Role & Responsibilities
The Surge Logistics officer supports the provision of logistical support to Renk project. The Surge Logistics Officers’ primary role is to provide managerial capacities in the daily operations and to ensure the effective continuation of logistical services in Renk.
Medair South Sudan is a multi-sector relief programme including: provision of Primary Health Care, Nutrition, Health and Hygiene Promotion, Water and Sanitation and Shelter & NFI distributions across fixed and emergency response locations throughout South Sudan. The goal is to assist in reducing morbidity and mortality in vulnerable communities in South Sudan.
Workplace & Working Conditions
Field based position in Renk, South Sudan. Working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 3 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Support the Project Support Manager and the Project Coordinator by coordinating the day-to-day logistics operations following Medair policies and procedures, in a transparent, accountable, efficient and cost-effective manner.
- Provide technical oversight and ensure proper supply chain management practices and procedures are in place and maintained according to Renk project.
- Offer planning support and advice to project managers and others making procurement requests. Ensure supplier qualification procedures are followed, and a supplier database created and maintained reflecting supplier status.
- Support in overseeing warehouse operations and ensuring proper record-keeping for the receipt, storage and issuing of items, physical inventory checks, storage conditions, security and facility maintenance.
- Support the project support manager in ensuring the most cost-effective and reliable means of transport is used for the timely delivery of supplies to projects.
- Support with supply chain coordination ensuring the regular and timely transmission of order status, stock levels and shipment status to project and logistics staff, so they are well-informed and well-prepared for incoming goods and material.
- Cover for the project support manager and deputy logistics manager as needed.
- Represent Medair positively and professionally contributing to the continuation of a positive image and overall credibility of the organisation, notably through the application of Medair’s mandate, ethics and values.
- Proactively engage with line managers in areas where there are needs for improvement as well as to ensure proper coordination and adequate information sharing, address common concerns/problems and seek solutions.
Staff Management Support
- Identify and suggest possibilities for capacity building for individuals in Renk logistics team members.
- Ensure Medair operating procedures, software tools, and all standardised formats are used, and guidelines are followed.
- Ensure adequate anti-fraud procedures are in place to detect and ultimately prevent loss or fraud.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary
- Professional qualification in Logistics or training in Supply Chain Management, Business Management or a related field.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
- Minimum of two years of relevant logistics and management experience in emergency and/or development context
- Experience working in a cross-cultural setting, preferably in the logistics sector.
- Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and HAP Standards and other international humanitarian guidelines and protocols.
- Advanced planning, coordination, assessment, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Technical understanding of mechanical and communication equipment.
- Demonstrable knowledge of rules, regulations and donor policies governing the compliance/regulatory management of procurement rules from US, EU, UN and other agencies.
- Strong leadership and project management skills.
- Able to oversee multiple tasks, prioritising and delegating as required.
- Ability to communicate effectively with programme teams and be able to represent Medair with UN organisations, other international NGO’s and local authorities.
- Capacity to work under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner.
- Diplomatic, especially for working with authorities and suppliers.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work both independently and as a member of a team.
- Strong organisational skills, excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
All new deploying international staff to Medair’s country programmes (and other roles which require field travel) should be fully vaccinated with a WHO-approved COVID vaccine, supported with a COVID vaccination certificate as evidence.