CAIR San Francisco Bay Area is hiring a full-time Senior Immigrants’ Rights Attorney. This position aims to provide culturally competent immigration legal services to members of the Bay Area Muslim community.
Title: Senior Immigrants’ Rights Attorney
Reporting Relationships: Reports to the Managing Attorney
Schedule Type: Full-time (exempt). Occasional evenings and weekends required.
Location: Based in CAIR’s Santa Clara office. CAIR staff are currently working a hybrid schedule, with three days in-person and two days remote. Requires some travel throughout the Bay Area (vehicle and driver’s license required).
- Conduct client intake, prepare applications, and petitions for submission to the appropriate agencies
- Represent clients before the USCIS and EOIR
- Manage caseload and supervise related casework
- Oversee efforts to strengthen program policies and procedures
- Oversee work of volunteers, including law students and pro bono attorneys
- Participate in community outreach and educational activities, including planning and conducting legal clinics
- Working in, leading, or forming coalitions with other organizations and collaborating with immigrant communities
- Research and analyze law sources such as statutes, legal articles, and legal codes
- Prepare legal documents such as memos, motions, and appeals
- Assess clients for other civil legal services and immigration-related needs and provide in-house referrals
- Assist other staff in the production of internal and external reports
- Write and secure grants from foundations and corporations to support immigrants’ rights work
- Market immigration services
All CAIR staff are required to assist in general duties such as answering phones, weekly outreach, fundraising, and other office tasks.
- Law degree from an American Bar Association accredited school
- Member in good standing of a state bar
- At least five years of immigration law experience, specifically in areas of asylum, removal, and naturalization
- Strong time management skills with a demonstrated ability for meeting deadlines
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills with outstanding attention to detail
- Comfort working productively in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including public speaking experience
- Experience working with people from diverse cultural and socio-economic backgrounds
- Access to a working vehicle and the ability to drive throughout the greater Bay Area
- High degree of self-motivation and creativity
- A strong commitment to civil rights and CAIR’s mission
- Basic computer proficiency including knowledge of MS Office, MS Outlook, Adobe Acrobat, and LexisNexis
- Knowledge of cloud applications such as SharePoint and Office365
- Arabic, Farsi, or Urdu proficiency
- Experience working with non-profit organizations
- Compensation in the range of $90,640 to $99,000/annually, commensurate with experience
- BAR membership, CLE funding support, and malpractice insurance
- Fully paid Kaiser Health Insurance and Blue Cross PPO Dental Plan for employee and dependents
- 3% retirement matching contribution
- 10 paid holidays, 10 sick days, and 12 vacation days
Please send (1) a cover letter discussing your interest in the position, (2) your resume, (3) a brief writing example of your writing, and (4) the names and contact information of three references, using the link below.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with priority given to those received by August 15, 2022.
CAIR-CA is an equal opportunity employer.