Originally founded in 1991 as Harlem RBI, DREAM has grown to annually serve more than 2,500 youth across East Harlem and the South Bronx through a network of six PreK-12, extended-day, extended-year DREAM Charter Schools and community sports-based youth development programs. Through our commitment to rigorous academics, social-emotional learning, deep family and community engagement, and health and wellness, we create lifelong learners who are equipped to fulfill their vision of success in and out of the classroom. We dream big, as well, with an aggressive five-year plan to expand to serve 3,500 students across seven schools—growing our organization's impact and leveling the playing field for all children. To learn more, visit wearedream.org.
DREAM is seeking dynamic individuals to serve as Summer League Coordinators in our elementary-age REAL Kids program in East Harlem, the South Bronx, and Highbridge. Reporting to the Manager of Athletics, Health, and Wellness, League Coordinators have direct oversight of a group of 4-12 elementary aged baseball and softball teams, including supervising high school-aged coaches and serving as liaison between REAL Kids Site Managers and Athletics, Health, and Wellness staff.
The ideal candidate is a reliable team player with a commitment to youth development, familiarity with the sports of baseball and softball, and the ability to motivate and manage teenage and college-age coaches. The League Coordinators are key members of the program team and ensure the continued excellence, growth and sustainability of DREAM's programs.
Like all DREAM employees, the League Coordinators should demonstrate a strong commitment to the mission and values of DREAM and should have substantial expertise in all areas of responsibility.
- Supervise 10+ high-school aged coaches;
- Drive implementation of youth baseball and softball practices;
- Model and encourage positive youth behaviors, high energy, and skill building and promote DREAM's mission, values and organizational policies to all staff, participants and volunteers;
- Lead morning huddles with Youth Workers to review Athletics curriculum, train in facilitation best practices and strategies, and provide staff with coaching and feedback;
- Oversee their league's baseball and softball programming;
- Monitor youth and staff during practices and games;
- Attend and co-facilitate meetings with high school-aged coaches (daily) and college-aged coaches (2x/week);
- Aide in carrying out Program Quality Observations, the All Star selection process, act as head coach for All-Star team and assist during Championship day;
- Conduct performance evaluations for high school-aged summer coaches;
- Ensure all necessary materials are available or requested for use on the field;
- Responsible for ensuring all playing surfaces are safe and for filing incident reports;
- Collaborate with program leadership and the baseball and softball staff to effectively integrate and continuously improve baseball and softball programming;
- Participate in training, professional development and tactical meetings;
- Serve as liaison between program staff and baseball/softball staff;
- Implement all health and safety protocols as required;
- Other duties as required
- 18+ years old and high school diploma or equivalent required;
- 2+ years experience working in sports-based youth development;
- Ability to promote, model and uphold positive youth development principles;
- Demonstrated strength as a baseball or softball coach strongly preferred;
- Experience playing baseball or softball strongly preferred;
- Experience managing/supervising a team of 10+ staff members preferred;
- 2+ years experience in summer youth development or athletics program planning and implementation, preferred;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, organization skills and attention to detail;
- A leader that demonstrates the ability to manage staff effectively in a sports based setting;
- A leader with the desire to show initiative with the ability to problem solve effectively on their own as well as part of a team;
- Experience modeling and training staff in behavior management and de-escalation strategies with youth;
- Bilingual (English/Spanish), a plus.
- June 13 - August 11, 2022
- 2 days of training in May
- Between June 13 - June 17: 2 hours per day of afternoon training, times TBD
- Between June 21 - August 11: M/W: 8am-5pm; Tu/Thurs: 11am-5pm (additional hours 8/1 & 8/3: 5pm-8pm; 8/12: 8am-4pm)
<i>Program dates and hours are subject to change.</i>
- East Harlem sites:
- 1960 1st Ave
- DREAM Charter School - East Harlem: 1991 2nd Ave
- PS 146: 421 E 106th Street
- South Bronx sites:
- Dream Mott Haven: 411 Wales Ave
- PS 18: 502 Morris Ave
- Highbridge sites:
- Highbridge - PS 73: 1020 Anderson Ave
DREAM's VACCINATION POLICY
DREAM requires vaccination against COVID-19 for all employees, including a booster dose. Part-time staff hired for the summer season only, are exempt from the booster dose, however they must have received a 2-dose series or a single-dose COVID-19 vaccine. Reasonable Accommodations based on a qualifying disability or sincerely held religious belief are being considered in accordance with applicable law.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION
At DREAM, diversity, equity, and inclusion are a matter of mission.
From our schools to our playing fields, DREAM is committed to building a team where each individual can bring their full identity and experience to work because representation matters—it enriches our team culture, enhances our ability to innovate, and strengthens our impact in and out of the classroom. DREAM engages staff that represent and appreciate the diversity of our majority Black and Hispanic student body, while working to ensure that our practices are equitable, welcoming, and productive. We are dedicated to creating a world where youth, especially youth of color, have permission to dream—along with the tools and opportunities to make their dreams reality.
Come dream with us.
All Kids Can. This Kid Can.
DREAM is Family.
Fun is a Serious Value.
Teamwork Makes the DREAM Work.
Fail. Persist. Exceed.
<img src="https://www.click2apply.net/v/MaBYyMiJgj1bQClb5FaV8g" />