Code for America believes government can work for the people, by the people, in the digital age, and that government at all levels can and should work well for all people. For more than a decade, we’ve worked to show that with the mindful use of technology, we can break down barriers, meet community needs, and find real solutions.
Our employees and active community of volunteers build and transform government and community tools and services, making them so good they inspire change. We merge the best parts of technology, nonprofit, and government to help support the people who need it most. With a focus on diversity, equity, inclusion, and deep empathy for partners in government and community organizations and the people that our partners serve, we’re building a movement of motivated change agents driven by meaningful results and lasting impact. At Code for America, you contribute to exciting work while learning and developing in a supportive and flexible environment. Our compensation and benefits are holistic and thoughtfully curated to represent our employees and our mission. Help us drive real generational change that lasts.
Code for America is looking for a talented Senior Partnerships Manager that will cultivate and deepen relationships between volunteers and partners across the Network Portfolio. The Senior Partnerships Manager for the Network will help realize the partnership-first strategy articulated in the ReVisioning recommendation by owning the partner experience and managing teams of staff and volunteers to deliver it. This role will report to the Senior Program Director of the Network.
About the role:
The Network Team at Code for America takes a three-prong approach to achieving the Network mission of using technology for the people, in service of a more equitable and just world. This role is a critical driver of the second prong of this approach:
- Organize. We unite coders, designers, product managers, user researchers, data scientists - and anyone who believes in the power of technology as a lever for social change - to build community and create a force for tackling some of the most pressing societal challenges.
- Deliver impact through partnership. We partner with local and national organizations and community groups to identify needs of underserved communities and provide technology support by using our practices of human-centered design, user research and data-driven decision making.
- Progress through practice. We practice and model new methods of community participation and accessibility with the help of technology. We develop and nurture communities of practice, spearhead new strategies to center lived experience, and develop democratic processes to enable the diversity, inclusivity and equity principles our mission mandates.
The Senior Partnerships Manager for the Network will lead teams of staff and volunteers to cultivate partnerships across a Network Portfolio that includes 65+ local brigade chapters, a brand new National Action Team structure, and an early stage pilot of a Community of Practice. The role will be responsible for the overall partner experience, developing partner- and volunteer- facing materials, and cultivating a network of relationships that serve as the foundation for civic tech problem identification and problem solving. The Senior Partnerships Manager will contribute to developing strategy that maximizes the collective impact of the brigade chapters, national action teams, and communities of practice as well as building an inclusive community. The Senior Partnerships Manager will manage full-time, part-time, and temporary staff as needed and will be part of a dynamic Network program team and report to the Interim Senior Program Director for the Network, Ben Trevino.
This role manages remote teams and is remote friendly.
In this position you will:
In general, the Senior Partnerships manager will be responsible for strategic Network impact through our partner-driven approach and building, maintaining, and growing partner relationships that scale Network impact by:
- Leading teams of volunteers and staff in delivering an excellent, and values-aligned partner experience (including managing and coaching individual contributors)
- Driving the identification of impact opportunities through surfacing partner goals and brigade alignment with those goals and supporting the execution of Network Impact Sprints
- Drafting communications including emails, blogs, online resources, presentations, trainings, and one-pagers;
- Managing portions program budget and logistics in coordination with the Senior Program Director;
- Manage temporary staff and contractors as needed for the execution of key partnership-focused events and initiatives;
- Traveling to Brigade sites other community events in their region, with a focus on capacity building (Ability to travel up to 25% of the time).
