The position is to be filled as soon as possible, with an initial contract duration of one year. There are good prospects for an extension. Employment location will be Goma, North Kivu province, Democratic Republic of the Congo, with frequent field trips.
As Sector Advisor WASH you will be coordinating, implementing and monitoring WASH activities of Welthungerhilfe's (WHH) Country Office in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC). You will take over the technical management of projects and ensure that project results are achieved in terms of promoting hygiene, raising awareness of behavioral changes in the communities, and supporting communities' access to clean water. You will oversee the WASH staff in the field to ensure that effective and consistent WASH policy models are implemented and contribute to the development of project work plans and performance reports. Additionally, you will train WASH and nutrition staff on the respective implementation approaches such as Community-Led Total Sanitation (as kick-off event), Participatory Hygiene and Sanitation Transformation, Water Safety Planning, Food Safety Sensitization, Nutrition-sensitive WASH programming, integrated liquid and solid waste management.
- Take over the technical lead on all WASH activities of WHH DRC
- Provide coordination and technical guidance on WASH to the process of development of the new Multi-Annual Country Strategy
- Provide strategic and technical guidance to WASH program design considering the triple nexus and LANN+, development of new approaches, and ensure high quality of implementation, bringing best practices from multiple countries
- Provide training on relevant approaches such as Community-Led Total Sanitation (as kick-off event), Participatory Hygiene and Sanitation Transformation, Water Safety Planning, Food Safety Sensitization, the triple nexus and LANN+, development/ adaptation of new approaches to the country context
- Manage the development of project work plans and ensure that project objectives are met
- Lead the planning, supervision and monitoring of both emergency and community WASH structures
- Active participation in the development of new WASH projects
- Close cooperation with project staff, government agencies and other stakeholders to design and implement targeted strategies to improve the access, safety, use and maintenance of small-scale water infrastructure for local communities
- Participate in the recruitment and supervision of WASH staff during project implementation
- Participate in relevant coordination meetings to present project activities, ensure coordination with other projects and assure the highest quality of project implementation
- Act as the primary representative of the project's WASH activities e.g. within the WASH cluster
- A university or polytechnic degree in a relevant field, preferably in engineering and/or water resource management
- At least 5 years of technical experience in infrastructure design and awareness raising in the implementation of WASH programs in a developing country
- Extensive regional experience and proven commitment to remote communities, local governmental WASH or water systems, processes and service delivery models in developing countries
- Demonstrated ability to analyze from a global perspective with the ability to provide practical policy advice on waste management issues based on local conditions
- Excellent diplomatic and communication skills and ability to engage with a range of stakeholders, from local community-level stakeholders to national government ministers and donors
- Strong planning skills, ability to work under pressure and to deliver results in a challenging context
- A high level of mental and physical resilience and readiness to travel to areas with volatile local conditions
- Readiness to receive necessary vaccinations for traveling to Welthungerhilfe's program countries
- Excellent spoken and written French and English; Kiswahili language skills would be an advantage
We offer you the opportunity to work in a responsible and interesting field as part of an extremely dedicated team. Welthungerhilfe attaches great importance to the personal and professional development of its employees and the balance of their work and private life. Remuneration is based on our gender-independent salary scale. In addition, Welthungerhilfe offers numerous other benefits, which are listed under "Our benefits".
Please send your application via our online recruiting system by June 26, 2022 by following this link. Welthungerhilfe is committed to fighting terrorism in all its activities. Accordingly, any applicant who is offered employment will be screened against lists of known and suspected terrorists.
*Welthungerhilfe values diversity and ensures an inclusive, non-discriminatory working environment. We welcome applications from suitably qualified people from all sections of the community.