Overall Job Responsibilities
The Director of Communications provides expertise and support for UUCR’s various multimedia communications platforms, linking program areas and informing the congregation of current, ongoing, and upcoming program opportunities. With attention to the public face of UUCR and supporting Unitarian Universalist identity, this position supports the mission and vision of the congregation.
Primary Job Duties
- Website maintenance, including creating new content and images, responding to requests and feedback from congregants, and working with volunteer Webteam.
- Editing, layout, and production of email newsletters and other electronic communications, including via Realm, UUCR’s congregational engagement platform and database, and All-UUCR emails as requested by the Senior Minister or Board Chair.
- Producing similar newsletters for major staff-led program areas
- Creating and sharing newsletters for other targeted communications.
- Editing, layout, and production of internal communications materials, which may include an Order of Service, announcements, Sunday signs, and other signage on campus.
- Editing, layout, and production of regularly published print newsletters and all-congregation mailings, to include maintenance of UUCR’s bulk mail account and permit.
- Editing sermon videos and posting weekly.
- Creating and managing posts to UUCR’s public social media accounts.
- Creating, convening, and guiding the work of a Communications & Outreach Team to effectively delegate work.
- Collaborating with the Congregational Administrator and Rental Committee to broaden UUCR’s reach in the broader community.
- Collaborating with other staff and volunteer teams such as the IT Committee and A/V Team as needed.
- Working with lay leaders on publicity efforts in the community, e.g. for fundraisers and special celebrations, etc.
- Maintaining consistency in branding, messaging, and visuals, in both UUCR’s virtual and physical spaces.
- Working with volunteer archivist(s) to supply relevant materials for historical safekeeping.
- Participating in weekly staff meetings.
- Coordinating, editing, layout, and production of Annual Report.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Strong verbal, written, and social media communication skills (familiarity with Chicago Style a plus).
- Strong online editing and production skills (experience with Drupal or other CMS, and email marketing software such as MailChimp preferred).
- Strong capabilities with MS Office Suite, Google Workspace, Zoom, databases, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, etc.
- Video editing experience is a plus.
- Ability to use and troubleshoot minor issues with office equipment for print production and mailings.
- Experience in volunteer-based organization.
- Understanding the functioning of liberal religious organizations.
- Approaches position with integrity and responsibility.
- Well organized with good attention to detail.
- Works well as part of a team, but with initiative.
- Experience in public relations, publicity, or marketing is helpful.
- Degree or experience in related field(s).