New Music USA seeks a highly organized, self-motivated person with knowledge of music and aptitude in web and office related applications to provide administrative support for its busy grants and program department.
The Program Associate is a newly-created role to support the growth and expansion of programs and grantmaking activities throughout the US. Working closely with the Program Manager and Director of Programs as well as the Communications team, you will have a key role in supporting the administration and implementation of grantmaking activities and our promotion of those to the field at large.
The applicant should have an equivalent of two years of relevant experience and may demonstrate this through a combination of internships, fellowships, and professional experience. Successful candidates will also have a passion for, and understanding of, non-profit work in arts and culture. Candidates will be fluent with Microsoft programs, particularly Word and Excel, and be able to manage multiple tasks and large volumes of information. You will be a primary contact with our awardees. Important aspects of the job include regular interaction with applicants and grantees, grants administration, direct response to applicant questions, collection of grantee material, and work with the communications team to sustain consistent promotion of the organizations and artists we support. Superb administrative skills alongside a friendly attitude are essential.
We are a staff of 12 who are deeply engaged and collaborative in our approach to work - a flexible and collegial attitude is essential. We all have a strong connection to the arts, many as musicians, composers, or other.
Grants Coordination & Administration (80%)
- Serve as primary contact between New Music USA and awardees.
- Administer program awards, including contracts, letters of agreement, payments and payment letters, tracking payment requests and deliveries.
- Answer general and program-related emails and phone calls.
- Assist with providing statistical and qualitative information on supported activities.
- Assist with program application processing, including reviewing projects for eligibility, data entry, and supporting the public announcement of awardees.
- Provide Director of Finance and Administration with information needed to prepare tax reporting on grants made to organizations and individuals.
- Provide support to reconcile write off of grants that cannot be paid out.
Communication & Digital Media (20%)
- Help gather and organize information and digital content from grantees through our grants management system and assemble clean, shareable resource folders so that they can be used for announcements and to demonstrate New Music USA’s impact, (such as images, testimonials, project updates, and video clips for sizzle reels, etc.)
- Help ensure the online Community Calendar is updated accordingly on the website; maintaining any internal notes if needed (such as a list of pending events to check in on).
- Provide content for website (e.g. deadlines, grantee and program updates, and other relevant news) ensuring that it is kept current and relevant.
- Assist in disseminating program opportunities to relevant constituents; prepare mass mail and email communications.
- Contribute to the planning, creating, scheduling, and positioning of content across social media channels and online platforms in alignment with the overall communications strategy led by the Communications team.
- Coordinate and assist in event preparation, marketing and promotion by serving as a liaison to key event participants such as artists and panelists, and/or their reps, including gathering bios and photos, creating announcements, assisting with technical support, and communicating info about the event such as schedules and webinar info.
Key Professional Attributes
- Fluency with Word and Excel
- Exceptional administrative and task management skills
- Comfortable with online databases/platforms and managing a high volume of data accurately
- Familiarity with online grants management platforms a plus (i.e. SurveyMonkey Apply, Submittable, etc.)
- Knowledge of a wide range of new music
- Ability to represent New Music USA professionally to external stakeholders
Key Personal Attributes
- Exceptional relationship building skills with the ability to manage and collaborate with internal and external stakeholders.
- Detail and deadline oriented, with the ability to complete tasks with minimal reminders.
- Strong organizational skills with capacity to grow in a busy and evolving organization
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Sound judgment and understanding of when to proactively ask questions, seek appropriate information, or request guidance when necessary.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion.
- Resourcefulness, creativity, and strong problem-solving skills.
- Collaborative style.
- Sense of humor.
- Ability to adapt to shifting conditions.
- Experience as a creative or performing musician helpful
- Additional language skills welcomed
- The Program Associate reports to the Program Manager
- Core working hours are 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM ET.
- Remote possible: if living outside of NYC, some travel (reimbursed) may be required for in-person events involving the full staff.
- If NYC-based, hybrid office-home working is expected to facilitate collaboration with finance, program, and communications staff. Core working hours are 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM ET.
- New hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus in compliance with If employment is offered, this requirement must be met by the date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for an exemption for religion or disability is received and approved.
- Benefits include health and dental insurance, paid vacation, sick leave, and personal days.
- All team members are required to work at highest levels of accuracy, conscientiousness and communication in order to maintain our high standard of service and commitment to transparency and equal opportunities.