and planning.
- Oversees systems help desk and ensures prompt response and resolution of issues
- Collaborates with IT to predict, identify, and resolve issues with grantmaking systems. Liaises with software vendors and contractors for product development and support in concert with IT.
- Represents the GRC and its systems at management discussions of grantmaking policy and process, as appropriate.
- Stays abreast of developments in the fields of grantmaking and grantmaking systems, representing NED and contributing to the field as appropriate. .
- Knowledge/Experience (formal degree requirements and years of relevant job experience required):
- BA or BS degree required; Master’s degree in related field preferred.
- Minimum of 8 years’ experience, including work with a systems focus in foundations, non-profits, or grants management
- Professional credentials/certifications preferred:
- Salesforce Certified Administrator (http://certification.salesforce.com/administrator)
- Advanced Salesforce Certified Administrator (http://certification.salesforce.com/administrator)
- GovGrants Certified Administrator (from REI)
- Other Qualifications:
- Prior experience with business process analysis and redesign.
- Prior supervisory experience a plus.
- Experience in training and developing training materials.
- Appreciation of the NED’s mission. Related regional, functional, and language capabilities a plus.
- Familiarity with international activities/issues relevant to NED’s operating environment.
- Authorized to work in the United States.
- Project management or systems transitions management experience.
- Strong knowledge of Salesforce or similar platform.
- Proficiency in MS Office, including advanced Excel skills
- Familiarity with Tableau
- Ability to analyze data and interpret information to develop data management strategies across systems.
- Ability to manage and motivate project teams with strong goal orientation
- Good judgment, resourcefulness and problem-solving skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent presentation skills and ability to communicate technical information to a non-technical audience
- Highly organized and efficient; able to prioritize work based on minimal direction and multiple competing priorities
- Strong interpersonal skills; able to liaise effectively between staff of different levels and across functions
- Ability to work independently, takes initiative, and be responsive to staff requests
- Exercises judgment and discretion with multiple staff levels
How to apply:
Applications must include a cover letter, resume, desired salary, and contact information for three professional references, of which one should be a supervisor. Please, no phone call inquiries. For more information, please visit our website at www.ned.org or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The NED is an Equal Opportunity Employer.