Opportunities for a Better Tomorrow (OBT) exists to break the cycle of poverty and inequity through education, job training, and employment. OBT’s programs operate out of multiple locations and serve as a bridge to economic opportunity for youth, individuals, and families in underserved communities. Through various sector-based pathways, we offer programming that extends from high school equivalency programming to industry-certified training. OBT is funded through a mixture of government contracts, corporate and foundation grants, and private contributions. To learn more about our work, please visit www.obtjobs.org.
The job developer is responsible for bridging the gap between varying OBT program participants and gainful employment. In this role you will endeavor to increase the range of employment opportunities available to OBT program participants considering their interests, experiences, and ambitions as the foundation for job placements, and more broadly, for the identification and cultivation of potential employers. You will maintain a job bank with a diverse employer pool, provide participants with pre-employment skills, assist with preparing resumes, conduct mock interviews, teach World of Work classes, and ultimately place participants in quality, on-the-job training positions.
As expressed interest in the role, please forward your cover letter and resume via this link: https://obtjobs.typeform.com/to/WlrBXA. Enter position code YHPW2 when prompted.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Counsel participants on viable employment and other vocational options and provide current labor market information.
· Facilitate direct and indirect job placement assistance by leveraging other OBT job developers for support.
· Collect data from employers related to job orders including job requirements and skills.
· Match job skills with participants’ qualifications.
· Initiate and maintain ongoing contact with a variety of business and industry
representatives and job placement/training agencies to promote programs for participant placement.
· Make cold calls to potential employers and explain the benefits and employment
support services provided by OBT programs to employers.
· Source job leads via the internet, agencies, and other resources.
· Refer qualified participants to employers and conduct necessary follow-up after placement.
· Maintain case files (both electronic and paper) for each participant assessed.
· Maintain case files of sample assignments/projects/tests for each participant.
Support OBT’s Medical Administrative Assistant (MAA) program.
· Serve as subject matter expert in healthcare attending monthly industry networking events, webinars, meetups, and job fairs.
· Supporting our Adult Employment services across sectors through job development and job matching
· Build and maintain a diverse portfolio of employers in the healthcare sector who have entry- to mid-level growth job opportunities.
· Facilitate work readiness classes that include resume writing, mock interviews, and soft skills training.
· Assist with customizing participant resumes after each cohort to make more marketable for specific employers.
· Conduct individual work ready assessments and career advisement.
· Meet with participants on a bi-weekly basis to present job opportunities and possible matches.
· Provide job interview prep for participants before sending out to an interview.
· Execute outcome referral process to ensure participants receive a high level of support from pre-to-post hire.
· Maintain case notes of all interactions with participants via relationship management software, Salesforce.
· Attend all program case conference meetings to ensure participants are fully supported and employment plan is executed.
· Provide labor market information to OBT staff and the MAA program participants.
Education and Experience
· Bachelor’s degree preferred.
· Minimum of 4 years previous workforce development or social services experience and experience working opportunity youth is strongly preferred, or other relevant experience.
· Highly knowledgeable about the methods of job development and client placement.
· High degree of patience, and social, communication and time management skills.
· Ability to work effectively with a diverse population of participants with different obstacles to employment.
· Ability to establish positive relationships with program participants, employers and other Community-Based Organizations.
· Proficient in use of basic office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) will also be helpful.
Why You Should Join Us
· We are a passionate and motivated staff excited to propel NYC’s young adult communities
· Salary $50k + full benefits package
We value the diversity of the people we hire. Diversity at our organization means fostering a workplace in which individual differences are recognized, appreciated, respected, and responded to in ways that fully develop and utilize each person’s talents and strengths without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation/affectional preference, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.
Please note: In accordance with NYC Mayoral Executive Order and mandate, OBT requires that all newly hired employees provide proof of at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccination upon hire and proof of full vaccination within 3 – 6 weeks after having received the 1st dose. Please contact email@example.com with questions.
Opportunities for a Better Tomorrow (OBT) exists to break the cycle of poverty and inequity through education, job training, and employment. OBT’s programs operate out of multiple locations and serve as a bridge to economic opportunity for…