Third Way is seeking a Policy Advisor who can work as part of our team on national advocacy work supporting advanced and existing nuclear power as a key tool to address climate change and provide well-paying jobs to American workers. The ideal candidate would work with our Senior Resident Fellow, Senior Vice President, and other colleagues in educating policymakers on Capitol Hill, the Department of Energy, and White House, as well as allied NGOs and partner organizations on domestic nuclear policy as a key climate and clean energy strategy. This would include researching and drafting high-impact written materials to persuade policymakers and those who influence them that nuclear power is critical to put the United States on the fastest, fairest path to net-zero emissions by 2050—and analyze, propose, and publicly advocate for policy ideas that will support these vital technologies.
As the Policy Advisor for Nuclear Power, a typical day might include…
- Analyzing proposed policy ideas; determining their ability to promote nuclear innovation and deployment goals, and assessing the policies’ impact on emissions and economic and jobs outcomes;
- Working with the Climate team to develop communication with and outreach to the Hill and relevant federal and international agencies to advocate for policy ideas that would advance Third Way’s nuclear-related goals;
- Acting as a liaison to leaders in the climate and clean energy communities, and supporting our Senior Resident Fellow in engagement with the security and non-proliferation communities, industry, and academics, to promote Third Way’s climate and energy agenda;
- Conducting original-source research and analysis to better understand and explain the importance of nuclear energy as a tool to reduce emissions, and actions that are needed to innovate, commercialize, deploy, and export emerging advanced nuclear technologies;
- Authoring high-impact reports, memos, and other products that persuasively illuminate the opportunities for, and obstacles to, commercializing advanced nuclear in the US, issues facing the existing nuclear fleet in the US, and nuclear power’s role in eliminating greenhouse gas emissions in the power and industrial sectors;
- Speaking at events to disseminate Third Way’s work and perspective;
- Working with Third Way’s fellows, consultants, coalitions, and councils to maximize the impact of products, events, and communications from our staff and our allies; and
- Fulfilling, with the Senior Resident Fellow, all of the nuclear-related grant obligations, including reporting requirements.
**Please note all duties and events will be completed virtually until Third Way reopens its office which is currently scheduled for Monday January 3, 2022, at which point this position will be located in Washington, D.C.
This might be the job for you, if you have…
- have a degree in a relevant public policy or science field
- have a minimum of three years experience in national public policy engaging on clean energy issues, including nuclear power
- want to contribute towards Third Way’s mission.
- take pride in and ownership of your work.
- are curious and eager for professional development.
- think on your feet and adapt to changes effortlessly.
- communicate clearly and effectively in writing and verbally.
- are motivated and driven by your passion for opportunity, freedom, and security.
- want to make a difference and an imprint as Third Way’s newest Policy Advisor for Nuclear.
In the Third Way Culture, we are looking for…
- Self-starters: People who see and seize opportunities, take risks, learn from failure, and will bring a sustained passion for our mission.
- Collaborators: People who work in teams—sharing ideas, brainstorming, co-authoring products, and advancing its shared priorities.
- Creators: People who fosters divergent thinking; that aren’t afraid to take on the orthodoxies of the left or the right. Team members come up with original insights, find unique ways to look at data, and challenge their preconceptions.
- Results-oriented: People who function with an organizational commitment to clear objectives, ambitious timelines, accountability for results, and a focus on impact.
- Respectful: People who embrace the diverse perspectives of everyone and fosters the values of diversity, equity, and inclusiveness at all times.
WITHIN 1 MONTH, YOU'LL...
- Participate in Third Way’s comprehensive onboarding program. You’ll learn about all aspects of Business Operations, which includes benefits, IT, finance, and office operations.
- Meet your Third Way Buddy, be introduced to the entire staff, and start to learn the TW’s culture.
- Learn our current processes for payroll, compliance, and labor tracking, and how you will partner with Finance and the rest of the Business Operations team on these processes.
- Participate in weekly one-on-ones with your manager to ensure you fully understand the expectations of the job.
- Attend your departmental weekly meetings. You’ll learn about the key goals of your program, how they’re doing, what challenges they face, and how you will contribute.
- Share coffee with the COO and learn about the history and growth of Third Way.
WITHIN 2 MONTHS, YOU'LL...
- Gain an understanding each employee’s role and their contribution to the organization.
- Attend program overview sessions to learn more about each team’s contribution to TW’s mission.
- Sit in on a riveting story about Third Way’s history with one of the original founders of Third Way. You will learn about our successes, as well as our failures. This will also afore you the opportunity to learn about future direction.
- Incorporate TW’s Style Guide and Production process into your work products.
- Participate in, at least, one of our internal Professional Development trainings or a Center for Fun activity.
- Learn and experience TW’s commitment to diversity, inclusion, and respect in the workplace.
- Establish relationships with our key allies and expert advisors.
- Engage with policymakers and advocates on U.S. nuclear energy policy.
- Engage with partner organizations to assess potential global demand for U.S. advanced nuclear reactors and analyze the policy implications of this demand.
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU'LL…
- Feel a sense of comfort and familiarity with the staff, your team, and your work.
- Continue to attend weekly departmental meetings with a stronger understanding of your team’s strategic goal.
- Bring new ideas and suggestions to your weekly one-on-ones with your manager.
- Attend and participate in external functions with other members of your team.
- Complete your 90 day self-evaluation and performance review with your manager.
- Partner with your manager to establish your long-term goals for the remainder of the year.
Third Way is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates, supports, and promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion. We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation or gender identity, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable laws.