The Associate Director of Communications position reports to the Chief Development & Communications Officer (CDCO) and is responsible for the oversight and implementation of JASA’s communications strategy and partnerships. JASA seeks a strategic and creative professional to raise JASA’s brand profile by creating content and events that highlight the organization’s work. This position works independently to create local press opportunities as well as in concert with all PR consultants to analyze and support broader press opportunities to create and implement a forward-thinking, agency-wide strategy for promoting JASA’s programs, services, and campaigns through a variety of methods.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee all communications activities for JASA and its positioning as the “go to” expert on older adults. Direct all internal and external branding, digital and print marketing, public relations, and advertising.
- In collaboration with key agency stakeholders including staff and Trustees, develop and implement an annual communications strategy that effectively conveys JASA’s message to diverse audiences, including donors and prospects, current and potential clients, media, community organizations, corporations, government officials, and the general public. The communications plan builds upon the development plan to ensure that communications support agency growth.
- Identify, coordinate, solicit, and manage local press opportunities in concert with JASA program staffers. Create new media relationships and pitches aligned with JASA campaigns.
- Create and manage various borough-wide special events, including: venue selection, contract negotiation, solicitation of sponsorships, community and donor participation, printing, event coordination, event staffing, and VIP arrangements.
- Spearhead content creation efforts through in-person and virtual client interviews in coordination with program staff.
- Manage Client Ambassador Program, identifying clients for press opportunities, corporate volunteer events, and donor meetings.
- Work closely with Senior Director of Government Affairs to create newsletters and other communications to show elected officials JASA’s activities in their district and introduce constituents to ensure continued funding.
- Spearhead partnerships, collaborations, sponsorships, and cross-marketing with corporations, national and community-based organizations, and current and potential funders in order to advance JASA and elevate public image.
- Identify and utilize opportunities for JASA representatives to serve as experts and spokespeople in the press, at conferences and speaking engagements, and in published research to increase organizational visibility and impact.
- Oversee consultants, vendors, and staff efforts to ensure that goals are met in a timely, efficient, and cost-effective manner.
- Supervise Senior Associate of Communications, crafting and overseeing social media strategy and approving final edits of content.
- Support all fundraising objectives on a timely and consistent basis, and recommend new target audiences.
- Additional duties as assigned.
Skills & Talents
- A proven record of success in senior level communications positions in corporate,
government, political, and/or not-for-profit sectors.
- A record of success creating and implementing communications strategies for a
large, complex organization.
- Significant successful experience dealing with the NY media and a fluency in new social media.
- Ability to be available off-hours for rapid response and crisis communications.
- Superb interpersonal skills with an impressive history of forging strong relationships with multiple stakeholders.
- Proven ability to prioritize and meet deadlines with positive, proactive attitude
- Excellent writing and editing skills and demonstrated ability to handle topics and translate information about them to broad audiences.
- Demonstrated experience in successfully leading projects, developing research and analysis plans, and writing reports in a clear and cogent manner.
- Demonstrated experience at integrating communications strategy into the fabric of the organization and effectively reaching and influencing intended audiences.
- Sense of humor and willing team player
This position requires proficiency in the current edition of Microsoft Suite (word, excel, outlook) and Google applications. Position also requires proficiency in communications technologies and platforms such as Constant Contact, Flickr, Facebook, Twitter, and other social media. Experience with Adobe Suite preferred.
Strong ability to communicate verbally and in writing, ability to organize and prioritize tasks, ability to work independently, ability to present information concisely and effectively, excellent interpersonal skills, positive, can-do attitude, familiarity with basic fundraising principles, sense of humor!
- Bachelor degree required; advanced degree preferred.
- 5-10 years of directly related, progressively responsible work experience.
- Prior familiarity with the operation of non-profit organizations
- Ability to handle confidential information with sensitivity and discretion
- Knowledge of telecommunications and other office equipment
- Ability to complete assignments efficiently, independently set priorities, meet deadlines, multi-task, and interact with staff, board, supporters and collaborators in a professional and courteous manner
- Willingness to travel throughout the New York City including the 5 boroughs and Long Island
- Must be computer literate, and willing to learn program-specific software.
- Must be able to communicate in English, both verbally and written.
SUBJECT TO REVIEW FOR PURPOSES OF ADAAA
JASA is committed to Equal Opportunity Employment