Support Local Brigade Partnerships (30%)
- Develop strategy in deep partnership with volunteers and stakeholders by gathering feedback from the network community;
- Measure, analyze, update, and track partnership relationship data through the Network Partnership Hub
- Develop tools for local partners and brigade volunteers to engage in relationship building including:
- Taking a collaborative leadership role in developing the Brigade Organizing Branches, specifically the Partnership Branch, Organizer Branch, and Projects Branch
- Create projects, trainings, resources, and actions for Brigade leaders and members with an emphasis on partner relationship building
- Assist brigades in developing communication materials geared toward partners and partner impact profiles (how partners have impact and how brigades can catalyze)
- Assist Brigades in managing inbound partner requests
- Identify volunteers for roles within Network structure and create opportunities for volunteers to take on discrete, meaningful tasks relating to partner relationship building across the portfolio
- Engage with volunteers across Code for America’s communication channels (including but not limited to) Slack, email, and discourse;
Direct Partner Support (30%)
- Own the delivery of the overall partner experience across the Network portfolio
- Lead a consistent and values-aligned partner onboarding experience across the Network
- Lead the development of a community in the Partnership Branch that can provide volunteer- and community-driven support to partners in who want to engage with the Network and Code for Americaʻs mission
- Manage inbound partner requests at the national level
- Coordinate with Brigade Community Specialist to Monitor and manage the intake of and response to partner and partner-related support requests; escalate issues as necessary;
- Coordinate with Brigade Community Specialist to develop and iterate on volunteer support systems and key relationship documents such as partner agreements and intake forms
- Represent the Code for America Network at conferences, events and in the field where partners will be present
Deliver Partner-driven Impact Strategy in 2022 (40%)
- Aid in the execution of the Network strategy and the delivery of ReVisioning goals, and success metrics
- Support the impeccable execution of Network Impact Sprints that includes relationship-building value for brigades and local partners at every stage of the process
- Assist brigades in contextualizing Community-Based, Participatory Action Research Methods / Indigenous Research Methods Training for local partnership and relationship building opportunities
- Assist brigades in synthesizing the output of Brigade Strategic Consultations for partnership outreach
- Develop partnership and relationship building opportunities at Brigade Congress
- Collaborate with Brigade Organizing Branch Project Manager to develop partnership requirements, standards, and guidance for projects included in the Projects Branch as well as strategies to invite and recruit new volunteers through partnerships.
- Contribute to ongoing development of regional and national partnership strategy with a focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion.
This is a great opportunity for someone who has strong logistical operations skills and can act as a friendly and effective interface between the Network team, Brigade leaders, and outside partners.
The position is a perfect fit for a deep relationship builder who believes in the power of people to win big change, and knows how to build ambitious plans to bring that change to life. You are a compassionate and supportive servant leader that knows how to bring out the best in people by listening carefully to what they have to say and revealing (or reminding) them of the powerful tools they have to serve their communities
- 5+ years experience in 21st century grassroots organizing and mobilizing, with experience working increasingly leadership-oriented positions to build people power;
- Experience managing and coaching staff and volunteers to hit ambitious goals, developing people all the while;
- At least 1 year experience of people management with direct reports;
- At least 2 years experience coalition building, network development, partner management, client management
- Comfortable speaking in large groups, facilitating meetings and delivering presentations;
- Skilled communicator with strong interpersonal skills who will work collaboratively and effectively as a member of a distributed team;
- Experience with meeting preparation including agenda setting, materials preparation and logistical considerations;
- Strong collaborator: invested in team members’ goals, consistently share and learn about team members’ activities and find ways to support.
- Volunteer enabler: effectively create opportunities for volunteers to plug in, make an impact, feel engaged, all while meeting volunteers where they are
- Detail-oriented and systems focused: Stay on top of all specific tasks/follow-up items and general areas of work; consistently meet deadlines;
- Adept at working with new collaboration tools and a commitment to asynchronous communication and working styles. This includes using tools like Asana, GitHub, Discourse and Twist as well as email.
- Email Management: Ability to write concise emails and handle high email volume;
- Optimistic approach and flexibility: Approach work with a spirit of “yes”; push work forward through obstacles and adapt quickly as things change (which they inevitably will!);
- An entrepreneurial spirit that thrives in a changing, fast-paced, high-performing organization
- A commitment to integrity, inclusion, compassion, and totally crushing it on the job.
- Ability to take on 25% travel.
It’s a bonus points if you/have:
- Experience working with the Code for America Brigade Network
- Product management experience or other technical background (user research, design, data analysis, engineering)
- Experience working in or closely with government or a community based organization;
- Relationships with grassroots and activist groups on related issues (criminal justice, social safety net, strengthening democracy, transparency, & accountability);
- Training on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI);
- Training on conflict management/mediation
What you’ll get:
- Full benefits package with 100% coverage towards select medical, dental and vision plans and contributes 80% of the cost towards dependent and family coverage
- 401k plan with matching funds
- A collaborative, hardworking and fun environment
- Leadership and teammates who value Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity
- Professional development includes bi annual 360 review process and $1000 annual budget
- A manager and org-wide structure that supports and enables professional development
- Compensation: Code for America’s salary bands are transparent internally as a part of our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are happy to extend this transparency during the recruitment process. As a part of our equitable hiring practices, we aim to target the midpoint of the 2nd quartile of the range for all new hires. The targets for this role are dependent on the market/geographic location. The targets for this role range from ($94,350 - $115,500).
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Code for America values a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ+ folks, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. Code for America is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.