Pitney Meadows Community Farm Executive Director actively seeks to develop and promote this regionally focused community farm that nurtures innovative stewardship collaboratively with growers, organizations and an increasingly diverse community by engaging them with our edible and educational working ecosystem in order to achieve community resilience. The Executive Director will increase assets and strengthen the impact of Pitney Meadows Community Farm across the region and provide professional leadership and assistance to the Board of Trustees in making the Farm an effective, viable organization. This role implements Board policies and plans toward the accomplishment of organizational goals; supports the staff the entire operation, growth, and development of Pitney Meadows Community Farm and is responsible for the day-to-day management of the corporation’s affairs.
PLANNING, OVERSIGHT, AND MANAGEMENT
- Stewardship of the 166-acre property, including cultivation of land for produce sale, preservation of the farm buildings, and recreational opportunities through public trail development.
- Responsible for overall operations and strategic planning.
- Work collaboratively with the Board of Directors on development of the Pitney Meadows strategic plan, which includes mission, goals, and brand; take the lead in executing and monitoring progress to ensure that the organization's efforts are aligned.
- Serve as the primary public face of Pitney Meadows, including interacting with media, businesses, and partner organizations with the goal of building a strong brand and communicating a compelling vision.
- Oversee the annual development and implementation of a community outreach strategy including calendar of events, web presence, social media, regular updates to volunteers and friends of the farm, annual reports, and donor correspondence.
DEVELOPMENT, FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT AND COMPLIANCE
- Develop, manage, and monitor the annual budget adopted by the Board of Directors.
- Work with the Board of Directors and Fund Development Committee to lead revenue development of over $1m annually through major gifts, donations, grants, programs, and events.
- Oversee capital improvement and infrastructure development projects, including maintaining a comprehensive timeline, overseeing a fair and open procurement process, ensuring code compliance, and managing contracts and contractors. Serve as authorizing signatures for all contracts.
PROGRAMS AND PARTNERSHIPS
- Oversee staff responsible for events, activities, educational programs, community supported agriculture (CSA), community gardens, food sovereignty program, and volunteers.
- Lead efforts to improve food justice in the region and “give back” to the community.
- Sustain key strategic partnerships and cultivate new ones to further the Pitney Meadows mission.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, AND EXPERTISE
- Passion for the Pitney Meadows mission.
- Evidence of appreciation for the farming and agricultural community.
- Previous success working with a non-profit Board of Directors, staff oversight, and excellence in organizational management.
- A proven record of scaling up to develop and implement strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth.
- Fundraising skills: knowledge and experience.
- Strong marketing and business planning skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and public relations skills.