Housing Counseling Specialist
GO Northwest Housing Resource Center, a community based housing counseling organization
is looking for a committed, skilled, detailed oriented self-starter to educate and counsel clients to achieve successful home purchase, retention, and financial stability. The successful applicant will provide homeownership and financial education, counseling, administrative and reporting tasks to help individuals achieve their financial and homeownership goals.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide client intake; counsel and interview clients with respect to their overall financial situation as it relates to their housing status
- Conduct and facilitate financial and housing education workshops.
- Provide one-on-one housing and financial counseling, including sessions for action plans, budget development, analysis of credit report, debt reduction, and / or emergency savings.
- Assist clients in reviewing/understanding financial documents, information and processes.
- Follow-up with clients to resolve issues and ensure achievement of homeownership and financial goals and plans.
- Conduct financial education, foreclosure prevention, eviction prevention, and transition
- education presentations. Provide financial coaching to eligible clients.
- Be knowledgeable and current on homeownership issues, programs, products and resources in the greater Baltimore region.
- Evaluate client eligibility for foreclosure programs, loss mitigation options and other
- alternatives to avoid foreclosure.·
- Work with clients and loan servicers to ensure clients achieve desired homeownership
- outcomes related to foreclosure.
- Collect, input, track, and manage client data, utilizing client management system and other computer technology. ·
- Create and ensure completion of a client's paper and electronic case file per organizational and HUD guidelines.·
- Maintain and monitor accurate client records in online database and paper files in accordance with office and funder protocols. ·
- Produce written reports, materials and other documentation as requested in timely manner.
- Work with staff in marketing Center services and programs to address homeownership needs. Participate in outreach activities to inform the public about our programs and resources.
- Performs related duties as assigned
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree, minimum 1-2 years work experience in housing counseling, rental, and/or financial counseling; mortgage lending, processing, or underwriting; business, real estate or closely related field.
- AA degree, with 3 +years’ work experience in the aforementioned areas; high school diploma with 5+ years’ experience in the areas above will be considered.
- Housing counseling certification desired. Must obtain HUD housing counseling certification within 3
- months of hire required.·
- Current certifications from NeighborWorks America for Homeownership Education, Counseling, Default/Delinquency, NCHEC or HUD certifications preferred. ·
- Experience in conducting housing counseling in the greater Baltimore Metro area desired.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills required: ability to communicate and establish
- effective working relationships with individuals from diverse cultural, racial and economic
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills, demonstrating strong attention to detail, time management, and effective problem-solving skills. Ability to manage and prioritize assigned tasks.
- Working experience with client management systems (CMS) in day-to-day work production: implement client intake, data input, and producing reports in a timely manner.
- Strong computer proficiency and operations skills —demonstrated experience with Microsoft Office applications.
- (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook); Experience in using Zoom and/or other virtual platforms.
- Professionalism and commitment to excellence, integrity, and honesty. Must maintain client and Center confidentiality. Manage sensitive and confidential information with integrity.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team from diverse backgrounds.
- Good working knowledge of the components of housing/financial counseling, home buying and/or foreclosure prevention process.
PHYSICAL CONDITIONS & NATURE OF WORK:
Full time position – willingness/able to work flexible schedule with some evening and weekend work required. Have access to/use of operable motor vehicle. ·
Working knowledge/ability to operate office equipment; ability to set up and break down
presentations, handle and review files, and to lift at least 25 lbs.
Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications; position includes benefits: Health insurance including dental and vision; paid leave, job related professional development
Salary Range: $40,000-$45,000 yr
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals in this position, and may not be inclusive of complete list of all responsibilities and duties that may be required.
Eligible candidates interested in this opportunity, please email cover letter & resume to Ms. Goodman, firstname.lastname@example.org, GO Northwest Housing Resource Center. No phone calls please. GO Northwest is an equal opportunity employer.