GrowNYC is a 50-year-old environmental nonprofit organization helping more than 3 million New Yorkers by providing essential services and taking action to make NYC a livable city, one where every person can enjoy a healthier, more sustainable life. GrowNYC Programs include:
- Our network of Greenmarkets, Farmstands, Fresh Food Box sites, and the work of GrowNYC Wholesale ensure that all New Yorkers have access to the freshest, healthiest local food.
- We blanket the five boroughs with resources like food scrap and clothing collections to make waste reduction, recycling, and composting easy for all.
- We build and support community and school gardens through volunteer days, technical assistance, training, grants and more.
- We provide 70,000 children each year with programs that provide meaningful interactions with the natural environment.
GrowNYC is committed to stopping the spread of COVID-19. We currently require all employees to disclose their vaccination status and submit weekly negative tests if they are unvaccinated. We require daily health screenings and mandate mask wearing indoors, other settings that make social distancing difficult, where required by funders and community partners, and masking for unvaccinated employees in all work settings. Please note that this is a position that currently requires employees to wear a face covering at all times when interacting with city employees and members of the public, indoors or out, regardless of vaccination status. As the situation evolves, GrowNYC reserves the right to make changes to our health and safety practices and policies, including but not limited to requiring that staff vaccinate, test, and comply with local rules and applicable guidelines.
About GrowNYC Compost Program
Established in 2011, the GrowNYC Compost Program strives to make composting second nature for all New Yorkers by operating residential Food Scrap Drop-Off sites (FSDOs) and partnering with compost processing facilities to divert food scraps from landfills and make compost locally.
Compost Driver (Part-Time)
Compost Drivers are responsible for the hauling and delivery of food scraps and supplies between food scrap drop-off sites and local compost processing facilities. Qualified candidates combine a passion for waste reduction and landfill diversion with the practical skills needed to transport food scraps through NYC.
Responsibilities (include, but are not limited to)
- Deliver supplies to food scrap drop-off sites before 7:30 AM & pick up according to schedule
- Deliver full food scrap bins to compost processing facilities in NYC and load truck for next shift
- Record number and weight of full food scrap collection bins picked up from each FSDO
- Submit recorded data via online forms within 48 hours of each shift
- Clean and organize supplies in vehicle/s as necessary
- Park vehicle/s in secured parking facility or in accordance with local parking laws
- Work with partners, participants, and stakeholders (e.g. GrowNYC Compost staff, Greenmarket staff, Parks personnel, NYPD, volunteers, farmers, community organizations, local merchants, construction personnel, etc.)
- Assist with training new Compost Drivers as needed
- Attend regular driver safety meetings and trainings
- Attend regular Compost staff meetings (every 2 months)
- Follow and enforce current City, State, Federal, and GrowNYC-mandated safety measures
- Keep up-to-date with Compost program and GrowNYC-wide communications
- Represent GrowNYC
- Work outdoors, year-round, sometimes in extreme temperatures, and in a potentially noisy environment
- Ability to lift heavy bins and supplies, up to 60 pounds
- Ability to maneuver large (64-gallon) rolling Toter carts weighing up to 350 lbs
- Early-riser who enjoys working outdoors in all weather conditions
- Experience driving in NYC and knowledge of New York City streets and highways
- Experience driving and willingness to drive larger vehicles ranging from 14-24 feet on city streets
- Willingness to travel throughout the five boroughs of New York City
- Passionate about composting, recycling, and waste reduction
- Takes initiative and excels at both independent and partnered work
- Creative problem-solver, able to troubleshoot and make quick, often on-the spot decisions
- Strong organization, time management, and communication skills
- Experience interacting with the public and handling opposing viewpoints with a calm demeanor
- Comfortable communicating and working with people from diverse backgrounds in terms of race, ethnicity, gender, including trans* and nonbinary, sexual orientation, class, and religion
- Familiarity with Google Forms
- Familiarity with and dedication to working in diverse NYC neighborhoods
- Interest in food waste and/or related issues – food systems, waste reduction, urban planning, pollution, environmental justice, environmental stewardship, gardening, farming, etc
GrowNYC Drivers must also meet the following Motor Vehicle Record requirements:
- A valid driver’s license for at least 1 year
- Ability to navigate a route successfully and independently
- 3 points or less on a motor vehicle report with a satisfactory driving record
- Ability to prioritize and make decisions independently
- CDL is not required, but a plus
Schedule: Saturday and/or Sunday availability required. Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday shifts available with regular early morning start. Weekly schedules ranging from minimum 5 hours/week up to 25 hours/week.
Compensation: This position is a non-exempt variable hourly position funded through June 30, 2022. It pays $25 per hour and includes only statutory benefits.?
GrowNYC is an Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity Employer and hires without regard to race, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, or ability.