Job Title: Senior Payroll and Tax Manager
Department: Human Resources
Reports To: Director and Executive Director
Position Overview: Oversee policies, procedures and technologies associated with the processing of payroll and related taxes in the US and internationally. Responsible for managing and processing of various payroll and tax functions. *Work Schedule: Hybrid, must work in the office a minimum of two (2) days per week.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for continuously assessing current payroll and related to recommend and implement appropriate changes, streamlining of processes, and to ensure overall best practices.
- Supervise a payroll staff of four, oversee the day-to-day payroll activities.
- Provide oversight and support to the payroll manager in processing, reconciling, and transmitting payroll (semi-monthly and multi-state for all employees using Ellucian Colleague and E-Treasury.
- Provide support to manager with payroll activities (semi-monthly, multi-state payrolls; payroll tax filings; payroll garnishments; paid leave benefits; Kronos export file interface; GL interface, etc.) to recommend and implement changes for best practices.
- Responsible for all payroll tax activities, including W2 reconciliation and processing, ensuring compliance with local, state, and federal regulations, and filing local, state, and federal payroll tax returns.
- Manage the process of calculating and reporting tax liabilities, responding to questions and special requests from employees and regulatory agencies, in researching laws and regulations regarding taxes and payroll withholding procedures.
- Collaborate with various departments to address complaints, support information requests, resolve problems/issues and implement change.
- Prepare other ad hoc payroll reports on a routine basis as required by management and applicable governing agencies.
- Process and monitor employee loans, garnishees, wage levies, etc.
- Process stop payments, cancel checks, direct deposit reversals & other bank-related issues.
- Generate manual checks and transmit direct deposits for off-cycle check runs.
- Assist with updating employee changes (ie: address changes, banking, name changes and tax information), as needed.
- Respond to unemployment claims via the NYS Department of Labor website.
- Assist with special projects as assigned by management.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors' degree preferred in accounting or related discipline preferred.
- 7-10 years of related current work experience.
- Kronos Time and Labor experience strongly preferred. Prior experience using Ellucian's Colleague and ADP.
- Experience with an in-house payroll system required.
- Prior hands-on experience of payroll, wage and tax laws and regulations required
- Self-starter with strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skills; and demonstrated attention to detail. Prior supervisory experience preferred.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and willingness to work flexible hours.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel and Word) required.
- Excellent customer service skills and professional demeanor, and the ability to handle with sensitive and confidential issues.
School of Visual Arts has been a leader in the education of artists, designers and creative professionals for nearly seven decades. With a faculty of distinguished working professionals, dynamic curriculum and an emphasis on critical thinking, SVA is a catalyst for innovation and social responsibility. Comprised of more than 6,000 students at its Manhattan campus and 35,000 alumni in 100 countries, SVA also represents one of the most influential artistic communities in the world.
To apply for this position click here
No walk-ins or phone calls, please.
The School of Visual Arts is an equal opportunity employer. Diversity and inclusion is a core principle of the College. SVA enjoys a community that represents a significant number of historically underrepresented communities, ethnic and religious backgrounds, gender identities, diverse abilities, and foreign countries, and all are encouraged to apply.