AFS-USA is part of a worldwide network of AFS partner organizations that work together to advance global education and foster meaningful connections across cultures. As the networks largest partner, AFS-USA works to increase the global competency of U.S. citizens by providing a variety of international and intercultural learning experiences to individuals, families, schools, and communities.
We are proud of our staff of approximately 200 dedicated individuals, working from our national office in New York City as well as home offices across the county, who collaborate with our more than 4,000 AFS-USA Volunteers to deliver high quality programs and global education resources. These include immersion-based study abroad experiences in over 40 countries worldwide; opportunities to host foreign AFS exchange students; and global learning workshops and curricula for educators, schools, and businesses.
The Seasonal Hosting Operations Advisor's responsibilities are to assist in the daily management, review and finalization of hosted student and host family applications and to provide quality customer service throughout the process. These responsibilities include but are not limited to: screening of hosted students and host families to ensure adherence to AFS USA's acceptance criteria, AFS International standards, Department of State and CSIET regulations; communicating with AFS Partners, AFS staff and host families regarding missing or questionable content in applications and providing status updates of acceptance; writing accurate and marketable student biographical summaries; maintaining accurate data entry and updates in the Global Link database; reviewing host family applications and other required forms, collaborating with other AFS departments and other administration tasks as required.
Student Application Management
1. Process inbound student applications utilizing process checklists and verifying student information in necessary databases.
2. Determine eligibility of hosted participants for AFS programs in accordance with established program criteria.
3. Communicate with AFS Partner countries regarding missing or unclear information, and update on student acceptance status.
4. Coordinate with relevant staff within AFS USA regarding withdrawals, specific situations, or requests, as needed.
Host Family Application Management
2. Follow up on questionable or incomplete content with families, Compliance Staff, Regional Field Specialists, and Support Staff when necessary.
3. Upload and process received forms to the Global Link database.
4. Review and process Host Family paperwork, including interview and Host Family reference forms using the Global Link database.
5. Contact missing Host Family references via email and/or phone.
6. Update Host Family acceptance status in a timely fashion with the help of existing reports.
7. Transfer fully screened host family applications to partners to allow participants to communicate with their host families.
8. Assist with the collection of Host Family Orientations (HFO).
9. Other responsibilities as assigned by supervisor.
1. Ensure that AFS USA, AFS International, federal, state, and local guidelines are being followed, especially the U.S. Department of State regulations and CSIET standards.
2. Serve as a member of the Hosting Operations Team, attending staff meetings, training, and performing other duties as required.
3. Remain well-informed about all AFS programs, especially any hosting program changes.
4. Provide timely and accurate responses or information to AFS Partner countries and staff in other departments on Hosting Department Procedures while adhering to contact standards.
5. Other responsibilities as assigned by supervisor.
Ideal candidates hold a bachelor's degree or equivalent experience and will possess the following knowledge/ skills/ experience:
· Administrative experience, including proven ability to write and edit communications
· Computer literacy, including word processing, spreadsheets, email, database, and Internet applications. (Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel)
· Track record of working collaboratively to achieve results and able to thrive in a team environment
· Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
· Ability to manage multiple priorities under multiple deadlines
· Excellent organizational skills
· Excellent customer service skills over the phone and in writing
· Detail oriented
· Ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds
· Able to handle ambiguity and work in a fast paced and demanding environment.
· Commitment to the mission and principles of AFS Intercultural Programs
The Seasonal Hosting Operations Advisor will work out of the AFS-USA office in New York, NY. Currently, AFS-USA are working remotely but the Seasonal Hosting Operations Advisor will be required to work from the Manhattan AFS USA office when the organization resumes office work. The Hosting Operations Department is open from 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. There will be times when hours will have to be altered with seasonal fluctuations in workload and will include evening and weekend work. Depending on the workload, the number of hours in each day may vary. All hour alterations should be approved at least one week prior to the actual date of change. However, the Seasonal Hosting Operations Advisor must be flexible to work outside these hours and on weekends if needed as required by goals and deadlines.
It is the policy AFS-USA to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity, national origin, alienage, citizenship status, age, marital status, partnership status, disability, sexual orientation, gender (sex), military status, unemployment status, prior record of arrest or conviction (except as permitted by law) predisposing genetic characteristics, or status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual offenses and stalking, and to maintain an environment free of harassment on any of the above-noted grounds, including sexual harassment or retaliation.
AFS-USA is part of a worldwide network of AFS partner organizations that work together to advance global education and foster meaningful connections across cultures. As the networks largest partner, AFS-USA works to…