Facilitated Experiences Supervisor II
Full time, Non Exempt
About The Tech
The Tech Interactive is a family-friendly science and technology center in the heart of downtown San Jose. Our hands-on activities, experimental labs and design challenge experiences empower people to innovate with creativity, curiosity and compassion. The Tech is a world leader in the creation of immersive STEAM education resources to develop the next generation of problem-solvers locally, nationally and globally. We believe that everyone is born an innovator who can change the world for the better.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who challenge each other’s assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including but not limited to those from historically marginalized groups — women; people with disabilities; people of color; people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or nonconforming; veterans; and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
For more than 20 years, The Tech Interactive has helped visitors discover their own inner innovator and the Facilitated Experiences Supervisor will play a major role in continuing this tradition. We are seeking an individual who is passionate about educational experiences that are both informative and inspiring.
The Facilitated Experiences Supervisor II is responsible for supervising the Educator team of staff who deliver high energy, interactive experiences including facilitation of science lab experiences and floor programs. High emphasis is on supporting all efforts to provide outstanding learning opportunities and customer service for all guests of The Interactive.
The Tech requires candidates to pass a background screening and provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination including 1st booster, if eligible, as conditions of employment. If not yet eligible for booster, the vaccination must be received within two weeks of eligibility in order to stay compliant with The Tech’s vaccination policy.
- Provide lab management and supervision on a daily basis, including scheduling of Educator IIs in all science labs and program stations.
- Work closely with Facilitated Experiences Supervisor I to maintain appropriate staffing levels for both the Interactive floor and all facilitated programs.
- Collaborate with Facilitated Experiences management for on-going staff observations and evaluations.
- In collaboration with Facilitated Experiences management use on-going staff observations to inform the development and implementation of proper facilitation techniques.
- Collaborate and coordinate with Facilitated Experiences management to develop and schedule training programs for Educator staff and interns.
- Maintain accurate training records for all Educator staff and volunteers.
- Fill in as a facilitator as needed. This includes leading experiences with all guests in Science Labs, Innovation Labs and/or our most open-ended program spaces — including but not limited to BioTinkering Lab and Tech Studio — using our Design Challenge Learning facilitation style.
- Fill in for Facilitated Experiences Supervisor I as needed. This includes scheduling exhibit stations for Educator 1’s and volunteers and acting as floor lead.
- Interact and communicate with the public and ensure superior customer service.
- Maintain Science Labs inventory and request inventory orders when needed.
- Communicate regularly with the Engineering and Facilities staff to assure that all exhibits, electronics and lighting in the galleries are functioning properly.
- Maintain current knowledge about The Tech’s educational programs, membership options, special events, and other visitor related information
- Act as Manager on Duty (MOD) as scheduled.
- Ensure staff follow safety and cleaning protocols. Assist as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Flexible availability that matches The Tech’s operating schedule. This includes weekends, holidays, and possible evenings.
- Bachelor’s degree in science, communication, education, or related field or equivalent experience preferred.
- Previous experience in supervising a diverse staff. Experience in supervising volunteers and interns highly desired.
- Strong ability to evaluate and coach staff.
- Demonstrated leadership skills in working with community based organizations.
- Ability to understand and follow safety guidelines without exception.
- Ability to work in a public setting interacting with visitors and follow required safety protocols.
- Teaching experience or experience working with youth in a traditional or non-traditional educational setting.
- Serious and passionate about science and technology, while also flexible, patient and able to have fun with members and guests. Ability to accurately understand, interpret and communicate information.
- Experience in engaging in and communicating technical/scientific topics to diverse groups with varying levels of exposure to and knowledge of the subject. Ability to appropriately adapt content as well as the ability to pace facilitation and make on-the-spot decisions as changes arise.
- Excellent facilitation skills that include the ability to communicate information to members and guests in a way that inspires curiosity, creativity and problem solving that continues beyond their visit.
- Welcomes feedback and coaching; is happy to seek advice of mentors.
- Excellent customer service, public speaking and listening skills.
- Fluency in one or more languages common to the San Francisco Bay Area is a plus.
- Ability to set priorities and work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to adhere to The Tech’s grooming guidelines.
- Has a strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion and is able to demonstrate The Tech’s values by leading by example. Is able to coach the facilitation team to demonstrate The Tech’s values in everything they do.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position for significant periods of time.
- Constantly positioning self based on the demonstration needs of each exhibit and program.
- Frequently moves objects up to 25 pounds.
The Tech will provide an equal opportunity in recruitment and employment to all individuals and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition, military or veteran status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.