GreatSchools is the leading national nonprofit empowering parents to unlock educational opportunities for their children and support stronger schools in their community. Our website reaches half of all families in the U.S. with school-age children, as well as many teachers and education leaders. We are the only national organization that collects education data from all 51 state departments of education and the federal government and then provides analysis, insights and school quality ratings to parents, communities, advocacy organizations, researchers, policymakers and others. GreatSchools.org reaches 45 million users per year, 40% of whom are from low-income households. We also work to uncover bright spots in American education and catalyze discussions about equity.
About The Opportunity:
We are looking for a versatile and highly-motivated executive generalist to join our leadership team as Chief of Staff to our CEO/ Head of Operations & Culture. This is a senior-level position partnering closely with our CEO, Jon Deane, and our entire management team, with a focus on internal operations. This role will drive organizational efficiencies in alignment with our equity & inclusion values, enabling us to sustainably generate more impact towards our mission. This individual will serve as both an integrator and operator, connecting dots cross-functionally across the org, breaking down silos and helping to translate our strategy into action.
- You have substantial strategic experience (minimum of 8+ years) in general operations, business operations, project/program management or prior experience serving as a Chief-of-Staff.
- You have a demonstrated commitment to, and understanding of, GreatSchools’ mission and a passion for equity and education.
- You have a proven track record of managing cross-functional projects and stakeholders. You are experienced in collaborating with colleagues at all levels of an organization. Your business acumen is spot-on. You are comfortable pivoting and connecting dots between different groups, including software engineering, product development, external affairs/partnerships, earned revenue, data, data engineering, and editorial/content.
- You have a self-aware, inclusive, and humble approach to leadership. You are someone who can navigate the weight of your responsibilities with transparency, integrity, and humor; inspire action; and drive measurable progress towards our stated outcomes.
- You speak your mind and push-back with diplomacy and tact. You are focused on asking the right questions and listening for what is not being said. You can unpack assumptions and get to the heart of the issue. You are comfortable with some healthy conflict and tension.
- You are an analytical thinker. You know how to structure your own thinking, and the thinking of others, methodically weighing risks/rewards. You have a bias for action, while also taking the time to get to the root of the problem.
- You have experience with, and an awareness of, equity & inclusion concepts. Your know-how enables you to bring equity into the core of how we operate as a team.
Nice Extras/Bonus Points If You Have Any or Some Of The Following:
- People management experience
- People operations experience
- Familiarity with the OKR (objectives & key results) framework
- Understanding of impact analysis and measurement
- Project/program management experience; understanding of project management frameworks
Chief of Staff to CEO:
- Provide thought partnership and structure to the CEO on strategic initiatives and org effectiveness. Step-in to serve as a proxy for the CEO, as needed.
- Reduce reactivity by anticipating CEO needs and questions and by preparing research and background information to support decision-making.
- Elevate issues to the CEO and Management Committee in a systematic and timely way. Serve as a project manager for the Management Committee (executive team); track performance, driving clarity and accountability through regular interaction and follow-ups.
- Oversee annual and quarterly OKR (objective and key result) planning. Partner closely with Management Committee members to monitor and assess progress, identify gaps/insights/opportunities, and drive action plans.
- Improve/support internal communications by translating high-level priorities into simple language to facilitate clarity and buy-in across the organization.
- Understand each functional area and its unique pain points and opportunities. Mediate tensions or roadblocks that slow down cross-functional work.
- Oversee and facilitate Management Committee off-sites and other critical meetings.
Head of Operations & Culture:
- Oversee the work of our Operations & Culture team.
- Establish and guide progress on annual and quarterly People Operations OKRs.
- Understand, manage, and streamline processes, systems, and tools, including our technology platforms.
- Drive momentum on our DEI roadmap; ensure Management Committee alignment and accountability to our DEI objectives.
- Collaborate with Operations & Culture manager on All Hands and annual staff retreat planning and org-wide professional development.
- Model and bring to life our Culture Code behaviors: Transparency, Accountability, Inclusivity, Learning.
We are excited to meet with candidates from a variety of professional backgrounds. There is some degree of flexibility in tailoring this position around individual strengths and experience.
Salary & Benefits
Compensation for this role ranges from $135-175K, based on location and experience. Candidates in the Bay Area or Pacific Time Zone preferred. If out-of-region, you must be willing to travel periodically.
We also provide competitive medical, dental, and vision benefits, as well as a retirement plan with employer match. Additionally, GreatSchools offers generous PTO + sick leave, thirteen paid holidays annually, along with a paid four-week sabbatical every five years.
Desired Start Date
Flexible start date. Ideally by October.
Applications will be reviewed on August 10th and August 24th.
Please submit a brief cover letter with your resume.
GreatSchools team members are diverse in all ways. We are committed to hiring talented staff who reflect the diversity of the communities and audiences we serve and who believe in supporting all parents, especially those who have been historically underserved. As a proud Equal Opportunity Employer, we are committed to considering applicants regardless of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.