The NAACP Legal Defense & Educational Fund, Inc. (LDF) is the country’s first and foremost civil and human rights law organization. Founded in 1940 under the leadership of Thurgood Marshall, who subsequently became the first Black U.S. Supreme Court Justice, LDF was launched at a time when the nation’s aspirations for equality and due process of law were stifled by widespread state-sponsored racial inequality. From that era to the present, LDF’s mission has been transformative–to achieve racial justice, equality, and an inclusive society.
LDF’s litigation, policy advocacy, organizing, and public education programs in the substantive areas of criminal justice, economic justice, education and political participation seek to ensure the fundamental and basic human rights of all people to quality education, economic opportunity, the right to vote and fully participate in democracy, and the right to a fair and just judicial system.
The Media Relations Associate (MRA) is a part of the Communications Department’s Media Relations Division, reporting into the Director of Media Relations. The MRA will also work very closely with all members of the Communications Department, including the Editorial, Digital Strategy, and Marketing and Brand teams.
Subject to LDF’s prior approval, this position may have the option to be remote until Friday, December 31, 2021. Beginning Monday, January 3, 2022, any candidate selected should be prepared to report to work in the office location assigned to this position.
· Manage and update comprehensive media database of journalists primarily via Cision;
· Distribute press releases, media advisories and other LDF materials primarily via Cision;
· Monitor publications, social media and other sources for relevant and timely stories and new press contacts;
· Pitch and place editorials, profiles, and other LDF related content; offer LDF spokespeople to media outlets on a regular basis;
· Create formal media/press plans for events, reports, project launches, etc.;
· Coordinate press conference logistics;
· Schedule and coordinate media interviews;
· Manage daily clip reports and other media-related reports as necessary; and
· Other responsibilities as assigned.
· Bachelor’s degree in either communications, media relations/PR, political science, or English;
· Minimum of 3 years of communications experience, preferably with a non-profit organization or entity;
· Commitment to LDF’s mission and a record of engagement with issues of racial justice;
· Ability to work well under extreme pressure in rapid response mode with attention to detail;
· Strong written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to communicate effectively with diverse groups that help to drive the LDF mission;
· Knowledge and familiarity with a range of racial and economic justice issues and comfort level promoting its ideals;
· Familiarity with Cision and Critical Mention;
· Possess strategic instincts when it comes to the media and understand how to compellingly frame complex legal issues;
· Intermediate level proficiency with MS Office applications;
· Excellent interpersonal skills, including a commitment to teamwork and ability to collaborate with diverse groups;
· Demonstrated ability to work both in a team structure and independently, as required by different circumstances;
· Strong organizational skills and ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously and in a timely manner;
· Extremely detailed and organized; and
· Demonstrated ability to adhere to a flexible and sometimes demanding schedule.
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts or requirements or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned. This description does not constitute a contract of employment and LDF may exercise its employment-at-will rights at any time.
Please note that LDF requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Accordingly, successful candidates must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit proof of vaccination prior to the commencement of employment, unless they qualify for a reasonable accommodation for bona fide medical or religious reasons
This position is open until filled.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to:
If submitting via email, please include your name (last name, first name) in the email subject line.
Human Resources Manager
NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc.
40 Rector Street, 5th floor
New York, New York 10006
The NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc. is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to you without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, age, veteran status, medical condition or disability, genetic information, gender identity, or any other protected status under federal, state, or local law.
The NAACP Legal Defense & Educational Fund, Inc. (LDF) is the country’s first and foremost civil and human rights law organization. Founded in 1940 under the leadership of Thurgood Marshall, who subsequently became the first Black U.S…