GLSEN seeks a highly capable Director of Development Operations to lead the operational effectiveness of the department, and will build the structure to grow our internal capacity throughout the National office as well as Chapters, thus being better connected to our donors and constituents.
In collaboration with GLSENs Executive Director, Chief of Staff, and Deputy Executive Director (DED) for Development, this position will play a significant role in campaign strategy, pipeline development, and solicitation.
This newly created position will oversee the organization’s migration, in partnership with consultants, to Salesforce as its enterprise-wide CRM solution. The Director will manage a team of two (database manager and team administrative assistant) and add 2-3 additional staff partners over the next two years as this department provides the critical functions of: revenue processing and tracking, database maintenance, donor research, departmental filing systems, assistance in event production and cultivation/stewardship activities, and working with celebrities and influencers to drive revenue through curated experiences.
The Director of Development Operations provides leadership and coordination to the development team and the use and implementation of our organization-wide tools and platforms. As the Director of Development Operations, you will assist in building and leading the department’s strategy, vision, and approach to successfully support a wide portfolio of multifaceted revenue streams that include, but not limited to: GLSEN’s nationally recognized Respect Award galas in New York and LA, Pride, Donor and Constituent engagement events, direct mail, celebrity engagement and corporate partnerships.
Reporting Relationships and Volunteer Support
The Director of Corporate Partnerships reports directly to the Deputy Executive Director for Development.
- Assist the DED of Development and team members to develop and implement annual and programmatic goals, action plans, budgets, strategies, objectives, and tactics.
- Work with development department heads (Philanthropy, Events & Experiences, Corporate Partnerships, Institutional Partnerships) to develop a strong prospecting strategy to ensure sustainability and growth in each revenue vertical.
- Hire, manage, mentor, and coach Development Operations staff in line with GLSEN’s values and performance management standards to ensure relevant key performance indicators are met; identify and support areas for professional development and advise and direct fundraising consultants.
- Drive revenue by supporting GLSEN’s nationally recognized Respect Award galas in New York and LA, Pride, Donor and Constituent engagement events, direct mail, celebrity engagement activities and corporate partnerships.
- In coordination with Communications, build out segmentation and strategize around how the department communicates with donors, across their giving journey, to amplify our work and drive revenue.
- Ensure development team is capturing relevant donor, prospect, and moves management information in CRM system.
- Take full ownership of the Development Operations by creating, defining and monitoring operational standards National and our Chapters.
- In partnership with Operations and IT, evaluate new tools, technologies, and processes to improve speed, efficiency, and scalability of tools continuous integration environments.
- Play a critical role in building a best practices-based DevOps culture at GLSEN.
- Responsible for making sure that work productivity, information, and decision-making are operating at the most efficient and effective level for the Development Department.
- Researches and recommends new and revised development policies, processes and procedures; (oversees efficient implementation to the highest standards).
The ideal candidate should meet the following criteria:
- Extensive experience (4 years minimum) in administration and maintenance of a Salesforce instance in a nonprofit organization; Advanced Administrator Certification preferred.
- The intellectual depth, entrepreneurial drive, maturity, self-confidence, interpersonal skills, and warmth to build and maintain relationships with people at all levels of the organization, across a diverse range of educational and social backgrounds.
- Strong cross-functional contributor within team environments and a driver of organizational culture; leverages input of stakeholders in order to move work forward.
- Proven analytical and strategic skills, with experience creating data driven strategic fundraising plans and objectives, and the detail orientation and follow-through to implement those plans.
- Proven ability to build a cohesive, high-performing staff and work teams and to develop the skills and nurture the professional growth of staff members.
- Familiarity with Raisers Edge/NXT, Microsoft Power BI, and Fundraise Up.
- Schedule includes some occasional evening and weekend work.
- Ability to travel up to 10-15% of the time, including overnight travel and occasional weekends for National and Chapter meetings.
- An appreciation for the mission and growth aspirations of GLSEN.
- You care about LGBTQ+ youth. You care about changing and saving lives. You want to come to work (physically and virtually) and feel inspired every day and you want to inspire others. You want to change the world for all youth in our K-12 education system.
- You like to have fun. The work we do is very serious and extremely impactful, but that doesn’t mean we don’t have fun. We know how to have a good time and you should too.