Compassion & Choices is seeking a Senior Manager, Direct Mail & Donor Engagement to help advance our medical outreach and education efforts across the country.
This position is primarily responsible for managing Compassion & Choices’ direct mail efforts, national fundraising emails, and efforts to make its donor base more inclusive by developing an innovative new acquisition program. They oversee our caging vendor with gift processing and acknowledgement, service donor requests, and are a leader in managing the database.
This is a full-time, remotely-located, paid position reporting to the National Director of Development. Compensation offered will be commensurate with experience.
This position will primarily be responsible for:
- Manage the direct mail acquisition program which secures 10,000 new donors annually and includes 9 mailings sent to approximately 2.5 million households. Responsibilities include: working with our agency and list broker on list rental and exchange strategies and reviewing all rentals and exchanges to ensure they align with Compassion & Choices’ values. Lists also incorporate lapsed donors and other warm lead contacts from our database. Success requires a rigorous data-driven approach, strong modeling, and identification of areas for strategic review and reassessment to ensure best possible investment return.
- Manage direct mail house appeals program which includes 8 solicitation and 2 cultivation mailings sent to 60,000 donors at all levels (general,mid-level and majors) annually. Bring forward new ideas to innovate and advance the program. Work closely with our agency (who in turn manages production partner, data services vendor, and merge purge vendor), and staff to create, edit, produce all direct mail pieces. Approve mail plans criteria, artwork, and database input. Meeting strict timelines and tight deadlines is critical to this program. The successful candidate will be able to keep all elements – and all reviewers/approvers – on track and on time.
- Responsible for national eblasts to prospects and active donors, renewing and upgrading current donors at all levels. This entails developing strategies, drafting eblast, targeting/segmenting lists with messaging that is in-line with soon-to-be-developed donor journey engagement tracks, and tracking results. Work closely with the Digital Manager.
- Create inclusive strategies and plans to ensure we reach and engage the widest and most diverse possible audience through our direct mail and national email programs.
- Overall, meet revenue goals and develop/manage a sizable budget with agency, for the following revenue lines: Acquisition, House Appeals, Middle Donors (1-4.99k), Champions, Membership, Other Income, and a portion of eFunding.
- Responsible for management of 50,000 gifts received annually. Work closely with the Manager of Development Services who serves as secondary back-up and collaborator to this position. Oversee caging vendor handling gift processing and acknowledgement, including tribute gift acknowledgement, and membership renewal mailings to 5,000 members. Oversee the accuracy of donor and gift data entry, soft credits, householding, and other data. Manage incoming gifts from sources such as bank wire transfers, DAF deposits, and other electronic deposits. Work closely with our Accounting department to prepare reports for auditors and others. Support Development Services Manager in creation of monthly financial reports and perform cross-checks.
- Serve as the primary point person in Development to field incoming donor requests received daily. Responsibilities include issuing gift acknowledgement letters, editing or canceling recurring gifts, and generally responding to, or redirecting, general inquiries that fall under Development.
- To support Compassion & Choices’ strong reputation as a good steward and impactful organization, this position also manages our charity rating site applications including the Better Business Bureau, Charity Navigator, Guide Star, etc.
- Support the organization’s Diversity, Equity & Inclusion work;
- Complete required related reports in a timely fashion (e.g., expense reports, time cards, performance reviews, and weekly reports);
- Occasional travel (to retreats, meet with vendors, etc.) totals <5% of time
- Other duties as assigned.
Preferred Qualifications (You will be a good fit):
Education and Experience:
- The successful candidate will have 7+ years of experience in fundraising with significant experience in direct mail/acquisition. Experience in developing strategies and contributing to diversify an organization’s donor base will be a significant plus.
- Demonstrated skills and knowledge of donor database/CRM systems (including complex query and report building, coding, gift structures, hard and soft credits, source codes, logic and workflows) and other basic functionality is necessary.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general communications, database reports, and financial statements. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from supporters with clarity, sensitivity, tact, diplomacy, and good judgment.
Values: Must be energized by the idea of working at an organization with the following values:
- Compassionate in our conviction that dying patients should be free of unwanted treatment, suffering or outside interference.
- Respectful of the autonomy of individuals to decide what end-of-life options are best for them and their family.
- Courageous in our willingness to confront the toughest end-of-life health challenges, disrupt the broken status quo and protect an individual’s right to self-determination.
- Credible in all our education, advocacy and partnerships — our efforts are grounded in objective research and demonstrable facts.
- Resilient in our capacity to respond to opportunities and threats in the movement so that we can achieve our vision as quickly as possible.