At MDA, we believe our biggest asset is our combination of different backgrounds, cultures, and disciplines unite to form one high-performing team. What we do starts with our people and the neuromuscular disease community we serve. As part of the worlds largest voluntary health organization for neuromuscular diseases, MDA is leading the way in improving quality of life for those living with neuromuscular disease.
MDA is excited to introduce a newly defined position, Chief Development Officer. The CDO will play an instrumental role as a pivotal member of the organizations executive team. This individual will build on MDAs rich seventy-year legacy while pioneering new strategies and cultivating a diversified revenue base for financial growth. The role of CDO is a high- profile position with oversight of the entire Development Team, including Four Business Verticals based on Industry sector, Organizational Partnerships, Corporate Partnerships as well as the Foundation, Cause Marketing and Fundraising Events team. This is an incredible opportunity for an executive with an entrepreneurial spirit to support an important mission and help shape the forward-facing vision for MDA.
Position Overview :
As Chief Development Officer, the position will have ultimate accountability in aligning the Development Team to deliver growth across all categories of business. The CDO will leverage knowledge of the roles that fundraising, sales and marketing play in delivering results. This position will be responsible for aligning all departments and leading the team toward a vertical market approach. This will allow the organization and teams to focus on a specific area of industry/business to meet their clients need better and more completely.
The CDO will be responsible for establishing a team of high-performing subject matter experts with oversight of the units performance. Each business unit will be responsible for growing top-line revenue, establishing innovative sources of revenue, strategic large-scale programs, and multimillion dollar partnerships.
This Chief Development Officer will develop, lead, and manage a team consisting of Vice Presidents, Account Managers, Project Managers, and Specialists to deliver tangible metrics and drive revenue. The CDO will also develop and implement an effective and sustainable business strategy to identify, cultivate, solicit, and execute on revenue opportunities to meet Development Team objectives.
The Chief Development Officer is responsible for decisions that impact profitability and expense control with oversight of the Departmental budget and Profit and Loss. In addition to P&L responsibilities, the CDO will foster a culture of philanthropy by providing vision, leadership, direction, and supervision regarding corporate engagement, business development, fundraising and sponsorship management. This role will also be accountable for maintaining relationships with stakeholders to ensure planning decisions link with the achievements of the Development Team and Organizational targets and strategies.
- Steward of the MDA brand and understanding that he/she/they are responsible for increasing brand awareness and MDAs valued reputation to build a strong network within the Development Team, Business Units, Industry and Client Base.
- Ability to thrive and lead a team in a fast paced, evolving environment and staying abreast of relevant developments to inform business decisions and/or manage potential business implications.
- Fiscally responsible for the entire Development Team, and full P&L responsibility with experience setting achievable and reliable budgets, forecasts, and projections providing detailed reporting to Management in a timely and accurate manner.
- A proven and recognized data-driven thought leader with a track record of creating and implementing strategy across and within a rapidly scaling organization.
- A self-motivated team player with the ability to: proactively identify and prioritize problems and opportunities, maintain focus on big picture, and design effective solutions and action plans to meet business goals and objectives.
- Utilize business acumen and knowledge to lead the strategic planning process and understanding of how to leverage MDAs mission, programs, and services to meet community, client and business need to deliver against the Development Teams targeted short-term and long-term goals.
- Management of a diversified revenue portfolio across multiple audiences and platforms: industry, foundations, cause marketing, etc. require specific skill sets and planning strategies. Work proactively and collaboratively to consider new programs and platforms to drive revenue opportunities with existing and new clients in MDA key areas of focus.
- Continuous management of daily, monthly, quarterly, and annual review to consistently monitor and measure real time progress to preempt and problem solve for potential shortfalls and/or build on marketplace momentum to drive greater results.
- Earn and maintain a leadership position as a trusted advisor to the team and client base through the development of exceptional relationships with key decision makers and delivering effective presentations and outreach to attract new and broader audiences.
- Diligent use of Salesforce to measure and monitor all KPIs to manage individual and team goals, productivity, pipeline development, and strategic planning benchmarks, which will be regularly updated to include all client communication, documents, contacts, etc.
- Utilization of Salesforce Dashboards is MDAs primary tool for all executive and team updates. Data is required to be timely and accurate as the integrity of the data will inform budget, forecast, and strategic planning decisions.
- Explore innovative approaches to developing client opportunities and presenting ideas, proposal, programs in a way the differentiates MDA and captures clients interest. Set expectations for constant communication and meeting preparing with client to ensure recommendations align with client need and interest.
- Newly establish workflow will require early interaction to establish best practices within each Business Unit by working with stakeholders to ensure that a partnership, program, or proposal is created and managed throughout the entire process (from pre-sale, closing the deal and successful execution that meets/exceeds client or partner expectations).
- Demonstrate resilience and willingness to pivot and adapt as needed in order to grow with the organization and the clients/partners we serve.
- Quickly identify obstacles and propose mitigating forward facing solutions.
- Hire, train, assign a motivated and qualified, results-oriented team with regular coaching and skills development to be top-tier.
- Bachelors Degree Required
- 10+ years demonstrated successful business development and account management experience required
- 5+ years of managerial experience required
- Familiarity with not-for-profit associations preferred
- Experience with solutions selling and consultative sales approaches
- Strong written, oral, and interpersonal communications skills and political acumen to establish and maintain good working relationships within all organizational levels and with outside constituencies
- Demonstrated ability to meet predetermined goals and objectives
- Demonstrated success in designing, implementing, evaluating, and managing programs and strategies
- Strong collaborator with proven success in leading diverse, cross-functional teams and fostering a results-focused culture
- Excellent analytical, critical thinking, problem solving, negotiation and marketing skills
- Muscular Dystrophy Association requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Muscular Dystrophy Association will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.
MDA is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.