POSITION OVERVIEW: The Lactation Specialist is responsible for providing lactation education and support services to expectant and new parents. These functions are performed in accordance with the organization's philosophy, policies, procedures, and standards.
ATTRIBUTES OF A COMPETITIVE CANDIDATE
- Considerate listener who believes that the community voice must be centered;
- Have at least 2-3 years in lactation consulting and education
- Willingness to embody anti-oppression values to advance the wellbeing of Black women, birthing people and families;
- An exceptional communicator with the ability to translate complex medical information
- Engage in critical inquiry to promote self-awareness and accountability and implement liberatory frameworks within personal and team objectives and deliverables;
- History of working with diverse populations in a mutually respectful manner, using strength and asset-based approaches.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage a caseload of 30-40 clients, including data entry and completion of corresponding electronic charting and data capturing.
- Work with assigned Care Team to address home visitation clients' lactation and infant feeding needs.
- Provide prenatal anticipatory guidance and classes for expectant and new breast/chestfeeding parents during the weekday and at least 1-weekend per month.
- Conduct bedside lactation rounds at the hospital for postpartum clients.
- Consult with clients having breastfeeding problems through home visitation, community, and office visits.
- Participate appropriately in communication and decision-making activities of the Lactation Program.
- Conduct in-service education for partner sites and corporate businesses.
- Assist in planning lactation-related community events.
- Document all client interactions in the EHR system daily.
- Participate in weekly case conferences and monthly team meetings led by MR Team Leaders.
- Participate in quarterly staff meetings.
Other duties as assigned within the role and scope of the job
SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS TO FOSTER SUCCESS
- Certification as a Lactation Consult or Breastfeeding Specialist
- Associates degree (preferred) and experience with the targeted population
- Knowledge of whole foods-based diets, women's health, and herbs is a plus
- Demonstrated interest and/or strong understanding of current and emerging maternal and reproductive health issues
- Proficiency in Medical terminology and SOAP charting
- Self-motivated, able to balance multiple priorities, and excellent organizational skills
- Ability to work collaboratively as a member of a team
- Strong focus on being strategic, problem-solving, and solution-focused
- Outstanding verbal and written communication; skilled in writing notes and reports
- Ability to organize and maintain complete, accurate records and file reports on time
- Willingness to engage in continuous learning and training
REQUIREMENTS FOR EMPLOYMENT
- Must have results of a current T.B. test and annual T.B. testing
- Must have BLS for Healthcare Providers and NRP Certification
- Must pass a background check
- Must pass DC and MD Child Abuse Clearance
- Must possess Professional Liability Insurance (information will be provided)
- Must have reliable transportation to use during the workday
- Have proof of current and valid automobile insurance
- Must be COVID vaccinated and undergo routine COVID-19 testing